What I Need to Start Shooting

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

What I Need to Start Shooting

Postby StevieDoza » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:26 pm

Hi, I'm a 15 year old living in Massachusetts and when I get my driver's lisence I'm going to start shooting clays. I was wondering if anyone knew what I need to legally shoot clays without a parent/guardian (not gear just lisences). If you know what lisences I need please respond to this post.

Thanks, Stephen
StevieDoza
Newb

Re: What I Need to Start Shooting

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:34 pm

Call your state fish and game for info on hunting and age requirements.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby augerin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:38 pm

I would try to contact someone from the Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP) in your area. Here is the Mass. info. See if there is a Gun Club near you or call one of the state advisors for more info. Good Luck Shooting. :thumbsup:

http://shootsctp.org/teams/state.aspx?state=MA
augerin
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:08 pm

You can contact the club you plan to shoot at and they can easily guide you in the right direction. You should not require any license to shoot clays, just a gun and ammo. generally you will be required to transport the gun and ammo in separate cases and normally the gun case has to be locked while being transported.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mawtrfowler » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:46 pm

You would need an FID and an adult with a FID or LTC to purchase a firearm and ammunition for you. The FID allows you to possess the shotgun and ammunition but you aren't allowed to purchase it until you're 18. Where in MA are you located?
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby GMC2500HD » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:50 pm

Shoot me a message on here, I live on the south shore MA and can help ya out if your still stuck. First you need to take a hunter safety or firearm safety, after that you receive a certificate that you passed the course. From there go online and fill out a form for your FID, you'll need a guardian to sign off on it. Make an appointment with your towns PD, and you will go through the process, a few months later you will receive your FID card that you have to pick up at your towns PD. Not sure if you have to be 15 or 16 though.
GMC2500HD
hunter

Return to Target Shooting