Pa waterfowl symposium

A great state with a number of waterfowl. This Pennsylvania duck hunting forum is a great place to discuss hunting practices from all over the state.

Moderators: PADUCKSTUFFER, don taylor

Pa waterfowl symposium

Postby don novicki » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:01 am

Ok all you North West Zone and Lake Erie Hunters,now is the time to make your voices heard at the 2013 Waterfowl Symposium : August 9,2013 from 1 pm to 5 pm at Pymy. If you are dissatisfied with ANY aspect of duck hunting here in Pa. that will be the day to voice your complaints/concerns. I know I will be there and I have room in my truck for a few other people if anyone would need a ride. It will be time to put up or shut up so start making plans now..........
don novicki
hunter

Re: Pa waterfowl symposium

Postby Spunky » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Hey Don is there a address that you can mail a letter to. it seems to me that there use to be a place that you could mail your complaints to.
Spunky
hunter

Postby Mr.Pymatuning » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:16 am

Don, I plan on being there also! Hopefully we can get a few things changed!
Mr.Pymatuning
DHC Sponsor

Postby don taylor » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:38 am

Mid day on a Friday? WTH is that about? I'm supposed to give up work to attend? That would be the FIRST thing you guys should say needs changed. And why not the weekend of the Pymie expo, when people may be in town??

I might go, I might not. It depends on how I feel that day and if I want to miss a half day of work (which means a half day less to hunt) to go.

With this cold spring, what if the weather changes? This hsn't exactly been the spring to prove Global Warming theories.

I slo recall the PGC sticking to the sme dates for. Roughly 5 year period. To change more often invlidates the science they used to set dates last time. I think we'll be looking at these dtes for 2 more years. I'm banking on Oct 5 opener with goose coming in s well.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don novicki » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:08 am

I'd like to find out about the "science" they use to set the dates. In fact that is one of my main questions when I get down there. I'll bet there isn't as much "science" as you think when they set the dates. If it's like everything else in Pa. they look out for their cronies first and everyone else second....Regardless, 26 consecutive days on Oct., with duckless skies, will do nothing to attract new guys/gals to the sport..........IMO
don novicki
hunter

Postby don taylor » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:09 am

I said make it in September. That's obviously too late. A Saturday. That's what I'm asking for.

You're allowed one split, unless I'm mistaken, since we have 3 zones. When would you put in the split without folding the NW zone into the North zone? Guys across the top of the state don't have the late season opportunity as you, so I wouldn't expect them to be folded in. So, one split. Where are you putting it?

I killed birds every pymie trip last year and I hunted there at least once a week while the south zone was out and for the opener on the 7th? Sure, there were less residents to kill IMO, but I did well.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don taylor » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:23 am

Also, the science. Kevin Jacobs, who everybody turns to for SJBP geese info, is an instrumental part of that science. I don't think that going in without a well thought out plan is a good idea. Don't mention cronyism and what not, lol.

You're going to have a hard time convincing guys who memory goes back more thn a few years that the weather we've experienced these past few seasons is typical. If you think people are upset about last year, I think you might have missed the rage when we saw the mass migration come and go during deer season and then be frozen out afterwards. Seeing weeks of season go by while looking aat a shallow, frozen lake and swamp really pisses people off, too.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LeakyBoot » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:35 pm

You should go to the Symposium with your hunting dates written down, for the zones and submit them at that time. Your question about science etc, should be addressed before you go to the meeting. Email Kevin Jacobs with your questions.

From what I observed at the symposium's at Middle Creek you should work from within the current system. Do yourself a big favor and enlist Andy Dively to help promote your ideas on hunting dates. Andy carries a lot of weight at these meetings. If you can get him to propose your dates you'll have a big edge in getting what you want.

Not everyone will agree on dates but presented properly, with some support from trusted people, you can change the dates.
I've never even hunted in the NW Zone so I have no ideas what should be proposed, nor do I care.
Just trying to help Don get his message across to the powers that make the final decision.
Good Luck!
LeakyBoot
hunter

Postby fullchoke16 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:43 am

I'm off that day and want to attend. Is it at the Management Building?
fullchoke16
Newb

Postby don novicki » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:25 pm

Meeting starts at 1:00 p.m. and public comments at approx 4:00 p.m.. For anyone interested.
don novicki
hunter

Postby erp10 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:02 am

Any clue on how this went?
erp10
hunter

Postby don novicki » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Got there about 14:00 place was full maybe 35 guys or so. When I walked in Kevin Jacobs was wrapping up his presentation so I didn't catch any of it. However there were several other PGC people that put on talks about population declines: mallards, blacks. scaup, and several others that I can't recall. They had graphs and things of that nature showing how each species was doing and they also touched on declining hunter numbers. Of course all of this was discussed at greater length than I can go into here but after all that was done they took recommendations from the NWPA duck hunters assn. and SRWA waterfowlers. The NWPA made recommendations for the LEZ, N zone and NW zone for duck hunting and they also made recommendations for goose. The SRWA made recommendations for the N and S zones but did not make any recommendations for the LEZ or NW zone, they also adressed snow geese and the AP goose. The NWPADHA recommended the LEZ to start Oct 28 and run to Jan 4. I think those are great dates and if I was a betting man I'm guessing the PGC will go with that. As for the NW zone, the NWPADHA recommended starting Oct 12-Dec 20 and then 1 late week Dec 28-to Jan 4. There were several other comments on the NW zone with one other guy wanting to start Oct 12 and run straight through. For myself I went with my original dates of Oct.19 and run straight through. As to what will happen it's anyone's guess but they seemed pretty receptive to input from the audience. One last thing, they went over some numbers that showed a massive decline in hunters. Pa. only puts 20K guys/gals into the duck blind anymore, we need more people involved at all levels.......
don novicki
hunter

Postby LeakyBoot » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:54 pm

Thanks for the update Don. Did you get the dates that SRWA proposed for the North & South zones?
LeakyBoot
hunter

Postby fullchoke16 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:31 pm

I was there for the entire meeting. The first part was pretty much a recap of everything you've read in the DU magazines in recent months. We all have our own opinions but I'd go along with Joe Erikson (the guy) on running it straight through or the NW Duckhunters with a late split. The latter is always chancy but you would only loose 5 days on a freeze up.
After listening to all the information presented, I'd say that these guys are putting there best effort into it, but they have a hard line to walk between the marsh hunters and the river/creek hunters in the NW zone. As for the other zones, I don't hunt them enough to make an educated guess.
fullchoke16
Newb

Postby don taylor » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:50 am

Did I read shut it down over Christmas? Aren't a lot of guys off then? How quickly people forget about the mass mallard migration that likes to show up during December. Pick an odd week, that's when they'll show up

I'm not going to complain about the 12th, but what's good for you guys is good for the south. Let us open later as well. I'm fine with a later season down here.

I sure hope, and I mean this, you guys all are making the right call on the weather. August rides on the Harley shouldn't require a jacket at night. The more early predictions I hear, the more I'm leaning towards a cold, wet winter happening.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don novicki » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:05 am

Don T. are you talking about the NW zone or the south zone, I can't tell from your comments. If you are talking about the NW zone we were going to close way earlier than Christmas already if you follow the last 2 years format. I can't imagine why anyone would complain about a 1 week split over Christmas(NW zone) because we weren't going to run that long anyway. The south zone was pretty much the domain of the SRWA and Andy Dively. I really didn't pay too much attention because I don't hunt there.
don novicki
hunter

Return to Pennsylvania Duck Hunting