Anyone form Flagler county

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Anyone form Flagler county

Postby Fldeerhntr » Wed May 29, 2013 9:01 am

Hello my name is Pete and I am new to the forum. I am 37 years old and a husband and father of three. I have been living in Flagler county most of my life. I have been hunting deer , hogs and turkey for many years. I have hunted out west for big game. I did do some duck hunting when I was a small child but I am now trying to get into it. I am NOT getting into duck hunting because of Duck Dynasty, I dont even have cable TV. I am just looking for something new. If anyone is from Flagler let me know. I hope to learn alot from eveyone on this site and mabey I can share some of my knowledge of other things that may help somebody else out.
Fldeerhntr
hunter

Re: Anyone form Flagler county

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed May 29, 2013 11:46 am

I'm from Flagler! Thought this day would never come. Unfortunately I don't currently live there. I'm residing in Tampa now, but my folks and sister are still there so I come home fairly often. Welcome to the forum. Flagler doesn't have much to offer as far as ducks, your best bets will be deer and hog. When I was still there I traveled north for most o my hunting. Shoot me a pm and I would be happy to hand out some ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Wed May 29, 2013 3:47 pm

yeah most of your duck hunting is going to be north south or west a little bit. Shouldnt be too far really. Most of us have to travel for birds so dont sweat it. We have some pretty decent duck hunting in this state once you figure it out and get set up the correct way. feel free to PM me and i'll help you out also. I'm a little north of you in JAX
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby Fldeerhntr » Wed May 29, 2013 8:16 pm

Thanks for the response guys. I will pm you guys as we get closer to duck season.
Fldeerhntr
hunter

Postby ryano022 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:41 pm

Tmclaimerfl will just tell you to go to myfwc.com everything you need is there.
ryano022
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed May 29, 2013 8:59 pm

ryano022 wrote:Tmclaimerfl will just tell you to go to myfwc.com everything you need is there.

Need a moderator to block this guy

WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed May 29, 2013 9:05 pm

Everyone know's that ducks don't go to Florida for vaca.. :lol3: Welcome to DHC, hold onto your boots, and don't fall into the cliche that infests this site :beer:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby ryano022 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:51 am

tmclaimerFL wrote:
ryano022 wrote:Tmclaimerfl will just tell you to go to myfwc.com everything you need is there.

Need a moderator to block this guy

Aww did that hurt your feelings :-( ha but on a serious note welcome to DHC [BEER MUG] if you want some good fishing try Merritt island/mosquito lagoon. Hunting best bet will prob be up near jax
ryano022
hunter

Postby Fldeerhntr » Thu May 30, 2013 8:28 am

I've already been on myfwc.com . I got alot of good info. I am not looking for someone to tell me were a good place to hunt is , nor am I " internet scouting " . I am just looking for good advice . I am almost fourty years old and have been in the woods since I was five years old. I'm sure some of you younger guys could probley learn something from me . I didn't mean to start a pissing contest between anyone.
Fldeerhntr
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu May 30, 2013 9:45 am

Fldeerhntr wrote:I've already been on myfwc.com . I got alot of good info. I am not looking for someone to tell me were a good place to hunt is , nor am I " internet scouting " . I am just looking for good advice . I am almost fourty years old and have been in the woods since I was five years old. I'm sure some of you younger guys could probley learn something from me . I didn't mean to start a pissing contest between anyone.

No you're good man. Thats just one of my buddies and he likes to be sarcastic. Its just a party here :beer:

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Fldeerhntr » Thu May 30, 2013 11:41 am

My bad , sorry if I came off rude. i am actualy very laid back. :beer:
Fldeerhntr
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Thu May 30, 2013 6:20 pm

much like deer hunting... the secret to duck hunting is spending time on the marsh. There is plenty of water in this state but not all of it produces quality hunting. Some reasons are habitat, pressure, location, water depth, salinity, Aquatic plant growth (or lack of it), and the list goes on. What you need to do is find places within your "range" and then start visiting, listening, watching.... As the fall wears on things will develop and change. Different species like different things too so some of it will depend on what your hunting. Some guys just want to pull the trigger so a good diver lake is right up their alley. Others want a 30 min woddie shoot.... your not likley to find anything there but woddies. Some guys are puddle duck purist and frequent smaller quiet marsh's where the trophy pintails and mottled ducks like to hide out around mid day. Its up to you... what kind of hunter you plan to be will dictate where your going to hunt.

Now is the time to get familiar with the waterways you plan to try this fall so when the birds start to show up you already have an idea of what your doing out there and where your going. If you wait until the week before opener your going to be WAY behind the curve
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu May 30, 2013 6:54 pm

hunt-chessies wrote:much like deer hunting... the secret to duck hunting is spending time on the marsh. There is plenty of water in this state but not all of it produces quality hunting. Some reasons are habitat, pressure, location, water depth, salinity, Aquatic plant growth (or lack of it), and the list goes on. What you need to do is find places within your "range" and then start visiting, listening, watching.... As the fall wears on things will develop and change. Different species like different things too so some of it will depend on what your hunting. Some guys just want to pull the trigger so a good diver lake is right up their alley. Others want a 30 min woddie shoot.... your not likley to find anything there but woddies. Some guys are puddle duck purist and frequent smaller quiet marsh's where the trophy pintails and mottled ducks like to hide out around mid day. Its up to you... what kind of hunter you plan to be will dictate where your going to hunt.

Now is the time to get familiar with the waterways you plan to try this fall so when the birds start to show up you already have an idea of what your doing out there and where your going. If you wait until the week before opener your going to be WAY behind the curve

Nail on the head

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Fldeerhntr » Thu May 30, 2013 8:35 pm

Thanks for the great tips. I am putting the finishing touches on my boat and as soon as its done I will be doing a bunch of scouting. I figure I could do some fishing at the same time.
Fldeerhntr
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu May 30, 2013 8:52 pm

Fldeerhntr wrote:Thanks for the great tips. I am putting the finishing touches on my boat and as soon as its done I will be doing a bunch of scouting. I figure I could do some fishing at the same time.

Same here. I just added some rod holders today and Im hoping to construct some hinged latch doors in the bench seats by next week. got a lot more on the list for the summer still.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby ryano022 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:40 pm

Yes I just like to bust tmclaimerfl balls a bit, we were college roommates and still buddies and he's an amateur to hunting :-) jk but I wasn't trying to start anything either. If you ever make your way to Orlando area don't hesitate to send me a pm. I recently moved back to fl and caught the tail end of last years season and got some decent spots and finding new ones. Great fishing spots too. Always enjoy meeting new hunters and like you said, I prob could/would love to learn some new pointers/tips and tmclaimerfl sure does need to!
ryano022
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting