Hay bale blind

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: birddog crazy, 870shooter, KCDuckMaster, SPatrick

Hay bale blind

Postby teal12 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:46 pm

I was given a hay bale blind and was wondering if anyone else uses these or are they a waste of time and effort?
teal12
hunter

Re: Hay bale blind

Postby Normmcclean » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:17 am

I use real hay bales placed right next to each other on a farm pond for geese. I have a 4' mesh section between them works good but we have them by the lakes for 2 months so the birds are used to being right next to them. as for the pop up style bale blinds they might be real good for early season goose fields with bales already in it.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:51 am

Around ponds with other hay bale for geese is about the only/best way to use them around here! Or early season, Maybe a brush pile blind on the river or if you can find a brushy ditch to set up in... They use them a lot in canada right out in the middle of the field but the birds are dumb up there!!!! By the time they get here you have to be hidden good!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby teal12 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:32 am

Thanks for the input I plan to use it in water ways in a corn field that always has bales in it to reduce erosion. Last year the birds were landing right at the tip of these so I want to set up there and hope for the best.
teal12
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:42 am

might work.. If they get about 80 yards from you and just wont finish they are seeing you!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Cliner » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:56 am

I have some buddies who are sponsored by a hay bale blind company. They shoot deer and turkey regularly out of them. They seem to work for that. I guess it would work for fowl too
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:21 am

If you are using it in a field that already has bales in it, I think that it would be fine. putting a bale blind in a cut corn field, probably not gonna work.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting