Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:42 pm

Any of you guys/gals hunt on floating bogs? If you do then you know all about that sinking wet feeling you sometimes come on with in a hurry. Well you might try wearing a pair of snow shoes as they will distribute your weight over a wider area thus helping to keep you afloat. On the side of caution make sure that your harness is easy to get out of just in case you do break through and sink.

Keep shooting, your bound to hit something.
Last edited by Greg Wile on Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:47 am

Good stuff keep them coming guys :thumbsup:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

This should help

Postby Quackcephus » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:55 pm

When you are huntin' & a group of greenheads are commited make sure everyone in your group understands which ducks are theirs to shoot... the guy on the left has the one's on the left & so on. That way nobody is shootin' the same duck as somebody else. :thumbsup:

A more advanced thing me & my pardnuh do is if the ducks are commin' in over him he shoots the ones in the back of the flock & I'll get the ones in the front... we then meet in the middle. We have had small groups come in & there are no survivor's... just orange feet kickin'. :yes:
Quackcephus
hunter

Jerk String & Callin'

Postby Quackcephus » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:59 pm

Me & my parnuh have got a system worked out on callin' ducks & usin' a jerk string... I do the majority of the callin' & he jerks the jerk string. This way when the green heads are lookin' for the caller I'm not movin' around & by the time the ducks figure it out... they're dynin'. :yes:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:02 am

If you have ducks flairin' off your spread, but they're workin' the hole & you're sure you aren't what is flairin' 'em pull of few of your dekes... sometimes less is more. :yes:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:34 am

:withstupid: Yeah, sometimes having a bunch of decoys out is a bad thing. One time we had out 2 dozen and the ducks were flarin, so we picked em up and only left 9 decoys out, and we limited out after that.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:27 am

For you guys that use gun safes or even if you leave your gun in the case for awhile. If you can get some of the silica gel bags that are used in packing crates to absorb moisture they will keep you firearms from getting damp and rusting. These bags can be dried in the oven on low heat.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:28 pm

Ever been away from home and had some damp boots? If you go buy a newspaper and stuff the boot full the newspaper will absorb moisture in the boot. This is how I get the sweat outta my wildfire boots.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:12 am

Thats right KS, I have done that many times myself :thumbsup:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duck hunter cam » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:39 pm

Love that idea SC im all for it too.
It's only sky busting if u miss.
duck hunter cam
hunter

Postby Thundersnow » Wed May 04, 2005 4:46 pm

Hunt on calm days....when the ducks are not bobbing up and down on the waves they are alot easier to hit!
Thundersnow
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun May 08, 2005 7:29 pm

At the marina where I keep my IO, I saw a pile of used shrink-rap that they took off the big boys. It was in great shape, I ask the owner if I could have it. He said yes and that I could shrink it fit my hunting boats. I think it will make a great off-season cover. Best of all it's free.
State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:51 am

Ok guys lets not stop with the tips :thumbsup: This is one I have mainly for the outdoor forum but good to know all the same.

When you go to the shower while campin and you prefer to use a bar of soap, just take a extra knee-hi panty hose with you and it will be just like having a soap-on-a-rope. Also make sure to take a clothes hanger and plastic bag with you to the shower, as most shower stalls have no place to hang your clothes. Just put the hanger on the shower bar and put your old clothes in the plastic bag while showering. :thumbsup:
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duckhunter16 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:19 pm

Almost everywere you go I have found has useable restroom but not always TP so I have a roll in every vehical I take huntin becuse there is nothing worse than haveing to go and haveing nothing to wipe with.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:41 am

my tip of the day. Spell correctly or these guys will eat your lunch.

And never eat yellow snow.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby duckcrazy » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:55 am

Hey people if you own a aluminum boat allways carry a hammer and some
two part marine epoxy. Its not fun sinking your boat at 5 am.

If you get a hole you can knock the hole flat and put the epoxy over the hole. Belive me it will save your trip and a lot of wasted money. :thumbsup:
duckcrazy
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:11 pm

I allways carry 3 extra steel shells in my recoil hole in the butt of my gun. Just incase I see a jump shooting oppertunity while hunting other game such as, phesant, quail, rabbit, ect. It'll come in handy.. It is also great if you ever get stranded, as 3 shots repeatedly means SOS....

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:24 am

:withstupid:

Hey, what duz "Sos" mean...... It doesnt sound like something I'd want on my speghetti :laughing:

Hmmm, never thought of it like that....

:thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:10 am

Duckhunter16 wrote:Almost everywere you go I have found has useable restroom but not always TP so I have a roll in every vehical I take huntin becuse there is nothing worse than haveing to go and haveing nothing to wipe with.

Ya dont sits on da bak porch all squiinty eyeed playing them ollll...ahhh them ol' banjo bys any chances do ye?????

Its all good bro! :salude:

:toofunny:

If your poor and cant afford old robbo duck chuck some stones in the spread that way your decoys will be moving realistically as if.....Ahhhh.... Stoned!!!!!
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:00 am

My signature says it all....
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby huntforever » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:49 pm

When using a head light, don't forget to take it off. I went out alone and wondering why the ducks were flaring, after an hour I finaly found out the hard way
huntforever
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:19 pm

huntforever wrote:When using a head light, don't forget to take it off. I went out alone and wondering why the ducks were flaring, after an hour I finaly found out the hard way

I have been guilty of the same dang thing. My buddy looked over at me about an hour after shoot time and said "Hey dude, You might want to take of your light." :oops:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Quackcephus » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:55 pm

Always carry a roll of toilet paper... ya never know when the STORM is gonna hit. :yes:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:02 am

kiwismakebetterlovers wrote:Ya dont sits on da bak porch all squiinty eyeed playing them ollll...ahhh them ol' banjo bys any chances do ye?????

[siteimg]755[/siteimg]
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:52 am

:withstupid: Duckhunter16 :laughing:
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole