New to this site and duck hunting.

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, Belly up dux, BigBend

New to this site and duck hunting.

Postby tankerwoodie » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:25 am

Hi i am new to this forum, Born and raised in jacksonville beach. I have been hunting private land for deer and dove for many years. Just started to get into duck hunting, I am living in the jacksonville beach area if anyone would like to get together and hunt this season let me know, I have some great deer and dove fields up in GA.Trip for Trip
tankerwoodie
Newb

Re: New to this site and duck hunting.

Postby whaknstak » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:48 am

Welcome bud. It would benefit you greatly to get up with a guy (several active members in jax) in your area and just learn the ropes. Your also offering to return the favor, which most guys aren't willing to do. It will get expensive quick. Camo, gun, shells, and a maybe a good pair of waders can get you started. If you have a canoe or Jon boat your already ahead of the curve. There are 1,000 different ways to make a blind, do some research and see what you want to try and put together. If your ever over towards Tallahassee, hit me up and ill take you out. Good luck, only three months left til teal season!
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:32 pm

hey man shoot me a PM with your number and i'll help ya out. I'm in jax too.... west side of town out in argyle. We can get you going in the right direction and i'm sure i'll find room for you to tag along in the fall if you want. One of my good hunting buddies lives over there with you (im sure he will jump in here too). there are plenty of oppertunities around if you know what your doing or catch a ride with someone that does. If it works out we can trade out some deer and dove then GREAT and if not well that's fine too.... I always try to help out guys when i can and as stak said your certianly going about this the right way by offering to exchange with guys and not just begging for everyone's secret honey holes. that gets you outcast quick!! Duck hunters are more than a little touchy about sharing hunting info...

Ohh and start collecting the basics too... now's the time. At a VERY min your going to need a shotgun, waders, half a dozen Blue wing teal decoys, rain gear, and preferably a small boat. Kayak, hybrid, canoe, small jons, 4 rivers, or momarsh's are the ticket here. Trolling motor also really helps but you CAN paddle most of the time. If your really wanting to go for it then a small 10 HP or less mudmotor is nice. Then the sky is the limit from there. Lots of different decoy options, mojos, bigger boats, layouts, dogs, fancy gear, clothes, ect ect ect.... But thats all unnessesary really, just nice sometimes.

HC
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby dogyak » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:24 pm

Hey J , are you going to even be here early season . Thought you were going overseas . @ the man that started this trend , they are giving you good and sound advice , and you are a stand up guy to give something in return .
dogyak
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:27 pm

Yeah I'll be around most of the season. May miss a few days here and there. I'm supposed to leave in Jan- Feb on deployment

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby dogyak » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:15 pm

hunt-chessies wrote:Yeah I'll be around most of the season. May miss a few days here and there. I'm supposed to leave in Jan- Feb on deployment

well then , I'll be around this fall season . Let's go one time together brother , I'll buy breatfast after then hunt :yes:
dogyak
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:55 pm

deal... I down sized my rig this season. I got the hybrid and a momarsh. Lets load up the little boats and take a trip to Merritt this fall. We can drag tankerwoodie with us and let him cut his teeth on some of the rich waterfowling history of Florida!!

hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby dogyak » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:05 pm

sounds good to me brother , plan on it .
dogyak
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:08 pm

give me a call this weekend ron and lets try to get together one of these days.

hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby dogyak » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:16 pm

hunt-chessies wrote:give me a call this weekend ron and lets try to get together one of these days.

:thumbsup:
dogyak
hunter

Return to Florida Duck Hunting