Blind almost finished on canoe

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Blind almost finished on canoe

Postby FlightCanXledWF » Mon May 27, 2013 3:01 pm

Almost finished with my canoe project for next Season. Last things left to do is drape reeds off of the frame and mount the trolling motor on the back. Will post pics when done . Just giving people an idea if they are looking to do something similar. Tell me what you think

Ian
Attachments
image.jpg
My idea of going green is a limit of Mallards by 8:00 a.m.
FlightCanXledWF
hunter

Re: Blind almost finished on canoe

Postby goldfish » Mon May 27, 2013 3:19 pm

I think that looks tippy as all get out. Be careful with all that weight so high up in a canoe. I hope you push into some solid reeds or tails so it doesn't rock on you.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Mon May 27, 2013 7:10 pm

Is there a particular need for such a large blind on a canoe ?
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

Google- Pro Staff
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby FlightCanXledWF » Mon May 27, 2013 7:54 pm

Weedwacker wrote:Is there a particular need for such a large blind on a canoe ?

To suit 2 hunters and keep the inside covered since its a bright color.

Ian
FlightCanXledWF
hunter

Postby FlightCanXledWF » Mon May 27, 2013 7:58 pm

goldfish wrote:I think that looks tippy as all get out. Be careful with all that weight so high up in a canoe. I hope you push into some solid reeds or tails so it doesn't rock on you.

sent from a phancy fone

It's is on the flimsy side but the whole frame is firmly on the canoe. It should hold whatever put on it such as 5x5 Matt's of reeds
( at least I hope so )

Ian
FlightCanXledWF
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Mon May 27, 2013 8:19 pm

That looks like a full length blind, do you plan to hunt two people out of it?
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby noweil » Tue May 28, 2013 12:59 pm

I'm not a fan of high profile blinds. I feel low profile blinds are much more effective. The best canoe blind I have seen was a 3 piece light weight wooden framework covered with grass mats. The guy hauled the 3 sections in the canoe, put out his decoys, backed his canoe into emergent vegetation, sat in the bottom of the boat, set the grassed wood frames over the gunnels, and hunted out in a patch of weeds in the middle of the lake. The birds would suck right to his decoys. He is a poor goose caller but almost always got his geese with that set-up. The canoe wasn't even camo but the grass matts hung down enough to cover it up. Darn good marsh boat.

Wih that high profile blind, you might want to attach some stabilizer poles to drive into the bottom and back up againt something tall behind you to hunt.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Tue May 28, 2013 1:52 pm

FlightCanXledWF wrote:

Ian

I am firm believer that everthIng has a limit. Seems like a like of blind and a small boat for two guys and gear. Not knowing what type of hunting. My canoe hunting is either, small water that I can get out and stand in cover, or pull canoe into thick cover with a small portable blind I use that rolls up inside the canoe for transport. Other then that, I go to next size boat for safety reasons.

Just be careful , it looks tall and If color is an issue, why not address that with paint or camo netting?
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

Google- Pro Staff
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby FlightCanXledWF » Tue May 28, 2013 2:18 pm

brokerbyduck wrote:That looks like a full length blind, do you plan to hunt two people out of it?

Yes I built the frame for 2 people. I made it for the whole length of the boat so I can put shadow grass the whole length of it.
FlightCanXledWF
hunter

Postby FlightCanXledWF » Tue May 28, 2013 2:26 pm

Weedwacker wrote:
FlightCanXledWF wrote:

Ian

I am firm believer that everthIng has a limit. Seems like a like of blind and a small boat for two guys and gear. Not knowing what type of hunting. My canoe hunting is either, small water that I can get out and stand in cover, or pull canoe into thick cover with a small portable blind I use that rolls up inside the canoe for transport. Other then that, I go to next size boat for safety reasons.

Just be careful , it looks tall and If color is an issue, why not address that with paint or camo netting?

Weedwacker- It will accommodate 2 people and gear fine. The seats are in the front and back leaving a large gap in the middle for plenty of gear (decoys, bling bags,paddles, etc..) stabilizers WILL be built ( 1 set for the front, one set for the back) to ensure maximum stability. It will only be used to hunt small rivers packed with woodies. If you touch the bank it's considered trespassing... So something this size I think will work great Once everything is stabilized and has proper concealment. Any rig bigger than a canoe would be to much on te rivers we hunt.

Ian
FlightCanXledWF
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue May 28, 2013 9:07 pm

I feel better knowing you plan on adding stabilizers of some sort.

We aren't trying to knock ya, it's just that canoes are tippy to begin with, much less when you start adding weight on top of it.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Tue May 28, 2013 11:48 pm

Please wear your pfd's when you are hunting out of that canoe. Crazy things happen while duck hunting and a good day on the marsh can turn into an emergency situation quickly.

I have never hunted or shot out of a canoe but doesn't it get pretty unstable if you have two hunters firing away broadside?

Maybe it's safer than it looks?
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby FlightCanXledWF » Wed May 29, 2013 1:49 pm

brokerbyduck wrote:Please wear your pfd's when you are hunting out of that canoe. Crazy things happen while duck hunting and a good day on the marsh can turn into an emergency situation quickly.

I have never hunted or shot out of a canoe but doesn't it get pretty unstable if you have two hunters firing away broadside?

Maybe it's safer than it looks?

I couldn't agree with you anymore about anything turning in to a dangerous situation. I have hunted out of this canoe or years and have never had a problem. I have stabilizers for the from and back so it stays level when 2 men are shooting. You are correct about the flimsy ness of the PVC but I plan on making it more stable (which can be done) by next season.

Ian
FlightCanXledWF
hunter

Postby threedogs » Wed May 29, 2013 2:28 pm

Looks like an accident waiting to happen. Good luck
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:18 am

Pics of the trolling motor and mount?
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:45 am

threedogs wrote:Looks like an accident waiting to happen. Good luck

x2
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby copterdoc » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:43 pm

Even with sponsons, it's going to be too top heavy once you put the cover/foliage on the frame. It's going to flip over.

Think LOW profile.
Like a layout blind that floats.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:10 pm

copterdoc wrote:Even with sponsons, it's going to be too top heavy once you put the cover/foliage on the frame. It's going to flip over.

Think LOW profile.
Like a layout blind that floats.

I never thought I would find something we agree on, but I'm going to have to say this has to be one.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds