Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Re: Duck Hunting Tips of the Day

Postby Howell05 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:11 pm

Tip of the Day # 3756475

Keep some silicone, JB waterweld, or even some bubble gum in your decoy bag. That way you can repair the damage from your brother shooting them up.
Howell05
Newb

Postby Steel Shot » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:22 pm

ReelNutts8~ wrote:The only tip I have for today is to make sure the decoys you use are relevant to what you are seeing during a scout. Just because you have a set of canvasbacks doesn't mean you need to use it every hunt. Invest your money and time scouting and being properly equipped if you want to have a successful hunt. I have seen a spread on my way in that had some woodies and pintails with at least two or three dozen bluebills in the mix...maybe its a new tactic?

When everyone else has two dozen mallards, sometimes you need to throw out something a little different.
Steel Shot
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:49 pm

There are only three things that are truly must haves for duck hunting:
1. Gun
2. Ammo
3. License
Everything else is a nice to have. I forgot the paperwork this morning. :crying: :fingerhead:

GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby WI_River_Hunter » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:22 pm

Howell05 wrote:Tip of the Day # 3756475

Keep some silicone, JB waterweld, or even some bubble gum in your decoy bag. That way you can repair the damage from your brother shooting them up.

Earlier in the thread, someone suggested keeping small triangles cut out of a Penzoil bottle in your bag. You stick it into the hole, light it on fire, and then blow it out when it melts down to the decoy.

I haven't tried it yet, but it sounded good enough for me to commit it to memory!
WI_River_Hunter
hunter

Postby gt&h » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:34 pm

one thing my dad found that we dont leave the house with anymore is Tenacious Tape. it patches up anything quick and keeps it from leaking. used it for many quick fixes on decoys and waders while out hunting.
gt&h
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:43 pm

WI_River_Hunter wrote:

Earlier in the thread, someone suggested keeping small triangles cut out of a Penzoil bottle in your bag. You stick it into the hole, light it on fire, and then blow it out when it melts down to the decoy.

I haven't tried it yet, but it sounded good enough for me to commit it to memory!

I'm pretty sure that was Indaswamp that mentioned that. I've never used it on decoys, but I was in a bind for a bucket one day and used that trick on a 5 gallon bucket my wife and I had drilled holes in to slow water some bushes. It worked great. There wasn't a leak in it when I was done.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby teamoutlaw » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:23 am

wet wipes. it's better then tp and sure does help out when you get mud, blood, whatever all over your hands.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Re:

Postby Timheff » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:50 pm

bluegill wrote:Here's a good tip:

If you havent seen any ducks for a while, walk out into the decoys without a gun and you'll be covered up in ducks immediately. Never fails.

pretending to pack up 10 minutes if its slow is a trick iv using thats served me well more than a few times
Timheff
hunter

Re: Re:

Postby TheMiz » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:40 pm

Timheff wrote:
bluegill wrote:Here's a good tip:

If you havent seen any ducks for a while, walk out into the decoys without a gun and you'll be covered up in ducks immediately. Never fails.

pretending to pack up 10 minutes if its slow is a trick iv using thats served me well more than a few times

Or just say the magic words: "I gotta pee" ,then act like you're going to slide your waders down..
TheMiz
hunter

Postby Ducks&Bucks07 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:37 pm

Tip of the day: always take TP out to the blind.
Ducks&Bucks07
hunter

Postby duck_watcher » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:38 pm

If you like texas rigs a cheap way to make them is to buy the DIY Kit that rig em right makes. It comes with the stuff for 3 dozen for 25$ probably even cheaper if you buy them separate. But the real saver is instead of buying weights from any hunting store cabelas-gander anything, look at 4 oz egg sinkers for fishing on ebay. I bought 50 egg sinkers today for $20. Looked at what they cost at cabelas 12 4oz egg weights for 18.99. I made 3 dozen rigs for 45$ compared to $90 if you bought them pre made.
duck_watcher
Newb

Postby Mad Dog 21 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:20 am

aunt betty wrote:I disagree with #34. Dont feed a dog in the field.
Twisted gut...very bad. Feed afterwards.

It's called bloat (GDV) as you said and yes death will follow if not treated.
Mad Dog 21
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:28 am

aunt betty wrote:I disagree with #34. Dont feed a dog in the field.
Twisted gut...very bad. Feed afterwards.

We usually feed our dog in the mornin when we wake up.

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Postby robo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:00 am

I had taken a wood call apart in the field when it was freezing. Later at home I couldn't get it apart and thought it was due to swelling. I put it in the fridge in a ziploc bag overnight and it came apart much more easily the next morning.
robo
Newb

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:14 am

WI_River_Hunter wrote:

This is bad advice. I learned the hard way it's hard to keep the oil in the bottle when you cut the first triangle. :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Frylock » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:59 am

Shop vac with hose attached to exhaust as wader dryer.
Frylock
hunter

Postby Dakotadog72 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:52 am

^
^
^
That's is fricken brilliant !
Dakotadog72
hunter

Postby Commander Koda » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:56 pm

My Tip for Public Hunting

Set up for the morning hunt and it never fails.
There is always someone to come in and set up beside you right about shooting time
Let them do all the calling and when the birds flare, a lot of times they sail right into your spread
Haha. Seems to work for me sometimes.
Fear God, Love Thy Neighbor, and Hunt Ducks
-Phil Robertson
Commander Koda
Newb

Postby lbhansford » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:08 pm

teamoutlaw wrote:wet wipes. it's better then tp and sure does help out when you get mud, blood, whatever all over your hands.

man that sounds like one serious poop dude.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Minneguy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:11 pm

Here's something I struggled to learn.
Scout.
Scout some more
Scout even more
Set up where the ducks want to be and they will be much easier to shoot. Ducks May circle by your spread to check it out, but if they don't have a reason or a want to land there they won't. Same applies for geese.
Wish Ida learned this sooner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minneguy
hunter

Postby Russ-n-Brazoria » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:22 am

Minneguy wrote:Here's something I struggled to learn.
Scout.
Scout some more
Scout even more
Set up where the ducks want to be and they will be much easier to shoot. Ducks May circle by your spread to check it out, but if they don't have a reason or a want to land there they won't. Same applies for geese.
Wish Ida learned this sooner

Ain't that the truth, a lot beginners never understand when I tell them buy a good set of binos :lol:
Russ-n-Brazoria
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:08 am

I always have my 10x40 Ziess with me anytime I'm near woods or fields. Scouting, Hunting, Ducks, Deer, whatever. Yesterday, we had ducks raining down on us, quite a few dead on the water. Some my hunting party couldn't locate, mixed in with stumps etc... Quick scan with the Binoculars, revealed all.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby mlangenh » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:15 pm

If you wing a duck, shoot it on the way down if you have the opportunity. Lost our first Canvasback, because we didn't shoot it again on the way down and just tried to chase it ...
- There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

-The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck.
mlangenh
hunter

Postby Minneguy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:34 pm

Another tip:
Spotting and stalking woodies is a blast, find a creek that holds woodies mid day, grab your shotgun and sneak like a fox. Plus it is good practice sneaking!
It worked for me on 20 birds last season.

Minneguy
hunter

Postby micneador » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:49 pm

Another tip:
Spotting and stalking woodies is a blast, find a creek that holds woodies mid day, grab your shotgun and sneak like a fox.

Even better, load up the kayak.

If you hunt a very crowded, open public land. Grap about a dozen blue glow sticks and hang them, set em on the ground, or float one on an anchored baloon to make it look like the hole is already crowded. It got a hole to myself with 18 trucks in the parking lot.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole