Tarring long lines

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Tarring long lines

Postby jeepman » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:57 am

This morning i decided to Tar 4, 1/4 inch diamond braid rope. It went well and was relativly easy I'll just have to do it farther from everything next time because of how messy it is. I took spoon fulls of roofing tar and cut it with mineral spirits until it was like pancake batter. (just knead it with rubber gloves). I then ran the ropes through my gloved fists a few times to get off as much excess as possible. I then hung it tight in the trees in the back yard to dry. since I haven't done this before how dry is dry? should i periodically run down the lines to get additional excess off? When it is dry will the tarred lines rub black tar on what it touches? I will also report back in a couple of weeks when the rope should be dry and let every one know how they turned out since there isn't much on here about doing this in the serches i did. when it was all said and done i was able to do 4 lines for around $10 bucks.
jeepman
hunter

Re: Tarring long lines

Postby loon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:42 am

That's exactly how I do mine it may take a couple weeks to dry but if they have a sticky spot the dirt on the ground will fix that . I have had no problems with it coming off on other things. I used white nylon rope from Walmart the ones I made are much better than the ones my buddy bought exactly the right degree of stiffness .
Last edited by loon on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby jeepman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:57 am

Thanks Loon, that was exactly what I was looking to hear. The rope is drying nicely since yesterday. There are a few sticky spots particularly where i wraped it around trees or tied it. Your also right about the overall cost Vs. quality. Making your own rigging is alot more economical especially if you are going to put out more than a couple of dozon.I'm not knocking Doctori or Rig um Right set ups but a $20 to $30 dollar savings per set is significant enough to consider because that adds up quick.
jeepman
hunter

Postby loon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:48 am

the only thing i didnt see in your post is the type of line . nylon (not the poly stuff people call nylon) sinks alot of other stuff floats. I wasted some time and money tarring some camo floating line I bought at fleetfarm its perfect as far as non tangle and camo but floats so now I use it for boat anchor line
Last edited by loon on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loon
hunter

Postby jeepman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:07 pm

loon wrote:I wasted some time and money tarring some camo floating line I bought at fleetfarm its perfect as far as non tangle and camo but floats so no I use it for boat anchor line

I bought Supposed ( labeled) nylon diamond braid ,but it must be what you are talking about because the stuff does float! I didn't think to test it prior to tarring :fingerhead: I am trying to keep my rigging cost down, what brand of rope would you suggest so i don't need to have a collection of tarred rope? also might the weight of the clips sink the line? playing with it in a kiddie pool the stuff doesn't appear too buoyant after being tarred. I guess It's back to the drawing board, but that why i made this post.
jeepman
hunter

Postby loon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:18 pm

if you go to walmart and buy the white nylon rope 100ft lengths it will sink and the tar will color it black. the other lne will sink with the clips but will float up between decoys this will still probably be fine for divers but it bothered me so I redid mine with the nylon . the other thing to cosider is if you hunt with a dog you will want 24inch droppers so the dog can swim without dragging your decoys which is a huge pain and dangerous for the dog. My setup is to tie the tanglefree decoy line directly to the tarred nylon then tie a large ballbearing snap swivel to the other end with a 1ft dropper(no dog) I attach the decoy to that and leave them attached. I use the collapsible yard garbage cans (made of tarp material) after setting the lines I collapse the cans and they store easily in a small place.
loon
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Buy hollow core or solid rolls of lead. Put enough of a wrap to sink the line between each decoy. Putting a piece right in the middle between the decoys will take care of the problem for you. Wrap it around the line and crimp it to the line. Or punch a hole in each end and use small zip ties to keep the lead in place. Problem solved.

I hunt in a lot of current at times. I put egg weights on my 36 inch drop lines. The weights slide down to the clip on the mainline and help hold it down so the dog can safely swim through the decoys in a heavy current.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby jeepman » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:13 pm

I bought and tarred the correct line this time. This time I bought Solid braid Nylon rope in 3/16" and it works well. Even with the small learning curve I am only into making my rigs for the cost of a single set of manufactured ones which is about $35.00. As for the other lines i am going to make a few drop extensions for deeper water with a loop on one end and a clip on the other, so they weren't a complete loss. As for the other rope the tar stiffens it up nicely, and the tar will dry to the touch in moderatly dry, warm weather in a few days of hanging.
jeepman
hunter

Postby Parkerswaterfowl » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:10 pm

Guys instead of the trouble of tarring lines and such check out osprey lines they make a tarred green line from the factory it sinks and is ready to use right off the spool we use #6 and #7 if you need some info on getting it shoot me an email jamie@parkerswaterfowl.com
Parkerswaterfowl
hunter

Postby jeepman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:42 pm

Parkerswaterfowl wrote:Guys instead of the trouble of tarring lines and such check out osprey lines

I want to go through the trouble that is the point of the post. I didn't make my lines because I didn't know where to buy them, I made them because I wanted to use rigs I made myself that will eventually be attached to burlapped decoys I made as well. I'm not trying to be a jerk, This is my hobby and is what i enjoy doing. If i was looking for convienence I would definitely choose an easier hobby.
jeepman
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:25 pm

jeepman wrote:
Parkerswaterfowl wrote:Guys instead of the trouble of tarring lines and such check out osprey lines

I want to go through the trouble that is the point of the post. I didn't make my lines because I didn't know where to buy them, I made them because I wanted to use rigs I made myself that will eventually be attached to burlapped decoys I made as well. I'm not trying to be a jerk, This is my hobby and is what i enjoy doing. If i was looking for convienence I would definitely choose an easier hobby.

Osprey doesn't make decoy rigs, they make the line.

You asked what type/brand of line, he told you what type/brand of line. It's as high quality of a nylon line as you can get.

As far as treating your own lines, you are better off dipping them in paint than in tar,IMO.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby loon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:34 am

Thats an interesting idea paint instead of tar. as long as you use nylon line it would probably work fine and be easier to use . Ive already got all the lines I will need in my lifetime but something to think about
loon
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting