Freelance trip to Canada

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Freelance trip to Canada

Postby WingsCupped&FeetDown » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:24 am

Hi all,

I'm sure I'll get lots of comments like "stay home" but I'm you g to go out on a limb and ask anyway as I've heard that the hospitality up North is pretty amazing.

My brother-in-law, a good friend and I are planning a trip for the 2014 season. Would anyone be willing to share some tips for coming up?

I know issues like passports, PAL, crossing border with shotguns. What about dogs? Need vet records? What about reloaded ammo? Truck topper kayak for retrieving dekes? Where to avoid?

Thanks for any help offered.
Friends don't let Friends skybust

Amendment II
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
WingsCupped&FeetDown
hunter

Re: Freelance trip to Canada

Postby Dep6 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:29 am

Sent you a PM.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby Kjessie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:06 pm

I am in the same boat. I am looking to plan a trip to canada with a couple buddies this year. This would be my first time up there. My main issue is the wife and funding the trip. I need to keep it as cheap as possible but most of the outfitters seem to be pretty pricey, so i have heard some very successful freelance stories.
Kjessie
Newb

Postby War Wagon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:36 pm

Guys....don't be afraid to go up there, Look at some of my pic's we have NEVER paid anybody to hunt up there. We have free lanced every year. Here is some questions for you. Do you have a Provence you want to go to ? A town you want to stay in ? Do you know how to scout ? Do you know what a RM Map is ? Do you have a truck that can take you on gravel roads doing 70 to 80 mph chasing birds ? Do you know how to be friendly ? Can you talk to a farmer and gain his trust ? Do you pick up after yourself in the field ?
These are some of the most important things we bring with us every year we go. I guy has to remember this is there most important time of the year for them...HARVEST TIME...we are kind of a pest sometimes but never PO one of them, they meet each other at the Co op and talk about the good ones and those SOB hunters from the States. Don't get on that list !! I know a guide service up there that PO a farmer and is no longer hunting his land, but WE are :grooving:
Go up there if you can answer all these questions :yes: hunting like you all have dreamed about, Stop watching DVD's on Canada and enjoy a wonderful land and people

P.S. See you up there this year....War Wagon... :thumbsup:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby IH8ATTN » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:50 pm

Ya we are pretty cool up here, we don't bite. I live in Ontario and I just started hunting waterfowl more serious but a guy that sold me a bunch of new gear totally recommended me to go out west and try it. He said its really simple for the most part. You get maps that have farmers names and numbers. call them up or see them in person, 9 out of 10 times they won't care at all. They go mainly for snows so when they find Canada's they'd inform some of their American buddies who strictly hunt Canada geese and vice versa and swap locked spots. I am very tempted to try this in the next couple of years. As for the meat they ended up turning everything into jerky so they didn't have to do the portable cold freezers and have wings on to transport. Hey there are plenty of birds, have at her!
IH8ATTN
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:01 am

I may have read something somewhere where you have to have the brand in their boxes and you are allowed 200 rounds at the border, any ways check with Border Security Canada for details.
War Wagon is right on especially a vehicle that can do 70-80 km/hr not miles per hour. It would be illegal to speed and downright dangerous to hold the vehicle on a gravel road, it would be a benefit if the vehicle was a 4x4 for some gravel and fields and rutted black dirt side roads.
Always bring along some useful gifts to show your appreciation for farmers. Get a local Sask Tel phone book and carry a cell phone that works in that area, my cell has fringe reception in my hot spots. Many towns have local hunters which will give out some hot spots for a meal and a drink and a chance to tag along to see how the non residents do it with their fancy gear.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby War Wagon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:06 am

Rem1100.....We always cross the Border with more than 200 rds. They will ask you how many Rds you have. I tell them,... NEVER LIE to them.... :no: .. It all depends on the boarder crossing guard, some times they make you pay a duty on the extra rds and sometimes not. They will ask you the average cost per box and that's how they base the import duty. Be nice to them .. :yes: ..they have a job to do too.
Don't let another year go by and stay home......Get up there and see what Waterfowl Hunting is really like.. :clapping:
War Wagon
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting