GHG or G&H

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

GHG or G&H

Postby joshmayeux » Mon May 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Gonna be buying some new decoys soon and looking at the GHG and G&H. What are yalls opinion
joshmayeux
hunter

Re: GHG or G&H

Postby mudpack » Mon May 20, 2013 5:49 pm

Having owned and used both brands for many years, I can say the decision depends on what you want in a decoy.

Do you want a decoy that looks like a duck, or a decoy that won't lose its paint for 50 seasons?
mudpack
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Mon May 20, 2013 7:17 pm

I have used GHG dekes for years. The Pro Grade mallards are hands down the best mallard decoy in the market. I have used them exclusively since the day I bought my first 6 pack. With the amount of pressure on ducks today having realistic decoys is necessary. The decoy pictured below is 3 years old. This decoy looks as good as it did the day I pulled it out of the box. With how I hunt I just throw my dekes in the boat. I hunt in Wisconsin mainly and some days their just isnt new ducks around and you have to decoy local birds that have seen it all or go home empty handed. Using GHG decoys I find myself harvesting more birds that flew over other hunters spreads. The choice is yours but GHG decoys are top of the line IMO.
Attachments
20130520_200731-1.jpg
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby OregonSpeck85 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:45 pm

Go with ghg, look great and mine have held up good. G and H are tough but look like a 1st grader painted them plus there are expensive :no:
OregonSpeck85
hunter

Postby don novicki » Tue May 21, 2013 3:41 am

True G&H doesn't look as good as the GHG but years from now you can pass the G&H down to your kids and you won't have to do a thing to em to hunt over them, and they are made in the USA. JMO
don novicki
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Thu May 23, 2013 11:42 pm

Justin Weber wrote:I have used GHG dekes for years. The Pro Grade mallards are hands down the best mallard decoy in the market. I have used them exclusively since the day I bought my first 6 pack. With the amount of pressure on ducks today having realistic decoys is necessary. The decoy pictured below is 3 years old. This decoy looks as good as it did the day I pulled it out of the box. With how I hunt I just throw my dekes in the boat. I hunt in Wisconsin mainly and some days their just isnt new ducks around and you have to decoy local birds that have seen it all or go home empty handed. Using GHG decoys I find myself harvesting more birds that flew over other hunters spreads. The choice is yours but GHG decoys are top of the line IMO.

a picture of a decoy in your house with no line on it doesn't really speak volumes about it's durability
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Fri May 24, 2013 4:45 am

ncbufflehead wrote:
Justin Weber wrote:I have used GHG dekes for years. The Pro Grade mallards are hands down the best mallard decoy in the market. I have used them exclusively since the day I bought my first 6 pack. With the amount of pressure on ducks today having realistic decoys is necessary. The decoy pictured below is 3 years old. This decoy looks as good as it did the day I pulled it out of the box. With how I hunt I just throw my dekes in the boat. I hunt in Wisconsin mainly and some days their just isnt new ducks around and you have to decoy local birds that have seen it all or go home empty handed. Using GHG decoys I find myself harvesting more birds that flew over other hunters spreads. The choice is yours but GHG decoys are top of the line IMO.

a picture of a decoy in your house with no line on it doesn't really speak volumes about it's durability

It has line on it actually. Stretchy weight?? I can actually see the decoy line on the keel if you zoom up. Next time I'll make sure to get it in a more easily seen spot for you...
Last edited by Justin Weber on Fri May 24, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:23 am

Say the Pro-staffer with a purely Biased opinion.

I have and run them both, and hunt some of the heaviest pressured areas you can find anywhere. On an average day there are hunters literally ever 100 yards lined up and down the banks, mojos everywhere. You will not kill more birds using GHG deeks. Ive proven it to myself over the years of hunting(not just a couple year). Ive been chasing fowl for the better part of 20 years. Gentlemen I hunt with has been hunting this same areas longer than I have. He only uses g&h and kills plenty of ducks.

If you want deeks with different poses then go ahead and get some ghg. The paint if have noticed is hit or miss. Of the 6+ doz ghg pro-grades I own some hold the paint well others have been fresh out the box and I can whipe paint off of areas. Mainly the side pockets on those deek in particular. If you go ghg use some matte finish it will help out for the long haul but is not some end all solution to chinese made quality.

I have g&h deeks that are coming up on being 20 years old and the paint is still holding stong and I kill my fair share of birds with them. I own the better part of 12 doz g&h duck deeks with no issues. Also if you have issue they will warrent them for life. Great guys to work with for customer service, wish I could say the same about GHG.

I picked up pro-grades to have diff options for diff spread to tailer it to the ducks I had in the area. I thought oh ya more realisitic for stale ducks will be the ticket. Well after years of trying that I found no differnce. This was also verified when I decided to buy a handful of Don Mintz deeks. To say the least I have seen no difference, and have lost birds to guys runner cheap deeks but being more where they wanted to be.

Sorry for the long post but buy stuff that will last ya. If your located in WI your welcome to swing by my place and see them for yourself, you can even buy my pro-grades.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby duck501 » Sat May 25, 2013 2:44 pm

I been duckhunting for 15+ years. I have used both decoys. The G&H decoys are the best of the two. I agree with what Koone727 sade. I have sold most of the ghg decoys i hade and plan to sell the rest this summer. All i use know is G&H. I have G&H decoys that are older then me In my decoy bag. Oh i still kill ducks evey year.
duck501
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue May 28, 2013 1:14 pm

koonce727 wrote:Say the Pro-staffer with a purely Biased opinion.

everyone has a biased opinion when it comes to decoys, thats the way it is. The OP asked for opinions, he is getting them. Personally I have hunted over about every decoy made. For me its GHG. I personally require realism in decoys, to me, that means more than anything else. To the OP, you need to figure out what is more important to you, is it having a decoy that looks about as real as it gets, or is it having a decoys that is built like a tank, but does not look real at all. Also about 5 or 6 years ago G&H had a very bad run of decoys that when they were put in water large chunks of quarter to half dollar sized paint would slide off exposing black decoy. All decoys at some point will have a paint/quality control issue at some time. Also both decoy mfgs, GHG and G&H have great customer service. The problem you get into is guys have one decoy that has bad paint and want a brand new dozen and not have to send anything in...That does not work, and that is where you hear people say CS sucks. Koonce I am sure you hunt a area that is pressured, and for you the G&H work, however I grew up hunting in Southern IL and now hunt near St Louis MO, places that unquestionably the most pressured areas in the united states (ask anyone who has hunted here) and for me realism is what counts. Things change every year with waterfowl, and I would not like to be left in the dark ages, G&H makes a solid decoy that is built to last, however, they look like decoys. To the OP hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions I would be glad to help. My personal preference is GHG life size series mallards when I am hunting with bigger spreads, but If I am hunting with a smaller spread I will use pro grades, depending on the time of year, I like to vary species a bit as well. Is that needed...no, just part of having all your bases covered. If you were hunting with me, a majority of the time it would be around 3-5 dozen GHG Life size mallards.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby koonce727 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:52 am

^^ coming from another avery staffer.

Your right to some degree. I am biased toward what works.... Not what I am repping.

If your sig said dakota decoy staff you would sit here and tell us they are the best. I have no backing in anyway shape or form. I use what works the best. I have plenty of buddies who are staffers, Many of them switch around. One years is GHG, then the next they sell there stuff and go Dakota, and then a few years later they go with BF, and round and round we go.

I cant take what any staffer says to serious. Same with calls, or any other product for that matter. One year there repping for RNT, then its ECHO, blah blah and the story rolls on.

But like I said. My GHG have been hit or miss. Some have held up others have not. I have never called them and complained. Delt with what i had, bought a bunch of matte finish and sprayed away.
koonce727
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:52 pm

A pro-staffer's opinion isn't worth the paint flakes in the bottom of a box of brand new GHG decoys.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:36 pm

Y'all boys didn't read my post very well did you??? :huh: If you would have looked past what it says on my sig line, and read what I had to say it would show you that I gave out what works for me, not the fanboy crap you wanted me to say. But you would also be a fool to believe that there is not a decoy company out there that has NEVER had a paint issue. I know there have been paint issues in the past at Avery, I own some of them...But that does not mean every decoy ever produced by Avery is junk. Like I said before, I don't care if a decoy will last 50 years, I want one that looks real. :beer:
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby koonce727 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:31 am

I read your post. Actually read it twice. I have had one issue with my g&h and they backed it up. To many horror stories about ghg service. I have some buddies who can't even get them to respond backs. Deeks fresh out the box where you can wipe large areas of paint off by hand. I've had the same issue before. I krylon'd them to help. Sent one email and also called and nothing. I don't have time for that bs.

If realism is what you want get customs or go with some body language deeks. That's what I did.

Or try them new avains. Couple guys say they held up well for them.
koonce727
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:32 am

Last season, I learned that when ducks are flying high and fast, they don't notice how real the decoys are. After getting fed up with every single one of my expensive GHG's losing a minimum of 60% of their paint, I painted a bunch black and white and threw them out. This seems to work better for me. I wish they would just sell you blanks to save us some time and money.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:54 pm

SPatrick wrote:Y'all boys didn't read my post very well did you??? :huh:

I was speaking of pro-staffers in general. It's not just Avery guys that pimp junk.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:05 pm

G&H
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby cfaulk33 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:15 pm

if you want highly realistic and durable then go with Dakota. They look AWESOME and hold up great. They have a new paint scheme for there hens this year and make them look a lot better imo. They are a little on the pricey side but for 30$ more than what 12 ghg pro grades will cost you, you get one of the best decoys on the market imo. Of course others will have diff opinions but thats just my .02 dakotas hold up great and are the most realistic looking decoy out there as far as paint and the way they ride the water.
cfaulk33
hunter

Postby hawkeye55 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:10 pm

I like both brands for different reasons. Some of the species made by G&H are very realistic, pintail, bluebill, redhead and magum mallard, some not so much. The paint is great no doubt about it on a G&H. I have some that date back to the mid to late 80's, they do get brittle over that amount of time so regardless of how the paint holds up the plastic after 25 years does not, I have to toss a dozen or so a year after 20-25 years of hard work. Thats still darn good service life for plastic. That said some of the G&H offerings are not worth their effort, like their widgeon and gadwall which are just the hen pintail mold with different paint job. GHG wins in the willing to put money into new molds category and thus realistic, paint colors are also pretty good. Painting/repainting, overtime both brands need new paint in the end. Repainting either when needed is not an issue for me.

I like and use both brands as they look good together and add variety of poses.
Attachments
duck hunt 12 11 2010 024.JPG
duck hunt 12 11 2010 023.JPG
hawkeye55
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum