Decoy sets for Texas coast

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Decoy sets for Texas coast

Postby Cul D' Canard » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:19 am

I am planning my first duck hunt to the saltwater flats around Rockport, TX next fall and was wondering what kind of decoy set I need to get. Does it take a large spread? I was fishing there last November and I saw hunters in airboats setting out dozens of dekes around blinds. I found a good place to put up a blind but I will be hauling everything in a small Jon boat. Also, what about motion decoys? The wind blows there most of the time, so I imagine that regular decoys will have some movement.
Cul D' Canard
hunter

Re: Decoy sets for Texas coast

Postby Duck Collector » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:21 pm

I'd say 8-10 dozen will work. I normaly hunt 12-15 dozen down there and make sure you have pintails and the rest dosent matter, the divers are about as dumb as a box of rocks there so they decoy to anything. Pintails and Red Heads, and Wigeon are about all your gonna shoot. Stay away from mojos, and use a wallmart bag to get birds attention then put it away...works like magic. You can kill Red Head almost anywhere out there but you really going to have to find where pin tails want to be. Also learn the channels before you venture to far. Most of the water there is oyster reefs with channels dredged out the middle of them. You never hit bottom hard until you hit oyster reef....
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting