Planting millet over pond scum?

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Planting millet over pond scum?

Postby Matt B » Wed May 08, 2013 5:37 pm

Hey guys I'm a new member, but been lurking for a while and gotten some great info. I planted jap millet for ducks on my place last year and had pretty good luck planting it on the mud flats after I disked, flooded and then drained my ponds (broadcast over wet mud). This year I left the water on after duck season, and I'm thinking about leaving it on till late July (to keep the weeds down) when I will drain and plant millet on the mud while it's still wet. There is already a fair bit of pond scum on top of the water, and there will probably be a good bit more by July. My question is, has anyone broadcast millet on top of this stuff after draining a pond? How did it work out? Thanks for your help. Matt
Matt B
Newb

Re: Planting millet over pond scum?

Postby AR Dave » Mon May 27, 2013 10:08 pm

Millet is about the easiest thing to grow. I think we've done what you're talking about and it worked out fine. Our water is staying high, so I'll being doing some of it, that way, this year. I've watched guys broadcast it right out in the water around a ponds edge.
AR Dave
hunter

Re: Planting millet over pond scum?

Postby duckslayer1998 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:36 pm

How should i place my decoys in a millet hole, if im hunting over a woodduck teal and mallard spread
duckslayer1998
Newb

Return to Conservation/Biology