Where to buy wild rice seed?

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Where to buy wild rice seed?

Postby QwackAddict33 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:39 pm

I'm having a very hard time finding a Canadian supplier for wild rice seed or Japanese millet. Anyone be able to point me in the right direction for where to buy some?
Thanks A lot!
Hitmen Waterfowl TV- Team Wingmen
Society Staff at Scott Threinen's Molt Gear
Pro Staff at LastCall Waterfowl
Field Staff at GoHuntBirds.com
QwackAddict33
hunter

Re: Where to buy wild rice seed?

Postby Badbuzz » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:17 pm

http://www.eatwildrice.ca/Products/Wild ... index.html

There ya go. Keep in mind, If you are planting, I have found it works better in more northern ontario locales, and those that match shoal lake environment.

W.
Badbuzz
hunter

Postby QwackAddict33 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:19 pm

Badbuzz wrote:http://www.eatwildrice.ca/Products/Wild-Rice-Seed/index.html

There ya go. Keep in mind, If you are planting, I have found it works better in more northern ontario locales, and those that match shoal lake environment.

W.

Right on, Thanks man!
QwackAddict33
hunter

Postby Badbuzz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:12 pm

No worries. I have also found that planting closer to freezup is better, as:

a)would be considered baiting if you hunt it within 14 days, plus ducks eat most of it on ya.
b)less chance of rot

Try to plant in flowing water (not rapids, but some movement. It does not grow so well in stagnant water or lakes. Much better is there is a current.

If it is a lake that already has wild rice, it may not be considered baiting, but I would not take that risk.

W.
Badbuzz
hunter

Postby QwackAddict33 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:07 am

I have a 4 acre pond behind my house that is stream fed, and has the perfect current. I have installed a culvert with the board system to adjust water level at my desire this spring but could not for the life of me find wild rice to plant. I was going to drain it 80% down and disc/plant corn or some other type of crop but just never got around to it. But since i have taken the water down about 30-40% of its normal height there has been alot of natural grasses etc that has grown and the ducks have already been using it. Will see what happens this year i guess.
QwackAddict33
hunter

Postby Badbuzz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:05 pm

Sounds like the perfect location for planting wild rice. let us know how it turns out!

W.
Badbuzz
hunter

Return to Canada Duck Hunting