Headed to montana for next fowl season

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Headed to montana for next fowl season

Postby wanapasaki » Sat May 04, 2013 9:26 am

Howdy,
I'm headed to bozeman this upcoming season for maybe 2 weeks, and my friend from MSU and I are going to hunt a few areas. I was wondering if any of you would be interested in letting us tag along with you guys if our spots prove to be unproductive? We are both ethical hunters and have all of our own gear and I will be bringing my new pup. We will also pay for gas/ food and provide a ride if it helps you out. Any advice would be appreciated as well. Whats your guys opinion on the best time of the year for your peak migrations? I wasfiguring it was pretty early with the snow fall out there. Thanks
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Re: Headed to montana for next fowl season

Postby wanapasaki » Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks anyways,
Hailstone Wildlife Refuge
Red rock National Wildlife Area
Lake Helena Wildlife Area
Blackfoot Waterfowl Area,
Here I come :thumbsup:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Tue May 07, 2013 9:23 pm

This was my first season here and numbers were pretty good (I thought most of the year), I've hunted a couple of the areas you listed with success. When are you thinking of coming up?
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue May 07, 2013 9:35 pm

Headed up late october/ early november. Red Rocks seems like the 'x', from what I've gathered. Last time I headed to glacier I passed this refuge before the giant lake and it look pretty amazing. Any idea of the area im talking about?
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Wed May 08, 2013 2:46 pm

I know where it is but I've never hunted there, it looks awesome though. From what I've heard there's a lot of special regulations about where you can and can't hunt other wise your timing sounds pretty good.
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed May 08, 2013 5:55 pm

Yeah I have a few friends that know the in and out's pf the area. Can't wait :beer:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed May 08, 2013 6:01 pm

huntfishnv wrote:I know where it is but I've never hunted there, it looks awesome though. From what I've heard there's a lot of special regulations about where you can and can't hunt other wise your timing sounds pretty good.

http://www.fws.gov/redrocks/Red_Rock_La ... ochure.pdf
Here you go friend, for your refernce. Not too many restrictions, just follow the map and leave the electronics at home, good luck!
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Deer Lodge Josh » Thu May 09, 2013 12:00 am

Red rocks can be good. Have shot limits there but then this year it was slow when I was there. Will warn you in late october it can be almost or completely froze over sometimes. Also pass(dirt road) in from Bozeman/Idaho side might already be snowed in. Best to have a boat (no motors) but not needed if you dont mind walking into some area. The mud can be horrible. This year water a foot deep mud another two. Was hard to row even with oars hitting mud on each stroke. Mud makes it fun to set dekes and retrieve birds too. Temps swing dramatically. We hunted in t shirts and 55 in the afternoon. Woke up to -12 the next morning. Then was 50 by 2pm. Needless to say plenty of ice the that morning. Plan your camping for this. Have met a guy there that his 0 degree bag wasn't that good and he near froze.
If the place ices early (have seen this end of september) many of the ducks leave and early season can be tough. I have hunted opener there in a blizzard with few ducks around since it was 80% ice the weekend before
One fun thing at red rocks is the variety. You can chase divers (redheads, cans, etc) out in the main part of the lower lake and then all sorts of puddle ducks. Just pick out a good hole back in the grass for puddle ducks. Usually plenty of wigeon and gadwalls with mallards and teal tossed in. I have even shot pintail there. My wife shot her first pintail ever there. I have shot honkers too. When the main migration of wigeon come through the place can have tons.
The scenery is great and the hunting can be great. Just be prepared for tough slogging in the mud and possible sub zero temps.
Deer Lodge Josh
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:48 am

I will agree with everything Deerlodge Josh said. It's a pretty sweet place in my opinion though. Hit it the first two weeks of the season, it gets cold up in that valley! The variety of birds is nice and the view ain't bad either!
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu May 09, 2013 11:54 am

Maybe I'll see you guys there :beer:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:07 pm

Nope. Good luck.
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu May 09, 2013 7:08 pm

Bulldog0156 wrote:Nope. Good luck.

You too :thumbsup:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:11 am

Might have some exciting times parking a rig with California plates at Red Rock...just sayin'. Better to go under the radar.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:06 pm

I probably wouldnt light it on fire
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:36 pm

phutch30 wrote:I probably wouldnt light it on fire

I'd love to see someone tamper with my truck :lol3:
wanapasaki
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting