water motion decoys

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

water motion decoys

Postby joshmayeux » Wed May 15, 2013 8:15 am

Im looking to buy a water motion decoy or decoys. Problem is i never used one. Im looking at two products the mojo mallard machine and the hidgon pulsator2. Can any one please give me some feedback on these two products and how well they work and which one works better or if their other products that work better. Any feedback would be a big help to me
joshmayeux
hunter

Re: water motion decoys

Postby Rick Hall » Wed May 15, 2013 9:45 am

My experience plainly differs from many others', because I've found jerk cord type motion easily overdone unless targeting teal or divers. Might well be different in less pressured areas or where timber over-story partially shields it from view, but I won't use something like a pulsator that I can't readily stop from the blind for big puddlers. The apparent gain in birds I couldn't have otherwise tolled is simply not worth the apparent cost in birds pushed off.

I do often use a Mallard Machine hard-wired to the blind with good effect when working teal or ringnecks. But I've yet to convince myself that its greatest advantage with big ducks isn't giving me the feeling I'm doing something, anything to put a little motion into a dead calm surface and still life spread. It may actually help some with teasing the big ducks on corners, but, again, it's definitely easy to overdo when they're looking at it.

Of course, decoys, motion or otherwise, are just part of a greater equation, and I'd little doubt use them differently if I wasn't confident in my calling or concealment.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby threedogs » Wed May 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Ive had both and they both suck. The mallard machine is a pain in the ass to carry around and setup and the pulsator just doesn't work.

Go with a jerk string...
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

which water motion decoy works the best

Postby joshmayeux » Wed May 15, 2013 5:54 pm

I hunt in southeast louisiana. Its all marsh and i hunt in the middle of a big pond right off a lake . We use fastgrass boat blinds with bamboo and canes that grows around the area that we just stick in the water around the boat blind. Im looking for a water motion :no: decoy to put in my spread. We use around 6 dozen decoys and its one big raft of coots and the others are gadwall and a few widgeon. Im jist sick of all the mojos but i will have to say they do work well sometimes. Alot of days we dont have much wind at all so im asking for everyones help to find the best performing water motion decoy . Thanks so much
joshmayeux
hunter

Re: which water motion decoy works the best

Postby threedogs » Wed May 15, 2013 6:31 pm

joshmayeux wrote:I hunt in southeast louisiana. Its all marsh and i hunt in the middle of a big pond right off a lake . We use fastgrass boat blinds with bamboo and canes that grows around the area that we just stick in the water around the boat blind. Im looking for a water motion :no: decoy to put in my spread. We use around 6 dozen decoys and its one big raft of coots and the others are gadwall and a few widgeon. Im jist sick of all the mojos but i will have to say they do work well sometimes. Alot of days we dont have much wind at all so im asking for everyones help to find the best performing water motion decoy . Thanks so much

Get you a couple of 12v trolling motors and chop off the feet. Hose clamp them to a stake and drive it in the ground. Gel battery so you can let it in the water and walla you have a wave maker. You'd have to figure a way to seal the posts from the water tho.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu May 16, 2013 5:09 am

Josh, I know a fellow who kills a lot of ducks in your corner of the state and likes to run a half dozen quiver magnets (floating hocky puck looking vibrators) among the decoys in his spread. Not inserted in decoys, but free floating near them. Surprised me to learn that, as he's a stickler for natural detail and not at all inclined to gimmickry. That, and I've heard from so many others that the things are worthless. Secret might be in the numbers, don't know.

Do know I'd probably not fight a Mallard Machine if hunting out of a boat. I'd try a mess of QMs among your poule d'eaus.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby imboray » Thu May 16, 2013 11:05 am

Go with the Higdon pulastor or 2. We make a minor alteration on the ones we run. we actually turn the the spouts down so the water doesnt shoot above the water and create an unatural (IMO) fountain effect. It can be a bit noisy if you dont. I like it this way because you still get some ripple on the water with pretty good motion, plus if you hunt in shallow enough water it stirs mud up on the bottom & adds more realism. Hope it helps
imboray
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:13 pm

You could either spend $300 on a fountain machine or $50 on a jerk rig and the spreaders for it. Heck you could spend $100 and get two of them. For $300 you could run 6 jerk rigs. That's 6 dozen decoys moving at once. Should be an easy decision :thumbsup:
duckman27
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu May 16, 2013 3:23 pm

What's a $300 fountain machine?
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby threedogs » Thu May 16, 2013 4:30 pm

$50 for a jerk string? I think not. Try $5 dollars for 50lb mono and four for some bungee cord (ace is the place) an eye bolt and a stake. I use wood cause I hunt shallow water but you can use a section of emt if you want to go deeper if so add another three.

Lets see now

$5 for 50 lb mono
$4 for bungee cord
$.75 eye bolt
$3 emt

For less than $15 and a couple of your decoys you can have a nice jerk rig...
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:41 pm

Rick Hall wrote:What's a $300 fountain machine?

That's what the Pulsator and Mallard machines are in my opinion
duckman27
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri May 17, 2013 4:42 am

duckman27 wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:What's a $300 fountain machine?

That's what the Pulsator and Mallard machines are in my opinion

Then you've been raped and misused the mallard machine.

But I'll give you one thing, a fellow does get more motion from a jerk cord: motion in the decoys plus motion in the blind.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby joshmayeux » Tue May 21, 2013 1:31 pm

I really think that forums like this one and others are great and u get tons of really useful info but come on over 400 people veiwed my post and only 11 people responded. I always check the forums i join and read all the topics and reply as much in the field knowledge to others that i can. I guest like my friend says that they have millions of hunters but only a few are hardcore about the sport as we are. I guess alot of people dont realize how much it helps others by just voicing there opinion. Thanks
joshmayeux
hunter

Postby threedogs » Tue May 21, 2013 3:34 pm

joshmayeux wrote:I really think that forums like this one and others are great and u get tons of really useful info but come on over 400 people veiwed my post and only 11 people responded. I always check the forums i join and read all the topics and reply as much in the field knowledge to others that i can. I guest like my friend says that they have millions of hunters but only a few are hardcore about the sport as we are. I guess alot of people dont realize how much it helps others by just voicing there opinion. Thanks

You've heard all you need to know. Make a decision.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby cfaulk33 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:51 pm

my vote would be for a jerk string. I bought the one from macks for 30$ that has the spreaders with it and can run over a dozen deeks on it which creates a lot of movement and ripples. I also made a homemade one that u run through a cinder block and attatch to the bill of the decoy to make a jerk string feeder. Will be my first year to try it but it works like a charm on my test runs. Also gonna make some bilge pump butt decoys but im gonna cut the conduit shorter so that it doesnt have the untarual high water spray just a little above the water to create a more lifelike look with good ripples still. It is all easy to make and im thinking of making a homemade "wake maker" / Duck thang for the larger holes. All of them will give you the motion you desire in your spread just depends on what u like best and how much movement you need.
cfaulk33
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:34 am

I have been on one hunt where we used a mallard machine. You have to carry a huge battery to the field and that was a pain in the ***. It was a nice machine and his was by remote but still a pain. The best thing we ever did was retire the mojos and start running only jerk strings. We immediately started having better results in finishing birds and save your self a ton of $$. We have less than 10$ in our rigs and they work. We take mojo poles and stick in the ground beneath the water to tie our rigs to.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:02 am

I run spinners, pulsators and a jerk rig. I suggest for spinner you have a remote so you can shut them off. Birds act different everyday, somedays they love it others they hate it, some days they will finish with them on, others the spinner will bring them in but you need to shut it off to finish them.

I like the pulsator 2 over the mallard machine because I run out of a boat, and the mallard machine just turned into a pain. We carry the smaller nosels for when the water is calm that way you dont have water spraying around. If the waves are larger we often put the bigger nosel on to get a little more motion.

And we always carry a jerk rig. it takes up no room. I look at it this way. If I dont run a spinner I wish I would have, if I run a spinner i always have in the back of my mind should I take it down, same goes for running the pulsators. So I said the heck with it and bring them all. I can never seem to make up my mind.

Its just like decoy spreads. Ill convince myself to run a small spread and if the birds dont wanna work I tell myself well ya should have run a bigger spread, and same goes for when I run a large spread, If things arent workin out I tell myself i should have run a smaller spread. Same dilema with my motion deeks. Damned if I do and damned if I dont. Big reason I love the sport, Keeps a guy on there toes.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:41 am

koonce727 wrote:I look at it this way. If I dont run a spinner I wish I would have, if I run a spinner i always have in the back of my mind should I take it down...

Even when spinners first came out, they'd both draw birds and push some off and mine ended the hunt under my bench five of its first seven mornings. Since they had no remote, I was constantly in and out of the blind putting the spinner out after one high flight refused to break and picking it up when another broke but pushed off and refused to return. Seemed the most predictable thing was that birds would pass while I was out of the blind fooling with it, and the standard joke when there was a lull in the action was, "Better go pick the spinner up (or put it out)."
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby threedogs » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:17 am

[quote="koonce727"]I run spinners, pulsators and a jerk rig. I suggest for spinner you have a remote so you can shut them off.

Nothing says authentic like a bird hanging in the air with it's motionless wings stuck straight out!
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:00 am

threedogs wrote:Nothing says authentic like a bird hanging in the air with it's motionless wings stuck straight out!

Having watched geese hang up short of several types of stationary "flying" decoys, I'm probably far more anal about that than ducks demand. But I use a brown spinner with wings rigged to stop white down and camo paint the side that shows.

Probably doesn't hurt to dress it with a confidence decoy for good measure:
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:39 pm

threedogs wrote:Nothing says authentic like a bird hanging in the air with it's motionless wings stuck straight out!

It's not gonna make one bit of a difference unless the white part is facing up.

For mallard machines, they work very well if you have enough room in your boat, or private land access.

My pulsator has also served me well, just need to fix the part where the wires attach to the bilge pump.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:02 pm

threedogs wrote:
koonce727 wrote:I run spinners, pulsators and a jerk rig. I suggest for spinner you have a remote so you can shut them off.

Nothing says authentic like a bird hanging in the air with it's motionless wings stuck straight out!

Can't be any worse than me taking a wizz off the back of the boat only to have birds finish. Two of my best tactics, go move deeks or take a leak.
koonce727
hunter

Postby threedogs » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:35 pm

koonce727 wrote:
threedogs wrote:
koonce727 wrote:I run spinners, pulsators and a jerk rig. I suggest for spinner you have a remote so you can shut them off.

Can't be any worse than me taking a wizz off the back of the boat only to have birds finish. Two of my best tactics, go move deeks or take a leak.

Those were Robins you were drunk and they were after the grub worm,,
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:35 pm

Yea, somthen like that.
koonce727
hunter

Postby blackened89 » Fri May 09, 2014 11:09 am

Rick Hall wrote:

Having watched geese hang up short of several types of stationary "flying" decoys, I'm probably far more anal about that than ducks demand. But I use a brown spinner with wings rigged to stop white down and camo paint the side that shows.

Probably doesn't hurt to dress it with a confidence decoy for good measure:

That pic is freakin nice
blackened89
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting