Baikal MP-153 or Stoeger 3500

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Baikal MP-153 or Stoeger 3500

Postby snapshotmd » Thu May 23, 2013 11:28 am

OK boys, here's the dilemma.

I'm looking for a new gun for next waterfowl season. I've used a beater Rem 1187 last year and looking to upgrade. The 1187 was prone to rust and it does not point well for me. I’m looking for a low cost, low maintenance gun that will be my go to for hunting.

I also have the Baikal 12 gauge O/U which I absolutely love!

On the skeet range, I shoot much better with the Baikal than the 1187. I feel that the forward weight of the double barrels and also the cast in the stock helps tremendously.

I’ve narrowed my search to either the MP153 or the 3500. I tried the Stoeger out in the shop and it seems to point well for me. As we all know, there have been rave reviews about it. It seems that no one that has actually shot it has anything bad to say about this gun. Since it only came out a couple years ago longevity has yet to be determined. No adjustments are needed to switch from target to hunting loads after the 100 round break-in. I have some reservations because it a recoil/inertia operated gun. I’d have to admit I am a wimp when it comes to recoil, but on the other hand it’s not like I’m going to shoot a couple boxes of shells in a single day.

The MP153 is being considered due to positive experiences with the O/U. This gun also has rave reviews, a cult following, and is reportedly weighted forward, like the O/U. I have not held this gun because no one local has it. The only way to get it at this point is to get it on the internet, so once I get it, I’m stuck with it. To switch between target and hunting loads, one MAY need to adjust the gas valve. Since it is gas operated, it should theoretically be softer shooting than the inertia gun. The gun has been around since 2002, so it has a proven track record.

For those of you that have both the O/U and MP153 Baikals, how do they compare in terms of pointability and feel?

Any of you have both the MP153 and 3500? What’s your take?

Any recommends are appreciated. At this point, I could go either way. Who knows, I may end up getting both.
snapshotmd
hunter

Re: Baikal MP-153 or Stoeger 3500

Postby z51 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:04 pm

First of all I don't believe either of those guns are an upgrade over an 11-87. I don't own either nor would I. I do own a Weatherby SA-08
A SX2, a 11-87 SP, an SX-1 and others. The Weatherby is in or near your price range. The all black gun is a great buy. It is also light and amazingly soft shooting. Another soft shooting gun you might look at if you are near an Academy is a Yildiz A71. It is amazingly well made and has decent walnut for $400 .

Personally I would rehab the 11-87 it's a better gun than the ones you mentioned and shoots way softer than the 3500.
z51
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Thu May 23, 2013 11:37 pm

MP-153 out of the 2 listed

SA08 is also a great choice, but for pure utilitarian purposes, the MP-153 is a great weapon, heavy and indestructible.

Sent from my tesla coil
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby duckbuster57 » Fri May 24, 2013 6:55 am

The 3500 by far if you want to shoot 3 1/2" shells only.
duckbuster57
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri May 24, 2013 7:15 am

z51 wrote:First of all I don't believe either of those guns are an upgrade over an 11-87.

Have to agree with z51. (you can call me LT4)

Even though either gun would be a downgrade from the 11-87, if the Rem doesn't fit you well, then I understand wanting to change. Do you think the Baikal will fit you better, since you haven't shot one? I would not buy a gun unless I'd shouldered, if not shot, one just like it.
There is something about a new gun....even a cheap crapgun.....that appeals to all of us. Hope this works out for you.
mudpack
hunter

Postby d_hunter12 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:50 am

I have the Baikal and it is a great gun. With the factory full choke and shooting 3" number 2's it's deadly for me. Has a good weight and feel to it. Recoil isn't bad at all. My only problem with it is I cannot find aftermarket chokes for it. Even though remington imports it you can't interchange chokes between it and a remington shotgun. Also, I can't find a limbsaver recoil pad that fits it. Besides those two complaints, I think it is a great gun for the money. I had mine camo dipped after I got it and counting the sling and sights I have maybe $500 in it. Try buying a sx or a 11-87 for that.
d_hunter12
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Fri May 24, 2013 8:52 am

d_hunter12 wrote:I have the Baikal and it is a great gun. With the factory full choke and shooting 3" number 2's it's deadly for me. Has a good weight and feel to it. Recoil isn't bad at all. My only problem with it is I cannot find aftermarket chokes for it. Even though remington imports it you can't interchange chokes between it and a remington shotgun. Also, I can't find a limbsaver recoil pad that fits it. Besides those two complaints, I think it is a great gun for the money. I had mine camo dipped after I got it and counting the sling and sights I have maybe $500 in it. Try buying a sx or a 11-87 for that.

http://www.trulockchokes.com/get-chokes ... See+Chokes
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Fri May 24, 2013 8:59 am

Colonial Arms also has chokes for the MP-153. 800-949-8088
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Fri May 24, 2013 6:07 pm

d_hunter12 wrote:I have the Baikal and it is a great gun. With the factory full choke and shooting 3" number 2's it's deadly for me. Has a good weight and feel to it. Recoil isn't bad at all. My only problem with it is I cannot find aftermarket chokes for it. Even though remington imports it you can't interchange chokes between it and a remington shotgun. Also, I can't find a limbsaver recoil pad that fits it. Besides those two complaints, I think it is a great gun for the money. I had mine camo dipped after I got it and counting the sling and sights I have maybe $500 in it. Try buying a sx or a 11-87 for that.

you can get chokes from carlson's extended(tru-choke).
http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-pro ... Tubes&mf=2
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby inthebox30lbs » Sat May 25, 2013 7:48 pm

I own both and I will say they are both awesome guns for the money. I will say the 3500 has been fantastic, mine still will not shoot trap loads the 1 1/8th oz loads all of the time but I only have about 200 rounds through the gun. I would say its not fully broken in. It will be my main waterfowl gun this year. While pattern testing and shooting heavy steel loads its been flawless. Its a rugged gun for the money. The Mp 153 is a pure workhorse. Mine has never failed. Its a little front heavy, robust and not the prettiest but it just works all the time. I have a buddy that has one and he didnt clean it once this duck season and it never failed. I cant think of another gun that performs like it for the money. I have mine dialed two turns out on the gas adjustment and it shoots 1 1/8th oz trap loads to the biggest 3.5" loads out there and it never failed. Time will tell with the 3500, but so far its been great. I dont think you can go wrong with either, but the 153 for the money has to be the best deal going.
scott
inthebox30lbs
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Sun May 26, 2013 12:29 pm

As the OP, I really don't buy the popular definition of "upgrading". If you can't hit anything, or if it is unreliable, then it doesn't matter how finely machined, fitted parts, etc. it is basically worthless to you. In my case, I like the fact that the 1187 is a soft shooting gun, and it has been mostly reliable, but if I have to clean it after every hunt to go bang and I can't hit anything with it, then it is worthless to me. I really don't care how a gun looks or if the parts are tight. As long as it goes bang everytime, feels good, and I could hit stuff with it then that's what counts.
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby oldbutnew » Thu May 30, 2013 12:38 pm

snapshotmd,

Where did you find someone online that has the MP-153 in stock?

I've been looking for a camo version since the beginning of the year.

Thanks,
oldbutnew
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu May 30, 2013 3:38 pm

inthebox30lbs wrote: While pattern testing and shooting heavy steel loads its been flawless. Its a rugged gun for the money. The Mp 153 is a pure workhorse. Mine has never failed. .... it just works all the time..... it never failed. ... shoots 1 1/8th oz trap loads to the biggest 3.5" loads out there and it never failed.... its been great. .... the best deal going.

Okay, they never have failed you (in 200 rounds)........but can you hit anything with either one??
After all...................

snapshotmd wrote: As long as it goes bang everytime, feels good, and I could hit stuff with it then that's what counts.

I agree with that 99.9%.
Now, what makes you feel you can hit stuff with either the MP-153 or the 3500?
Shoot before you buy.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu May 30, 2013 3:58 pm

There is no unity in "diversity"

Member NRA
Member Ducks Unlimited
Art Vandelay
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri May 31, 2013 6:31 am

d_hunter12 wrote:I have the Baikal and.... I can't find a limbsaver recoil pad that fits it.

Limbsaver recommends their #10401, 10601, and 10102 recoil pads for the Baikals. The only problem is the stocks vary so much on the Baikal guns, and you won't know which pad will fit best until you try them.
Knowing how effective Limbsavers are, it would be worth it even if you had to buy all three pads to get the best one.
mudpack
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:37 am

Oldbut - I went to my dealer to order one, but they were out on the website, so the only place to get them is on gunbroker, or the like; and even then there are not many. I saw the camo one, but decided against that since bidding starts at $300 there's probably going to be a bidding war on it, or at least I hope. It's used and only has one choke with it.

I ended up with the Baikal NIB black 28" barrel for $400. I'll keep you posted what I think when I get it... that is, if I like it. :smile:
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:07 am

oldbutnew wrote:snapshotmd,

Where did you find someone online that has the MP-153 in stock?

I've been looking for a camo version since the beginning of the year.

Thanks,

I was told aound christmas From importers of baikal shotguns that they were not going to have camo guns for 2013 for the mp-153. but that could have changed but it might be while before see a mp-153 in camo. only option know is get gun dipped or get sparay cans out or send it out to get camo finish.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:06 pm

I got the 153 last week. Although the edges were deburred, they were a little sharp for my tastes. I loaded a shell and my thumb kinda got stuck in the magazine; the shell lifter had a slightly sharp edge on the tip that grabbed my thumb. So I took it apart and smoothed out that sharp edge. The gun is definitely heavy in the front, but it shouldered fine for me. Even though all the reports I read indicated these usually had a thin, but significant, coat of cosmoline I noticed how clean mine was and figured the gun shop might have cleaned it off before shipping it to me. Went to the skeet range with it and shot a round with 3” 1-1/4 oz and she ran very smooth. I didn't notice the "ping" sound too much as indicated in lots of reviews. The 153 felt softer than expected. I will have to compare the recoil with the 1187. Not my best score, but not too shabby either. I can’t wait to break it in all the way and see how it does on target loads.
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:37 am

I have owned both and the Stoeger would probably be my choice but the 153 would be right there too. Hard to beat either on price or reliable function. I can not say I have had the same experience with the Turkish (huglu) guns made for weatherby, Mossberg and tristar) group. I would even consider a 935 3rd place to the 3500 and 153 as a low cost SA.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Forum