what is so bad about mossberg 935

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: what is so bad about mossberg 935

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:42 am

Here's the bottom line for me....
I surf....
Surfboards are a very individual thing. There are boards that I consider a POS...but other guys rip on them...and vice versa...
The 935 is great for me...I could buy another gun, but I really believe that I'd be spending extra...just for extra's sake..
You will like it or not, it doesn't make it a crap gun..some things in life just get a bad rap and forever just live to get dumped on...
Like Jersey!
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Whatever you do.........don't ask if it has a forcing cone. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:22 pm

clampdaddy wrote:Whatever you do.........don't ask if it has a forcing cone. :lol3:

Yep...however, they do spin the heck outa shotcups! :tongue:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby vahunter2469 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:43 pm

I've always shot a 500 and then I picked up a 935 3 years ago. I hunted with it for a little over a season but I ended up trading it for a $1100 Mathews bow. I don't regret the trade but I did really like the gun, it was a hell of a deal (to me).

I took my dads SX3 on a quail hunt and loved that. It's was a little lighter (I think), takes 2-3/4 to 3-1/2 shells, and I liked the rubberized coating. It did feel a little better TO ME but I think I could buy 2 935's for the price of a SX3.

Duck hunting, especially in saltwater, can be rough on gear. Even though I like the SX3 more I think I'm going to pick up another 935, possibly this summer if I can sell some chocolate lab hair or something.
vahunter2469
hunter

Postby papagoosehtr » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:41 am

Thanks for the answers. Always liked Mossberg myself never had an auto tho.
papagoosehtr
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:23 pm

Jon Bergren wrote: They also outpattern any other gun except the Hasting barrels.....

Perhaps you gave up too soon on finding the best loads for the "any other guns".
Or, perhaps you didn't really try ALL the "other guns" that are available?

You should amend your statement to say "My 935 outpatterned every other gun I tested." Then list the three or six or however many guns you might have pattern-tested. That would give at least some credibility to your claims.

You are also fond of saying the 935 shoots 100fps faster. Faster than what? ....faster than an 8-year old on a 10-speed?
Faster than the average bear?
You claim to be an ex-engineer, act like one; don't leave out important parts. If you don't have all the pieces, you don't have a complete picture. Without the whole picture, you've really told us nothing.
mudpack
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:43 pm

Who would have thought the Ned S punch bowl would run dry?

The poor old man is nothing more than a punching bag now. It's a shame, he did have a good idea now and then. Now he is like Obama, more concerned about his legacy than facts or hard data.

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby mjk » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:48 pm

You know, I had to update this thread.

I have no skin in the game right now, not owning a 935. I am, however, contemplating owning one as ***** has the Max4 model on sale for 499.99 right now.

I went in today, and handled one for the first time. It really fit well, and I love a tang safety.

Beyond the alleged cycling issues, I hear over and over again, how bulky a gun it is. Are you kidding me? If you shoot a SX2, a Browning Gold, a Beretta 390, an Extrema, an 1187 -- don't even tell me it is 'bulky', or it feels like a 2x4. Seems judgement is clouded by the name, and perceived quality of the firearm ! :thumbsup:
mjk
hunter

Postby Steele22 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:08 pm

Had one a few years ago while in college and couldn't afford another automatic. It jammed awful. Sold it within first month
Steele22
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:20 am

The bottom line to 935's is that there should NOT be such a variation in quality between this batch and that batch of the gun. You should not have one guy (me) swearing it's a great gun that fits well and operates faithfully....and another batch of guys with horror stories...
Did they clean it out of the box? Are they shooting the correct ammo? Will they really tell you? Who knows....
But I can tell you this...I did not clean it out of the box and it jammed....I fired low brass ammo and it didn't cycle (every time)....I cleaned it thoroughly and use correct ammo and love it...never a problem..
Season 3 coming up..
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:03 pm

mjk wrote: I hear over and over again, how bulky a gun it is. Are you kidding me? If you shoot a SX2, a Browning Gold, a Beretta 390, an Extrema, an 1187 -- don't even tell me it is 'bulky', or it feels like a 2x4.

I agree....to a point.
I shoot both a Gold and an Xtrema2. Compared to those two, the 935 is not bulky. It does, however, feel oddly like a 2 x 4.

If $500 was all I could spend on a new autoloader, the 935 would be my first pick. In a field of crapguns, it is the best of the worst.
If I was really smart, however, I'd take that $500 and start looking for a good, used B-gun or 11-87. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:26 pm

mudpack wrote: In a field of crapguns, it is the best of the worst.

This is like debating if a girl is pretty or not......
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:31 pm

The problem is guys with the 2G guns cant stand it when someone beside them are knocking down just as many ducks as they are at 1/4th the price. If you search all makes have had problem just folks like to complain. Take any new gun and clean then start shooting it. If there is a problem they come with a warranty. If you buy a used gun then its buyer beware. My 2 cents.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:51 pm

Leaky-NY wrote:The problem is guys with the 2G guns cant stand it when someone beside them are knocking down just as many ducks as they are at 1/4th the price. If you search all makes have had problem just folks like to complain. Take any new gun and clean then start shooting it. If there is a problem they come with a warranty.
Leaky

And a little bit of this^^too......
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby vahunter2469 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:07 am

Slack Tide wrote:The bottom line to 935's is that there should NOT be such a variation in quality between this batch and that batch of the gun. You should not have one guy (me) swearing it's a great gun that fits well and operates faithfully....and another batch of guys with horror stories...
Did they clean it out of the box? Are they shooting the correct ammo? Will they really tell you? Who knows....
But I can tell you this...I did not clean it out of the box and it jammed....I fired low brass ammo and it didn't cycle (every time)....I cleaned it thoroughly and use correct ammo and love it...never a problem..
Season 3 coming up..

I agree 100% everything you've just said. I've had 2, first one new and missing tube from recoil system, would not cycle. Called Mossberg they sent me parts no problem. Gun was fine, no problem. 4 years still strong.

Second one, current one, I bought used. Told it had no issues and I got it for a good price. Rear shell stop was coming out too far and would slow down the lifter causing a jam 20% of the time. I did some handwork on it, shoots like a dream.
vahunter2469
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Leaky-NY wrote:The problem is guys with the 2G guns cant stand it when someone beside them are knocking down just as many ducks as they are at 1/4th the price. Leaky

If you shot a $2000 gun, you'd know that isn't true. But....you don't, so you just assume it is.

I don't care about how many ducks the guy next to me knocks down. I care about how my gun feels, how it performs, and a non-quantifiable something called "pride of ownership". When I purchase a tool, I like good tools, not the cheap tools. I like to think that my workmanship improves when I use quality tools. I know my satisfaction does.

Look at the shotguns used by champions: they are always high end. Same with gold clubs used by Open winners, tennis rackets used by Wimbleton champs, gloves used in the World Series, etc. If someone offered to buy you any shotgun you wanted, would it be a Mossberg?
That's my point.
mudpack
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:36 pm

Reason I don't own a Mossberg is I have owned a Mossberg. Proof is in the pudding.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:26 pm

Specklebelly wrote:
Jon Bergren wrote:I'm 6'-3" and weigh 185 Lbs and 84 yrs old. Mine doesn't feel "plankish". I also shoot a Condor, two 1100's and an Excell. Ned S

Is the Ned S from a years or so ago? I wondered what happenend to you. You must have gotten a new screen name.

Ned s
Jon B
Jon Duck

all the same lol
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:18 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:
Specklebelly wrote:
Jon Bergren wrote:I'm 6'-3" and weigh 185 Lbs and 84 yrs old. Mine doesn't feel "plankish". I also shoot a Condor, two 1100's and an Excell. Ned S

Is the Ned S from a years or so ago? I wondered what happenend to you. You must have gotten a new screen name.

Ned s
Jon B
Jon Duck

all the same lol

Don't forget "John Exodus".....
mudpack
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:28 pm

Slack Tide wrote:some things in life just get a bad rap and forever just live to get dumped on...
Like Jersey!

Amen to that.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:58 pm

mudpack wrote:
Leaky-NY wrote:The problem is guys with the 2G guns cant stand it when someone beside them are knocking down just as many ducks as they are at 1/4th the price. Leaky

If you shot a $2000 gun, you'd know that isn't true. But....you don't, so you just assume it is.

I don't care about how many ducks the guy next to me knocks down. I care about how my gun feels, how it performs, and a non-quantifiable something called "pride of ownership". When I purchase a tool, I like good tools, not the cheap tools. I like to think that my workmanship improves when I use quality tools. I know my satisfaction does.

Look at the shotguns used by champions: they are always high end. Same with gold clubs used by Open winners, tennis rackets used by Wimbleton champs, gloves used in the World Series, etc. If someone offered to buy you any shotgun you wanted, would it be a Mossberg?
That's my point.

Mudpack I do own a 2g gun. What I was implying is that guys get upset because they think their gun make is the best. It doesn't bother me if you came to shoot with an old single barrel gun or the fanciest one on the market, we are all out to enjoy our sport. It just seems sometimes the hype gets in the way.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby Sfd714 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:31 pm

I own 4 Mossbergs, 2-500's, 835, and the dredded 9200. The 9200 has a hiccup when it gets really cold out (20's and colder) but other than that the other 3 have never missed a beat.
Sfd714
hunter

Postby fullpattern » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:45 pm

My 935 patterns great and fits me good. The recoil with 3.5 shells is tolerable. This gun is very good for passing geese shots due to length and weight. The bargin price showed its flaws though after about 750 round of mostly 3.5inch shells when its shell extractor shered off. The next year after about another 250 rounds the pin that holds the link from the bolt to the recoil arm sheared in half. The firing pin is mushroomed but still working. The quality of steel seems to be softer than more expesive guns. That said I still like this gun and have had very few jams, and when they did happen the gun was dirty.
I also own a origional benelli SBE that kicks hard and patterns ok. The ejector pin/spring has broken twice on this gun. This gun can shoot longer while dirty though.
My favorite gun is my extrema 2 with the kickoff recol reduction. This gun throws very good paterns consistantly with the crio chokes in modified and improved. The bad about this gun is it also has broken a ejector pin/spring.Mossberg uses a fixed stud intead of a ejector pin. The gun is also long and when wareing lots of clothing it is hard to reach the safety due to it being in front of the triger gard. The last problem has been light hits on shell primers due to dirty firing pin or bolt body. No light hits with the 935. Mossbergs top tang safety is easy to reach.
I do recomend the mossberg if it fit your shoulder and budjet.
"If you call they will come" 2013-14 birds. days in field 26
50 grn wings 19 spoon 11 mal 6 rings 5 gad 3 wig 3 sprig
3 cin 4 cans 1 scaup 3 specks 1 Ross 1 snow
fullpattern
hunter

Postby washburnsports » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:05 pm

I got a new 935 in stock that I have been letting people demo that go hunting with me this season. So far people have been impressed with it considering it's not a high end semi auto. Like any gun if you can figure out what the gun likes for ammo and choke combination it's a really good gun.

I myself I have put about a box of shells through it and my main complaint is the trigger. Several times I found myself not resetting it before trying to send another round down range. This is simply most likely because I'm not use to the gun. But again for the money it's a good shotgun.
washburnsports
Newb

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:43 am

washburnsports wrote: Several times I found myself not resetting it .

What do you mean resetting it?
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum