Diver/Puddle duck decoy????

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Diver/Puddle duck decoy????

Postby TNhunter611 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:18 pm

So toward the end of last season I tried a new spot and there were just as many divers flying as there were Puddle ducks. I was wondering should I buy some diver deeks and mix them in with my puddler deeks, or will my puddler deeks suffice?
2013-2014 season
10 BWT
4 GWT
8 Widgeon
4 Shovelers
4 Pintails
2 Gadwall
1 Ringed neck
TNhunter611
hunter

Re: Diver/Puddle duck decoy????

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:44 am

This is my experience on the snake river in Idaho, so it might not be the same in your area, but could be worth a shot.

I have decoyed far more puddlers into diver decoys than I ever have decoying divers into puddlers decoys. The best mallard shoot I've ever had was over 3 goldeneye decoys. Divers however are pretty species specific, they like black and whites and don't decoy all that consistently to mallard decoys. Puddlers often take advantage of divers, stealing the food they dredge up from the bottom. There is no reason not to use both types of decoys, but I do keep them loosely separated with puddlers down stream if it's moving water. Divers are typically easier to decoy than puddlers if you have the right set up and I honestly feel that using diver decoys makes the puddlers a little more comfortable since it's not the typical decoy set up they usually see.

Most people in our neck of the woods really don't decoy ducks in the truest sense of the word, they merely pass shoot over their decoys, but rarely shoot birds with feet in their face trying to land. Lots of swing pass shooting where the ducks may swing into range, but aren't committed to land. Most of the time around here guys will set their decoys out, then spend a bulk of their time drifting in their boat jump shooting ducks or rallying ducks for the buddies back at the blind. Decoying ducks has become a lost art.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby TNhunter611 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:25 pm

Thanks woodduck! Ill have to find me some diver decoys now. I appreciate the help.
2013-2014 season
10 BWT
4 GWT
8 Widgeon
4 Shovelers
4 Pintails
2 Gadwall
1 Ringed neck
TNhunter611
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:01 pm

I always use a mix of decoys. I keep the puddlers seperate from the divers. Hunting areas with mixed birds makes for some great hunting. Buy some cheap Craigslist decoys paint em black and white with the right color bill and u will smack the divers. We shoot ours right in the face. 25 yards is a long shot in my boat. I like em close enough to see their eyes widen when we stand up.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:18 am

I painted old decoys into canvasback and buffleheads and threw them on the outside of my puddle spread. It worked very very well.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:51 am

When I was younger I used both types, although grouping them separately, thinking I was covering all my bases. I now try to take my cue from what I see out there. Although you said you saw both divers and puddlers flying did you see them close to each other on the water? In my case, I don't see that too often, other than in concentrated ponds in suburban areas, where they might be getting fed. Others may have made different observations. Anyway,I usually pick which type I most want to hunt and decoy for them specifically. I also often switch from one to the other, often switching location as well. This could be due to seeing more divers than puddlers flying on that particular day, or perhaps I shot the one black duck allowed in my state and want to fill out my limit with buffleheads. The advice of others can be valuable but paying close attention to nature is one of the keys to success.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum