Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:18 pm

I'm sure this is common procedure to most, but maybe someone will find it useful. I usually keep a set or two of wings from ducks I've shot and zip tie them to my dogs training bumper. Then in the off season he still gets to taste and smell real feathers. By the time hunting season comes around each year he already has in his mind the smell he is looking for when he is on a blind retrieve.
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:22 pm

one more regarding your dog. Most of us pack a lunch and some goodies for ourselves, but what about the guy that is doing all the work retrieving. I always throw in a one gallon freezer bag with his normal feeding amount. The zip lock bag keeps his food spill proof as well as dry. I've seen days that this has really help recharge the batteries for my dog. Plus it will keep him busy eating his food instead of yours, while your not looking. :oops:
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:29 pm

How many times have you set your decoys up on a river climbed in your blind waited for light, only to discover that the current has stretched your decoy lines tight and they are off center from your blind. Or, possibly your boat has drifted a little more than expected while you are putting out decoys.

To remedy this problem we bring a battery operated lantern and either set in the blind or on the shore in front of the blind. This helps us know where we are in respects to the blind. If a lantern is to big try an extra flashlight.
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:31 pm

stand back I'm on a roll!!! :getdown:

Another one I heard about (I hope this one hasn't already been posted) is to take your range finder with you and set your farthest decoy out at maximum range. Then when you have fly bys you want to try or incoming ducks you automatically know your range.
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:14 pm

Ok, back to the decoy weight topic. A great source for lead is old wheel weights from tire places. Some places try to charge you for it, I wouldn't buy it. If ya call enough places someone will tell ya to bring in a bucket and take all ya want. As for the mold, I took a piece of a 4x4 and used a spade bit (I'm not positive if thats what they're called or not, but the bits that bore out holes.) to cut holes to use as a mold. Then I drilled a small hole in the center of the mold, making a sorta donut shape. In the center hole I screw in a large bolt or threaded hook. Pour the lead in, let it harden, and unscrew the bolt or hook. You now have a weight with a hole in the center to run the line through. As for tying them up, I use mostly water keels and with a saw i cut a a small notch in the keel. Wrap the line around the keel like normal and then pull the line through the notch in the keel. Keeps it locked up tight! I've done the same thing on weighted keel and to me it doesnt make that big of a difference. I do cut the notch on the portion of the keel directly below the decoy body. You will lose some sand but not enough to make a difference.
Another tip for you guys, if you like the looks or sounds of any of DJ calls contact him. David is one helluva guy and he will bend over backwards to help you out. I am in no way affiliated with DJ Calls, I just had a great experience in dealing with him!
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby diverduck » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:44 pm

If you are a robo hunter and you are hunting in deep water, try using a car intertube and cut a 1/2 piece of plywood to fit it. Strap it on and and then mount your robo on top. Test it to make sure it is stable. also adds motion on water.
diverduck
hunter

Postby DuffMaN » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:04 am

I know it's already been said, but ALWAYS have a roll of TP with you when you go hunting, scouting for a good spot, or outside anywhere. It's no fun to learn the hard way (as Stouff knows all to well...). :toofunny:

Great thread BTW. I'm learnin all kinds of new things.
"I hope I don't have any drugs in the ashtray..."
-Drummond Taylor
DuffMaN
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:11 am

DuffMaN wrote:I It's no fun to learn the hard way (as Stouff knows all to well...). :toofunny:

Isnt that the truth :hammering:
-----

But yeah, I learn all kinds of stuff here too!

Keep em comin guys! :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby greenster » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:16 pm

This one may seem a little odd to some of you but I have found painting about half a DZ standard sized mallard decoys black and add them to your spread about 3 per DZ is a good rule of thumb. I have found adding these black decoys in open eater situations Helps a lot. Though timber hunting hard to tell a difference but it works in high-light situation in open water some reason the duck can see them better.

In order to does this First sand down the other decoys of all paint try to get a ruff surface and apply thin layer of primer paint. Then sand it down a little trying to keep the primer on just making the decoy ruff so paint will stick. Then apply your black paint and I usually make the head a brown color.

Try it out and enjoy
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Hunting tips

Postby mjlduckman » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:50 pm

When hunting in a permanent blind, I use what i call a shell board. I take a 1x12 plank and cut it about 18" long. I then mark out holes about 2 to 3 inches apart. Then with a 1 1/4 hole bit, i drill out as many holes as will fit on the board. You can either drill the holes at a slight up angle or shim the bottom of the board when you attach it to the side of the blind. This is a great way to keep your shell at the ready and even sort out the different loads you'll be using throughout the day.
May the skies above you; be blackened with birds
mjlduckman
hunter

Postby Giv'em3 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:06 am

Make sure your dog has done his business (#2) before you launch the boat. Learned that one the hard way. :oops:
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If that don't light your Fire, your woods WET!!!!
Giv'em3
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:52 am

And that goes for you as well as anydody else in the boat before you head out. Oh and keep away from stuff the night before that you know will upset your stomach.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby capt. ken » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:57 pm

This may seem obvious; but don't shoot anything you don't want to eat.

I once saw somebody shoot a anhinga. :thumbsdown: He thought it was funny :eek: :eek:
shoot em, shoot em in the head
capt. ken
hunter

It's been a while for me, but here's one twice.

Postby Poke Boater » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:40 am

:salude: Here's my signature for a tip to trust.

#1 If a falling duck's head is "held up" shoot again.
#2 If a downed duck lays still on the water with it's head "held down" straight out and you detect ANY movement across the current or not with the wind shoot again.

Be Safe in the seasons that are too short; too long for PETA, Humane Society, etc.

Poke Boater :thumbsup:
#1 If a falling duck's head is "held up" shoot again.
#2 If a downed duck lays still on the water with it's head "held down" straight out and you detect ANY movement across the current or not with the wind shoot again.
Ouabache!
Poke Boater
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:44 pm

Keep extra clothes in your car!
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby duckhunter25 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:23 pm

:salude: I know alot already do but heres a basic tip. If you dont have a face mask dont be scared to rub dirt on your face to dull the shine. Your big ol face will flare more birds then anything else.

Thanks
duckhunter25
hunter

Postby jazzibear » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:36 pm

this one is sorta simple and stupid, but i always carry a little bottle of scope with me in my bag. anyone you talk to that early in the morning will appreciate it, and your calls will to. keep the good stuff coming i like this tread.
jazzibear
hunter

Postby Remington1187 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:42 pm

Obvious but can happen......DONT FORGET YOUR GUN! OR SHELLS! :eek: :oops: My friend did it once and my dad dropped us off and couldnt come back to pick us up for about 6 hours.....my friend learned how to call better anyways lol.
"And there came a voice to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.' " - Acts 10:13
Remington1187
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:29 pm

Just because your shells, or clothing say waterproof or water resistant doesnt mean you want to get them wet intentionally!
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby duckdog » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:24 pm

Take one of them lay down lawn chair's, and put some grass, cattail's, cornstalk's, or whatever your hunting in, and zip strip it to some old burlap bag's cover yourself up with it, and you have a nice comfortable lay down blind. I pick up some of these lawn chair's on junk day's
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby duckhunter25 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:53 pm

:thumbsup: When practicing calling ducks and geese at home, try and call lower and slow. its easier to pick up your misstakes and its also easier to call louder.

And your wife wont want to string you up.....lol
duckhunter25
hunter

Postby Mattquack » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:10 pm

bluegill wrote:Here's a good tip:

If you havent seen any ducks for a while, walk out into the decoys without a gun and you'll be covered up in ducks immediately. Never fails.

Or set your gun down and break out your thermos... Poor a cup of coffee, but be sure to have your buddy get ready to shoot. :yes:
Mattquack
hunter

Postby Itchy Coyote » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:42 am

I use a program call google earth or Terra server befor going to any new place to hunt. I use them both to see what is all around me and where the ducks mite be comeing from. It also helps in deer hunting.
Itchy Coyote
State Moderator

Just a tip found out last night

Postby duckmaster » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:45 pm

Now listen up and listen up well, this is serious! Dont ever,ever,ever,ever,ever go to bed with an itchy butt, because in the mourning you WILL have a stinky finger. Just a tip. :mrgreen:
duckmaster
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:23 pm

:withstupid: thats good advice. and can someone help me out with the below:

Gooseboy wrote:Just because your shells, or clothing say waterproof or water resistant doesnt mean you want to get them wet intentionally!

What about waders? j/k... but seriously, can i get my waders wet? :help:

:toofunny:
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole