Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:45 am

I wear glasses, so facemasks can fog them up some of the time. Lately I've taken to grabbing a piece of charcoal from the fire the night before. (make sure it's not still hot). place it in a ziploc bag and crush it up.

This makes a great camouflage to apply to your face and the back of your hands. Washes off easy when it's time to retrieve the dekes. Just don't get it in your eye.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby greenster » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:38 pm

ACEBLDRS wrote:Mallyard, I have been thinking of a way to do that with a few dekes , about 5 or 6 of them, with half of them on one line and half on another, so that you could have several diving at different times. I have been watching some local ducks, and when they feed, there is about 20 of them in a tight group all butts in the air, with 3 or so of them at a time comming up and diving again.

I know you posted a while back but your post was on page5 referring to jerk a Deeke. To do multiple deeks just add a fishing swivel on down a little bit before the bottle make sure you tie it good and you’ll be set.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KpHonknImRloadn » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:53 pm

no one has posted in a few days, so here it goes. when done hunting i put my T flag in my gun case so i always have it with me.
KpHonknImRloadn
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:32 pm

try spraying your new decoys with flat spray polyurathane. It will reall protect the paint. Make sure you use the flat though or they will really shine.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Brydog » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:09 pm

This is for all you guys that cant keep your gun sling on your shoulder.
Sew a large botton on the shoulders of your hunting jackets and coats. It sure makes it easier to carry other stuff when you dont have to keep re-shouldering your shooter.
I havent read all the tips, so this might already be posted.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:55 pm

For you survival freaks. Cotton soaked in petroleum jelly (vaseling) is great tinder. :thumbsup:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:07 am

One tip that i know of is to take like 20 feet of decoy line, attacht a weight onto it and then take a screw driver and drive a bunch of screws into the lead weight so they are sticking out. Then you throw the weight underneaith your decoy so the screws will catch the line and you can pull it back in.

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:51 pm

You can use a nickel as a choke wrench. :thumbsup:

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby scwaterfowler » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:36 pm

you can also use a shotgun shell. shot or unshot.
scwaterfowler
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:51 pm

Also, a good tinder is to use lint from your dryer. You can pack a lot of it into an empty film canaster. Keeping few pieces of charcoal in your survival kit isn't a bad idea either.
I hope everyone who hunts with a boat in big water has some sort of survival kit.
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby kilndux » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:32 pm

- wear two pairs of socks incase you have to "donate a sock to the hafta crap foundation"
- dont put a square "sticks out like a sore d---" blind in the middle of a goose field; spend the money, buy a layout.
-always have a animal in distress call on your lanyard or a wood duck call ( which can sound like a cripple rabbit ) because you never know when you might see a coyote
-you can get a wood duck sound out of alot of duck calls (mainly single reeds) with alot of back pressure and some strong blowing
- fiberglass rods commonly used for flag poles on four wheelers or something else, i dont know where i got em, can be great goose flag extensions
- when hunting a field for geese, put a couple of full bodies on the highest point of the field, even if its not near your spread, to catch the eye of passers by.
- geese fly later on high pressure days when its cold as hell
- geese fly sooner on low pressure days
- birds go out to feed with the wind ( harder to fly, but they are lighter0
- birds come back to roost against the wind when they are full of feed, easier on them.
- when dove hunting or hunting in hot temps, take a two empty milk gallons and fill one with water. the other, cut it about 1/3 of the way up and then sit the full one on the new "water bowl". your dog will appreciate.
- never put all of your full body goose decoys all facing the same direction -- "the korean army stance" mix them up, geese feed axxholes and elbows. 2 sentries for every ten feeders.
I'd rather be hunting.
kilndux
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:32 pm

You can use a fishing rod for a goose flag or whatever.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby casey_714 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:41 pm

I like to take a whole bunch of fishing line with me. When a duck lands in the water I lasso it and tie the end off to a rock or something. Then I let it fly around for added motion. It's great to bring back home for the kids to play with, too.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby Riverjumper » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:51 pm

casey_714 wrote:I like to take a whole bunch of fishing line with me. When a duck lands in the water I lasso it and tie the end off to a rock or something. Then I let it fly around for added motion. It's great to bring back home for the kids to play with, too.

your not serious.........are you?
Riverjumper
hunter

Training Scent

Postby IBBoykin » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:42 pm

For training, I prefer a canvas bumper vs the rubber ones, since they will hold scent. Which raises the question, how do we truly know that the scent in a bottle actually smells like a duck. So I always save the downy feathers off the chest of the ducks and put them in a garbage back for safe keeping. Then I take a canvas dummy and moisten it all over and then place it in the bag of feathers for a couple of days. Now I have a fully scented dummy to use for training. The great part is that you can use the same feathers over and over.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby chevyZ71 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:53 pm

for easier movement wear thinner waders

for better warmth grow ye a beard

- phil robertson
GITCHYA A DIP!
chevyZ71
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:18 am

Riverjumper wrote:
casey_714 wrote:I like to take a whole bunch of fishing line with me. When a duck lands in the water I lasso it and tie the end off to a rock or something. Then I let it fly around for added motion. It's great to bring back home for the kids to play with, too.

your not serious.........are you?

I pray you are joking. Live decoys, and that is what it is, are illegal and unethical. As is not killing a wounded duck as soon as possible. If you are not joking, it is time to stop hunting and spend some time with decent people. :pissed:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

come on

Postby sc_countryboy26 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:50 pm

Come on fellows, how many of you have ever seen a duck sit in your decoys long enough to throw a lasso rope around him. :umm:
sc_countryboy26
hunter

Postby SLIM » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:21 pm

It was all froze up this morning and so was our gas line from the tank to the outboard...

Tip: When you know you're not going to be hunting in the boat for a few days and it's below freezing, disconnect the gas line as you put the boat on the trailor that way no gas will sit in the carberator. It will just burn the remaining gas up and then quit.

Also, on the way to the ramp in the morning, take the gas line that connects the two (motor and tank) and throw it in the floor board of your truck to stay warm.

Gas is just like anything else. When the temperature changes fairly significantly, condensation occurs and then freezes your lines.

Watch for this problem on the power steering unit too, if you guys have a steering wheel and all. WD-40 is good for this because it doesn't freeze and it disperses water.

My $.02
"A good duck call is like a good woman. Happy is the man that finds both on his short stay on Earth."

- "Duck Commander", Phil Robertson -
SLIM
hunter

Loading big game

Postby 2 tollers » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:05 am

The Michigan outdoors show had an elk hunt with 3 guys struggling to load an elk in a pick up. I hunt big game by myself quite often and have found that I can use my tail gate as a loading ramp. Take the gate off, put a coat over the bumper to protect the paint and using the gate as a ramp really helps for large deer, moose or elk.
2 tollers
hunter

Cutting dog nails on dogs with sensitive toes

Postby 2 tollers » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:10 pm

I have a dog with sensitive toes and iwas a struggle to cut her nails. My vet suggested trying a drumel. This works great with the coarse sanding drum and you can trim more off the top which lengthens the time between cuttings and you do not have the underneath nail splintering problems.
2 tollers
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:02 am

Hmmm, i dont know much so i'm gonna offer the only advice i know... never go to sleep with an itchy butt, or you'll wake up with stinky fingers. :toofunny: :laughing: :toofunny:
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

RED TAPE

Postby Poke Boater » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:17 am

All my Feather Flex dekes have orange (flagging tape) stapled to each side rear. This little extra feature sure adds a cool touch. Cheap too!

Goop glue will stick flagging feet quite well on any decoy! Try it. Improving on a decoy's appearance is like fishing lures. Mostly it's appeal to the fisherman!

Have a safe New Ought Six all and Remember Our Troops.

Poke Boater

PS When your boat weighs 22 lbs the 24 dekes carried should weigh no more than 5 lbs!! :mrgreen: :laughing:
#1 If a falling duck's head is "held up" shoot again.
#2 If a downed duck lays still on the water with it's head "held down" straight out and you detect ANY movement across the current or not with the wind shoot again.
Ouabache!
Poke Boater
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:03 pm

Looks as tho poke has the first tip of the year :thumbsup:
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:23 am

For the big game hunters. Your rifle barrel can get pretty dirty in muck and mud so cover the top of the barrel with black electrical tape. It will keep stuff out and when you shoot it will shoot right off. :thumbsup:

Gooseboy
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole