MoMarsh DP or 4Rivers EBADS

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

MoMarsh DP or 4Rivers EBADS

Postby SMcGarrity » Sun May 05, 2013 1:08 pm

Momarsh DP or an EBADS? :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

here are the variables:

-i will be running a 7HP mud motor
-primarily hunting flooded fields, slews, and small water
-will hunt Missouri conservation areas
-might be pulling a few guys behind me in their layouts from time to time
-i don't have a dog currently, but will probably get one by the end of the year for training/hunting next season
-typically haul 2-3 dozen dakota floaters and a mojo or 2, blind bag, and some misc other gear from time to time
-ability to launch w/o a proper boat launch would be nice (basically carry boat then attach motor and go)

let me know what you guys think and why
SMcGarrity
hunter

Re: MoMarsh DP or 4Rivers EBADS

Postby coulterville33 » Sun May 05, 2013 6:28 pm

I did own a Momarsh Fatboy dp with a 7 HP stump jumper long tail. I have switched to the four rivers ebads and would never switch back. More room,more motor options, and more options such as shelves lights panels etc. I also run a trolling motor on some hunts and a 9.9 outboard on other hunts. Any questions ask away

Usual load for me is
4 to 8 dozen ducks
Heater
Blind bag
Gun
Dog
Battery
Fuel
Cook stove and food
Push pole
3 or 4 lucky ducks
And depending on area some goose floaters

With room to spare

And four rivers customer service is top notch
coulterville33
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Sun May 05, 2013 9:07 pm

i understand the EBADS is meant to plane out where as the DP isn't. That is what I got from the Momarsh folks. 7HP stumpjumper will be the same setup I will be running this year. Hear great things about that motor....

Any places the Momarsh could get to that the EBADS can't?

I am thinking the only con on the EBADS would be the weight. It is a heavier boat.
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby coulterville33 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:29 am

You are correct the ebads ran that motor much better. The ebads would go anywhere the Momarsh would go but there was places I would not take my Momarsh that I can take my ebads. I run my ebads down the river in our area to get back in the skinny. I would not do that in my Momarsh. Momarsh is a great boat for flooded marsh hunting but the ebads is the best over all layout boat from shallow to deep water. I didn't want to have to own two layouts for depth of water.

Yes ebads is heavier but with motor off I can load it by myself in the back of my truck.
coulterville33
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Mon May 06, 2013 6:26 pm

thanks for the feedback and insight.

anyone else out there got some opinions they want to share. i know there are lots of opinions on this forum!!!

:biggrin:
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby fireman1293 » Wed May 08, 2013 5:44 pm

Look up Hunt'em boats. Very sturdy and well built.
fireman1293
hunter

Postby erp10 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:39 pm

coulterville33 wrote:And four rivers customer service is top notch

Jason I got my stumpjumper and talked to Tom at Four Rivers, he is a top notch guy. My EBADS is ordered an on its way :thumbsup: . Hey SMcGarrity Coulterville33 Helped answer alot of questions I had about the EBADS and Motor that I couldnt find anywhere else or anyone that would take the time to answer the questions.
erp10
hunter

Postby coulterville33 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:58 pm

Glad to hear its on the way. Helps owning both boats to compare. Just got a 9.9 outboard for another choice to put on the ebads. But anyway glad I could help u out
coulterville33
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:36 pm

sending her back up to the top for other thoughts/opinions
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby 4riverman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:23 pm

To be honest these 2 boats are not even in the same class. The EBADS is 10 times the boat a Momarsh DP and as a matter of fact, 10 times the boat our own REFUGE RUNNER is. I can see you compare the Refuge Runner to the DP but not the EBADS. Each boat has its place but we tried to make the EBADS as versatile as possible, to cover the marsh and more open water and carry as much gear as you wanted to carry and also put on any motor you wanted up to a 13 hp.

I am not bashing Momarsh by no means so lets not go there please. Just saying compare apples to apples!

Come by if possible and we can let you test run one. If that is not doable, shoot me a pm and I can find somebody in your area who will let you tests drive an EBADS.
Four Rivers Layout Boats
Odessa, MO
http://www.fourriverslayoutboats.com
email: sales@fourriverslayoutboats.com
Phone: 816-694-4955
4riverman
DHC Sponsor

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:19 pm

My Osage Duck Canoe is 14' X 5' and rated for 1000# (~2X the EBADS) w/4 passengers and a 15HP rating. It drafts 3" at 3/4 load and 5" at max load. It weighs ~30# less than the EBADS.

Next to it, the Bankes Intruder deserves a very close look. :beer:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby coulterville33 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:24 pm

What kind of hull is on the Osage. I've heard they are stable but not good under power by a mm or outboard but I could be looking at a different boat
coulterville33
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:25 am

coulterville33 wrote:What kind of hull is on the Osage. I've heard they are stable but not good under power by a mm or outboard but I could be looking at a different boat

It's a displacement type hull.

With the 9.8HP Tohatsu (w/Attwood gull-wing style hyfrofoil attached) I get 17-19MPH (w/2 guys, pup & gear) per the GPS.

BTW, with the double-ended feature, I've placed the universal mount for the 1.7HP Rickshaw on the opposite end so, when needing to run a distance, the OB is used and when the skinny water is reached, the Rickshaw is fired up. It pushes the hull at ~7MPH.

One hull, two motors (at the same time) equals universal access. :thumbsup:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby coulterville33 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:12 am

That is a nice option
coulterville33
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:14 am

4Rivers..... No more needs sayin!
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:41 pm

Looks like the EBADS just underwent a substantial price increase. Last week it was listed at $1550. Looked right now and I think it's at $1975.

I am officially out. Too hard to get one here and a $400 jump just put me out of the running. Nice rig. Just unattainable to me.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby coulterville33 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:16 pm

I would call tom the owner before you throw yourself out of the running. He is good to deal with
coulterville33
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:06 pm

Shipping is unreal to my corner of the US. He quoted me the lowest amount possible and it's still a large amount. I don't fault him for it. And I don't expect him to make it for free.

But the $400 hike is quite an increase. And over $400 to ship is money down a hole.

Sure it's a nice boat. I particularly like all the additional add-ons. The dog box/blind, the doors, the new dry box, the storage shelves,camo cover with veg straps, etc. But by the time you figure those add ons into the package it's a $3599 endeavor plus $400 shipping. $4200 is a bit steep for me on the Dave Ramsey lifestyle plan at this point. If you can afford it, Rock On.

I think the poster is in the Drahthaar market as well. That's another $1200. I must be in the wrong profession, as I can't hang
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby coulterville33 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:08 pm

I'm with ya totally didn't know what part of the us u were from I know he does some shows around thought ya might get lucky and he could hook ya up on a run by
coulterville33
hunter

Postby 4riverman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:06 pm

Unfortunately the extra weight of this boat is causing higher freight cost than the Refuge Runner or our other smaller models. I am working with customers and trying to schedule delivery trips to help out this situation. I have a load going to Florida very soon and working on a load up towards the NE. Al;ready been top WI once and working on another load. If I deliver there is still a delivery charge to help out with my expenses but it is no where near the $$$ the freight company are asking. I get an itemized bill on the freight and the fuel surcharge is about 50% of the freight. Sometime I wonder if they are just doing that "BECAUSE" you want it you will pay for it. Unfortunately this item is not a "have to have" item, it is a "want it SO bad" item". I will work with you the best way I can.
Four Rivers Layout Boats
Odessa, MO
http://www.fourriverslayoutboats.com
email: sales@fourriverslayoutboats.com
Phone: 816-694-4955
4riverman
DHC Sponsor

Postby SMcGarrity » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:41 pm

I sent Tom a PM asking about the price increase. He has been working on setting up a demo for me with a few of his customers in the STL area. If I am dropping that much on a boat, I want to try it out. But I might have just bought the thing if I knew the price of rent was going up. I will say that Tom has been very responsive and has answered all of my questions in a detailed manner. A bit better service than what I got from MoMarsh initially. And as I mentioned above, he has been trying to help me out by getting me in the boat with one of his customers.

Will post any new info.
Last edited by SMcGarrity on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:49 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:My Osage Duck Canoe is 14' X 5' and rated for 1000# (~2X the EBADS) w/4 passengers and a 15HP rating. It drafts 3" at 3/4 load and 5" at max load. It weighs ~30# less than the EBADS.

Next to it, the Bankes Intruder deserves a very close look. :beer:

according to their website, the boat you mention above is 230lbs. that is 50lbs more than the EBADS. and it has a 720lb capacity, not 1000lbs. unless i am looking at the wrong thing, the info above is wrong. :fingerpt:

http://www.osagian.com/mm5/merchant.mvc ... ode=CANOES
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby DrahthaarsRule » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:28 am

A Momarsh is rated 2 hp.
To much weight on the transom, they WILL sink with a MM in deep water if you run up on a floating log in the dark :mad:
Get the boat thats rated for a MM (EBAD) and you will never worry :thumbsup:
DrahthaarsRule
Newb

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:04 pm

Yes, Drahthaars do rule.....

Between Tom trying to make me a package deal and my fellow Drahthaar fraternity brothers endorsing the EBADS, I'm going to have to get the credit card out of the frozen jar of jelly in the freezer and pull the trigger.

I'm just $600 short
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby coulterville33 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:33 pm

Welcome back to the dark side. You will love the boat. Was hoping u and tom could work something out
coulterville33
hunter

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds