Additional sight

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Additional sight

Postby scruggs12 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:20 pm

I was using a Charles Daly that I had a center bead put on in addition to the front bead. Long story short, I bought an 870 and it only has a front bead on it. Is it a mental thing to have one bead vs. two? It seems to help me stay down better on shots. Thoughts/Preferences and why?
scruggs12
hunter

Re: Additional sight

Postby Jon Bergren » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:24 pm

If you think it helps put it on. I have to have the fluorescent sight on my guns and it has to be red. 90% of hitting is pzychological. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby EdS » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:00 am

I grew up shooting rifles, so I'm sort of sight oriented. With shotguns, I believe it is best to use the one or two beads plus the rib when practicing how to mount your shotgun, but NOT to focus on the beads when actually shooting. You need to focus on the bird and let your instinctive mind control the lead and the shot. -Ed
EdS
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:12 am

EdS is correct; the bead(s) on a shotgun are not to be used when shooting.

Those who like two beads on the rib tend to use the mid bead as a rear sight......bad idea.
You should not see any of the beads on a shotgun, not consciously anyway. If you have to have a "light tube", especially one of a certain color, you are aiming the gun and not shooting as effectively as you could be.

My 11-87 came with a mid bead. Sometime before the fifth time I shot it, the mid bead fell out. I can't tell you exactly when it went astray, because I never noticed it gone until I was cleaning it after those five hunts. Minor sales point is what they are, not much more.
mudpack
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:35 am

I shot my old SX-1 without any bead for so long the hole it was in rusted. I never put a bead back on until I had the barrel cut and chokes installed. A shotgun is pointed not aimed. Shooting one is gun fit (your eye is the rear sight), practice, and eye/hand coordination.
Psychology has little to do with it. If the gun doesn't fit you can put ten beads on it in a rainbow of colors and it won't matter.
z51
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum