Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby Grey Dog » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:40 am

Since Dove season opens Monday :thumbsup:

Never, never, never allow blood to come in contact w/blued surfaces. And if you do, clean it off as soon as possible. Like right now. Nothing takes the finish off a gun like fresh blood. It will eat right through by tomorrow.

Learned this many years ago on a Dove hunt. Barrels required re-bluing. I now carry an oily rag to wipe down the weapons at the end of the day. That gun still ain't pretty.

GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:21 am

Grey Dog wrote:Since Dove season opens Monday :thumbsup:

Never, never, never allow blood to come in contact w/blued surfaces. And if you do, clean it off as soon as possible. Like right now. Nothing takes the finish off a gun like fresh blood. It will eat right through by tomorrow.

Learned this many years ago on a Dove hunt. Barrels required re-bluing. I now carry an oily rag to wipe down the weapons at the end of the day. That gun still ain't pretty.

GD

Woulda never thought it but good tip!
BKScripto
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:33 pm

Grey Dog wrote:Since Dove season opens Monday :thumbsup:

GD

My 22 auto with the silencer never had any real issues. Used to be a real mess at times, too! :lol3: Use the clothing of whatever "game" you just put down to wipe it off.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby garthfishandhunt » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:44 pm

"Rise Slowly". When someone says "take em". we often spring to our feet like a frog from a snake. By the time we pull the trigger the ducks have flared and are going the other way quickly. Try rising slowly. Often the ducks won't notice and will continue their path to the dekes, making a much more manageable shot.
garthfishandhunt
hunter

Postby Idaho Savage » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:04 pm

My 40 Points to Success--Hopefully some of these are new to you.

1. When you're hunting big crowded water and everyone has massive spreads out, try putting out a dozen or less decoys with no mojo and a simple jerk string. Less is more.

2. Determine who is "calling the shot" before the ducks start flying. You'll thus avoid early shots and even worse, nobody shooting because everyone's waiting on each other.

3. When you have a big group cupped and committed, let the first part of it land in the decoys, then shoot at the back the birds right before they land. After shooting the rear, shoot the those first birds who are going to be slower as they try to take off and get off the water.

4. When hunting with new partners, make sure K9 expectations are gently broached. Nothing sucks worse than having a trained dog hold all day while the new guy's dog is breaking every shot. If your dog breaks, make sure your partners are aware and offer to leash him to a stationary object that is safe and away from firearms. If your dog barks at birds, leave it at home!

5. Mojos are most effective on clear days. For this reason, make sure they are facing directly towards the sun as this generates the most "flash"

6. I always ask how my call sounds. This gives people the opportunity to comment on call strategy, etc. without having to bring it up.

7. When having to finish a duck on the water, first make sure there are no dogs in the water and tell your partners you are going to shoot. Then put your bead just "below" the duck so the pattern will actually swat the duck.

8. Communicate with your partners quietly about groups. My friends and I will often whisper things like "drake is second from left" or "let them circle," etc.

9. We try very hard not to shoot hens. For this reason we will say very loudly "hen" or "hens!" the moment anyone can clearly identify that there are no drakes in the group. This reduces accidents.

10. Always carry extra oil, gas, Rem Oil and an extra plug in your boat at a minimum.

11. When hunting mallards with the sun in your eyes, listen for the "dweeeeb" or look for the tail feather curl to identify drakes even when you can't see color. If we can't tell what it is, we don't shoot!

12. I keep a long paddle in the boat with a notch cut in the plastic paddle. This serves as an emergency paddle and also a decoy hook--run the paddle under the decoy until the notch catches the string.

13. When running your boat in adverse, dangerous conditions, unbuckle your waders so that you can "kick them off" should you capsize.

14. When there are a lot of birds up and circling, we'll let birds land in the decoys. Often this pulls in more birds that are circling and you can always shoot a bird easily after it gets up to leave.

15. Leave your car keys somewhere hidden around your vehicle and tell your partners where they are. This way you'll never lose your keys in the blind and someone else can use your truck in the event of an accident.

16. Call softer than you think. Ever parachute before? It's amazing how well sound travels UP from the ground.

17. Motion in the water trumps everything. Whenever possible, we'll have at least one hunter sitting on the bank in the reads gently kicking the water.

18. Whenever a boat travels by your blind, get ready--they will likely stir up birds that are sitting on the water up or down stream.

19. Always, always wear eye and ear pro. I use simple chainsaw earmuffs that I've spray painted green. I keep them on my head but above my ears when I call. When birds are approaching, I simply pull them down.

20. Whenever you have a large group coming in or even a small group, find the drake from as far out as you can and don't let your eyes leave the bird until after you pull the trigger. This will alleviate flock shooting.

21. When you have bird(s) spotted from a long way out, refrain from moving your gun at all. Wait until the last moment, just as if it crept in suddenly, and shoot it. This will keep your shooting as one fluid motion instead of "over thinking it," which is easy to do.

22. Mark your mojo batteries so you know which is which and whose it whose. I have a rotation i use so I always know which one is which and how they're charged.

24. After a hunt, pick up all your trash, other people's trash and ALL of your shells. Nothing encourages someone else to hunt your spot like seeing a ton of spent shells, signalling a hot spot.

25. Don't pile your birds. Instead, lay them out in a line so they're easy to count. When getting near to limiting, make sure everyone knows how many are left and decide who's shooting in the event of a big group with only a few ducks left to kill.

26. ALWAYS bring a camera. We see so much cool stuff that most people will never see out there!

27. I use a sling on my gun. When the hunt is over, I unload the gun, open the action and put it on my back for the ride or hike out. This helps air dry the gun while cases are an easy way for rust to form. I carry Rem Oil in my blind bag for extra wet days.

28. We always start out NOT calling. If birds aren't sucking in to mojos or water motion by themselves, then we'll start calling. If they do, why call?

29. "Call at the corners."

30. For me, the feeding call is the most deadly "tractor beam." I can feeder call pretty loud and I'll lower the volume as birds get closer. Nothing says good news like "we've got food here."

31. Make every effort you can to retrieve every bird you shoot, no matter how far they sail. Last year I sent a sailor damned near a quarter mile down river and onto the bank. I got my gun and dog, uncovered the boat, started a cold motor, drove over and spent 10 minutes searching with the dog. He finally pulled the bird out from under the bank (head dunk)...and it was banded.

32. When running your boat in the dark of morning, stay far off the bank. No need to fuggy up other people's spreads or possibly put a swimming dog in danger.

31. Evening hunts become extremely productive later in the season as ducks have to feed multiple times a day. Use smaller spreads and less mojos as they can likely see better. Make sure you are very well concealed.

32. Bring an extra pair of gloves and a down coat in your bag. The combo can turn a miserable hunt into a fun one for you or your partner.

33. Wrap your decoys so that you're using as little cord as necessary to reach the bottom. Hitch them this way and you'll have a lot less tangled decoys. I also keep about 20% of mine with extra long lines and write a big "L" on the bottom so I know which ones I can use in deep water.

34. Bring food or treats for your dog. They burn a TON of calories out there and this will help keep them warm.

35. Whenever you retrieve a duck, run your hand all the way up their leg--bands can be up under their leg feathers.

36. Don't be afraid to mix it up! If the birds aren't committing, pull mojos, move decoys, even move locations.

37. If you have to hunt with the wind in your face, pull your decoys close the bank so the birds have a chance to get close without the benefit of a headwind to stop them.

38. Cover your face, dummy! Ever seen someone in a blind from the river? Their face is like a huge moon pie. Use a face mask or face paint to break up the pie.

39. Sunglasses shine like crazy. Use black face paint like baseball players instead.

40. HAVE FUN and be a good representative of our sport. We are all responsible for its future, so don't hesitate to call out the bad guys and encourage the good guys.
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby macmn3 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:24 pm

Fantastic post Idaho! Cant tell you how many times on heavily hunted public land I go out and hear guys just wailing away with the loudest highball they can blow, while I sit there with no calling or a whistle and get more opportunities
Shoot 'em dead boys
macmn3
hunter

Re:

Postby wanapasaki » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:35 pm

bluegill wrote:Here's a good tip:

If you havent seen any ducks for a while, walk out into the decoys without a gun and you'll be covered up in ducks immediately. Never fails.

:lol: :lol: :hammer:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Idaho Savage » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:47 pm

macmn3 wrote:Fantastic post Idaho! Cant tell you how many times on heavily hunted public land I go out and hear guys just wailing away with the loudest highball they can blow, while I sit there with no calling or a whistle and get more opportunities

Thanks, amigo. It's funny--in all my years of water fowling, I've never tried to regurgitate all the stuff I've learned at once! It's frightening, really!

And I'm definitely game for disagreement...I'm sure my "rules" don't work everywhere.
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby BonzaiDuck227 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:48 pm

I keep permanent markers in colors closest to my dekes to make little paint touch ups in the field.
BonzaiDuck227
hunter

Postby Jesse_r12c » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:12 pm

I enjoy #31 Idaho Savage. the thought of finding a banded bird always makes me chase after em
Jesse_r12c
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:23 am

Carry shopping bags and sharpies so each guy can keep his ducks separate. The sharpie is to date the bag and say which sex, species, and who shot them.
Once you get back to camp you do what you want.
I keep a few bags and extra straps for this reason.
4 guys with one pile is not acceptable. It happens all the time and bugs me.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Bunker » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:11 am

NoFlyZone49 wrote:Keep a pack of make up remover wipes in your truck or boat. Takes face paint right off and makes great *** wipe. Tingles a little

If you have young kids baby wipes work for both applications with less tingle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Bunker
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:57 am

Wear a black sweatshirt while field goose hunting. Sit up and flap your arms to attract geese :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:57 pm

When those mallards seem to avoid setting in the decoys, take a Drake and Hen and set them about 40 yards to the left or right of the main set, a lot of times those birds that have not been decoying will swing over the main set wanting to land with the pair.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Idaho Savage » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:34 pm

cluckmeister wrote:When those mallards seem to avoid setting in the decoys, take a Drake and Hen and set them about 40 yards to the left or right of the main set, a lot of times those birds that have not been decoying will swing over the main set wanting to land with the pair.

This is a great trick.

And don't be afraid to adjust in order to make it a good passing shot.
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby cwilson » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:00 am

garthfishandhunt wrote:"Rise Slowly". When someone says "take em". we often spring to our feet like a frog from a snake. By the time we pull the trigger the ducks have flared and are going the other way quickly. Try rising slowly. Often the ducks won't notice and will continue their path to the dekes, making a much more manageable shot.

Good point, we always say "take em" or whatever just loud enough for everyone to hear. It drives me crazy to watch the hunting shows and hear them SCREAM "TAKE EM!!!!" and as soon as they do you can see the birds flare. By the time the 1st shot is cut loose the birds have retreated a good ways.

Great post Idaho!! A lot of good stuff there.
cwilson
hunter

Re:

Postby honknquackwhacker23 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:24 pm

hahahha i do that all the time!
honknquackwhacker23
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:36 pm

I disagree with #34. Dont feed a dog in the field.
Twisted gut...very bad. Feed afterwards.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Idaho Savage » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:00 am

aunt betty wrote:I disagree with #34. Dont feed a dog in the field.
Twisted gut...very bad. Feed afterwards.

Fair enough. I was more thinking treats like venison jerkey and the like. But very valid point.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby ReelNutts8~ » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:03 pm

The only tip I have for today is to make sure the decoys you use are relevant to what you are seeing during a scout. Just because you have a set of canvasbacks doesn't mean you need to use it every hunt. Invest your money and time scouting and being properly equipped if you want to have a successful hunt. I have seen a spread on my way in that had some woodies and pintails with at least two or three dozen bluebills in the mix...maybe its a new tactic?
I Love it when I buy a bag of air and the company is nice enough to put some chips in it.

Caution: This machine has no brain, use your own
ReelNutts8~
hunter

Postby whtelk » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:11 am

To keep decoy lines from tangling in your decoy bag while you hike into your spot, use heavy duty rubber bands. Just tie one near your weight and when you wrap the line up put the band around the neck of the decoy.
whtelk
hunter

Postby Fatback » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:21 pm

Buy lead Chimney flashing instead of those 4oz weights .... cut in strips and drill.
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby Russ-n-Brazoria » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:34 pm

Fatback wrote:Buy lead Chimney flashing instead of those 4oz weights .... cut in strips and drill.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383183237.508293.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383183237.508293.jpg (64.14 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
Russ-n-Brazoria
hunter

Re:

Postby JGrand » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:32 pm

ks_waterfowler wrote:Late in the season, we set our decoys up so the birds will slowly cross in front of us instead of coming into our face. That way the birds aren't looking directly at you during their final approach. It isn't traditional in yo face duck hunting, but it definitely kills birds.

Hope this helps somebody else.

For ducks Like GW teal I actually enjoy it when they come across instead of directly in. The wing shooting is a blast and after the first shot they usually cut out and make a really fun, fast and sporadic pattern to try and shoot at
JGrand
hunter

Postby JGrand » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:02 pm

So I haven't read all of the tips yet being as there are hundreds lol but for beginners; a mallard call and whislt will get you far. Heck just a mallard call even. Eventually you can spend tons of money on calls, but many times you;ll find you don't end up using half of them. A lot of quality fowl will respond to a mallard call and even only a few mallard decoys. Ive had teal hit a spot non stop just trying to call in mallards across a lake. My other big bit of advice may sound dumb and basic but for beginners who cant ID flight patters etc; get good binoculars. On large open areas you can ID birds from far of and know that even if you don't know how to ID based on flight, you can visually ID groups and what species are in those groups and generally know if you are attentive which species is in flight based on their position when you ID them and if that group takes to air.And if you are still unsure about the species, don't even bother shooting just be patient.
JGrand
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole