.22 Rimfire ammo

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

.22 Rimfire ammo

Postby Wisconsincheese » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:20 pm

I cannot find .22 cal rimfire ammo anywhere. What is the deal? I can find .45, .40, and .223 but not a single box of .22. Its like they stop making this round altogether.
Wisconsincheese
hunter

Re: .22 Rimfire ammo

Postby rew » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:38 am

it has been real hit or miss around here. when it does get put on the shelf it usually is all sold within hours, not to mention only being able to buy a couple boxes
rew
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:54 am

It sucks. A few years ago I switched back to shooting a .22 because the price of reloading components had shot up and never came back down. Now I'm afraid to use up my .22 ammo because I don't know how long it'll be before I can get more of it.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:59 pm

I'm glad I bought when I did. I have 2500 rounds... and in 6 months... I will probably have 2500 rounds... :no:
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:04 pm

People are going in early, buying it all up, and reselling for profit here. Which is punishable by law if you get caught doing it on a regular basis/making a business out of it (no business license, not paying taxes off profits, no FFL license, etc.). Surprising BATFE and the IRS haven't been all over this. But they may be.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:04 am

It is just too bad the companies don't put............
"Not for resale" on their ammo boxes !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:30 am

Sagebrush wrote:It is just too bad the companies don't put............

Ya, that'll fix everything.

@
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:58 am

beretta24 wrote:

I'd like to see stores stamp their names on the boxes. During the first ammo shortage in '08-'09 a guy that worked for a local gun shop would be at Walmart every morning to buy up almost all of the ammo they put out. Amazingly, when every other place in town was out of ammo, the shop he worked at was always fairly well stocked. :huh:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:06 am

If he broke the law he could've been prosecuted without forcing companies to spend money stamping boxes.

If he was reselling do you think he had receipts for a proper sale?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:51 pm

beretta24 wrote:If he broke the law he could've been prosecuted without forcing companies to spend money stamping boxes.

If he was reselling do you think he had receipts for a proper sale?

Didn't say anything about forcing anyone to do anything, just said I'd like to see it. I live in California and I'm sick and tired of all the new regulations that seem to pop up every year. Years ago shops would do it. Kind of like advertisement, or leaving a business card.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:53 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
beretta24 wrote:

I'd like to see stores stamp their names on the boxes. During the first ammo shortage in '08-'09 a guy that worked for a local gun shop would be at Walmart every morning to buy up almost all of the ammo they put out. Amazingly, when every other place in town was out of ammo, the shop he worked at was always fairly well stocked. :huh:

There used to be stamps on the boxes....but WalMart has their value packs on .223 and .22 which are packaged differently than most other places, so it's pretty easy to identify...especially when no one else is getting any ammo in.
At my local store WalMart sells 100 round value packs of .223 for $34.97 I think, limit 3 per customer. Get on Armslist at about 11:00 every morning, and you will see ads that have 3 boxes of 100 for sale, for $70/box. Or more.

What's hilarious is people are starting to get really p1ssed off and they will counterpost an ad that points out the d-bags.
One time someone made a positive ID, connecting the online ad to the person they saw at the store, explaining how they knew it was the same person, and they proceeded to list the physical description, vehicle, and license plate number of the person.
Not sure about the legality of that but I thought it was awesome.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:26 pm

We got in 3 cases of 5500 rounds and the first case went out the door before I even opened it for $650 ( I did not ask that much, He just Offered it to me). I auctioned the rest (mind you I started them at .01) and they all sold for over $50 a box of 555. :huh: Not sure what the deal is with that but apparently there is some serious demand out there for 22lr. I am hoping to get a few more cases in if it keeps selling that high :eek:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:35 pm

I see that the all the local stores have a 2 to 4 box limit on ammo right now. 4 single boxes (50 rounds or under) or 2 high volume packs (larger then 50 rounds).

I think the shortage is just about over, I am seeing more 9mm, 45 and 223 at the suppliers now compared to last month but even the wholesalers are limiting how much we can order. Still having a hard time finding 380. :mad:

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Gunnysway » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:20 am

Are the wholesalers gouging you in prices?

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:22 pm

Gunnysway wrote:Are the wholesalers gouging you in prices?

Not gouging, just increasing them a bit so that they can stay in business. Their supply is down so their sales / profits are down and when that happens people get let go and business close. Therefore I have no problem with the increase they have imposed on ammo at this time. As an example a $20 (wholesale) box of ammo now cost me $25 and if I buy several cases I am really noticing that extra on my invoice compared to equal past pallet orders. The problem at this time is that the wholesalers are about equal to the price Walmart is selling ammo for.

Winchester AA's for instance from several of my wholesalers are now up to $8 - $10 a box but the local Meijer has them on the shelf for $7.49 :mad:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Jake88 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:39 pm

It's all just another gov't scheme. Just like the supposed "shortage" in '09. They put the word out, dealers buy the chit out of ammo and sell it for 3 prices. If people stop buying bricks of .22's for $50 ( they were selling, fast, for $75 at the local flea market yesterday AM,) then the prices will drop
Jake88
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:14 pm

Jake88 wrote:It's all just another gov't scheme. Just like the supposed "shortage" in '09. They put the word out, dealers buy the chit out of ammo and sell it for 3 prices. If people stop buying bricks of .22's for $50 ( they were selling, fast, for $75 at the local flea market yesterday AM,) then the prices will drop

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

You can believe in that if you want to, And I never noticed any shortage in 09 :huh: The whole issue started with some IDIOT that killed several Children at school when he should have been locked up in a mental hospital or at the very least on medication> This prompted another Idiot, Obama, to become the best ammo and gun sales booster we have even seen with his threats of more gun control laws. So I guess in a way it is a government Scheme but I think it actually did not play out the way anti gun scum would have liked it to :yes:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Jake88 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:33 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:
Jake88 wrote:It's all just another gov't scheme. Just like the supposed "shortage" in '09. They put the word out, dealers buy the chit out of ammo and sell it for 3 prices. If people stop buying bricks of .22's for $50 ( they were selling, fast, for $75 at the local flea market yesterday AM,) then the prices will drop

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

You can believe in that if you want to, And I never noticed any shortage in 09 :huh: The whole issue started with some IDIOT that killed several Children at school when he should have been locked up in a mental hospital or at the very least on medication> This prompted another Idiot, Obama, to become the best ammo and gun sales booster we have even seen with his threats of more gun control laws. So I guess in a way it is a government Scheme but I think it actually did not play out the way anti gun scum would have liked it to :yes:

I'm not wrong, but I agree with this as well. Obama is the best gun and ammo salesman our country has ever seen!!
Jake88
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:10 am

Maybe...
But a buck a round for .223 ...? :fingerhead:

Gouging... :mad:

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:10 pm

Gunnysway wrote:Maybe...

I do not believe any ammo should be $1 a round but some is $20+ a round if you get into Weatherby ammo. I do not like it and I think It will be back to normal by the end of the year if nothing else happens in society to cause another rush on the gun stores.

The only reason people think it's expensive, myself included, is because they want to go out and shoot 3 or 4 hundred rounds at a time in which case it might put a damper on your shooting. Most all rifle ammunition is over $20 a box and when I want to shoot my AR 308 I have to limit my shooting to a few hundred at a time or pay the price.

Gouging to me would be better described in that a supplier had Millions of rounds in stock but because of a high demand they raised the price 100%. Right now there is little supply and YOU the purchasers are setting the prices(watch some auctions where it starts at .01 and the bidders are setting the "value" of the ammo). if people stop paying the higher prices and the 8 month back logs start being filled the prices will drop off. IMO

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:44 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:The only reason people think it's expensive, myself included, is because they want to go out and shoot 3 or 4 hundred rounds at a time in which case it might put a damper on your shooting. Most all rifle ammunition is over $20 a box and when I want to shoot my AR 308 I have to limit my shooting to a few hundred at a time or pay the price.

IMO 3-4 hundred rounds for one shooting session is a little ridiculous, especially considering the situation we're in. That's a pretty good amount for even .22LR.
Sounds like people are just wasting ammo. Not that I really care about how much other people shoot, but.....there's yet another reason why there's an ammo shortage.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:49 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:
Gunnysway wrote:Maybe...

I do not believe any ammo should be $1 a round but some is $20+ a round if you get into Weatherby ammo. I do not like it and I think It will be back to normal by the end of the year if nothing else happens in society to cause another rush on the gun stores.

You're talking about a specialty round... we're talking about standardized rounds...apples to oranges.

The only reason people think it's expensive, myself included, is because they want to go out and shoot 3 or 4 hundred rounds at a time in which case it might put a damper on your shooting.
No. The reason people think it's expensive... is because it's expensive... I mean... Wolf ammo...? really...?Most all rifle ammunition is over $20 a box and when I want to shoot my AR 308 I have to limit my shooting to a few hundred at a time or pay the price.

Gouging to me would be better described in that a supplier had Millions of rounds in stock but because of a high demand they raised the price 100%.
So your wholesaler raised your price 100%...? :no: Right now there is little supply and YOU the purchasers are setting the prices(watch some auctions where it starts at .01 and the bidders are setting the "value" of the ammo).
So the retailers follow suit and, seeing how citizens are gouging each other, why not pile on the average joe who just wants to pull the trigger on his firearm...?if people stop paying the higher prices and the 8 month back logs start being filled the prices will drop off. IMO

Understand I spent 10 years in firearms... I familiar with how things work... I do know the shortage is due to citizens freaking out and buying anything they see. Auctiuons should NOT set the retail price for ammunition. That is an auction where people bid to set the price against another bidder. Buyers set the price at the store level. They have raised the prices to try to get to the numbers hit the prevoius year/s, which is difficult with the lack of merch, as well as having to deal with the slight increases in prices at the wholesale leavel which you spoke of. Also, ammunition has a stickey price like food. It rarely comes back to it's previous (pre price gouge) prices.

Consumers are being priced right out of the sport. I continue to here how we need to get kids involved in the shooting sports, yet retailers, wholesalers and manufacturers make it almost impossible. Cigarettes just went up to $7.00 here in MN. People are quitting (or attempting to) because they are being priced out of their highly addictive habbit. What will happen to a hobby when an individual, let alone a family, can no longer afford to enjoy the tradition?

I'm not pointing the finger at you spacifically, but there is a lot of finger pointing going on right now in the industry. In the end the consumer gets gouged...

I'll step off of my soap box now... I think I pulled a hammy...

Gunnysway
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum