How to come about Goose Hunting Property

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

How to come about Goose Hunting Property

Postby will1515 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:26 pm

I am new to waterfowl hunting after this season and have been able to find some good places to hunt ducks, I am trying to get some places to hunt geese near me around Kansas City Missouri. Wondering if anyone knows of any place or knows how to acquire a place to goose hunt.
will1515
hunter

Re: How to come about Goose Hunting Property

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:41 pm

Get in your vehicle, drive around looking for geese, find where they're roosting, feeding, loafing, stop and ask landowner for permission.

THEN...

Treat those landowners like you'd treat your own MOTHER!! Don't ever disrespect them, bend over backwards to help them in any way you can when you can and never...EVER do ANYTHING to their land or belongings that you have to think about for more than 2 seconds if it would piss them off. If for half a second you think say driving in a field or digging down to hide your blinds, or even bringing more hunters than you originally aggreed upon would upset the landowner, DON"T. Ask them FIRST before you do ANYTHING other than just hunt. Good luck. :beer:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:10 am

That's what I do.

I start a few weeks before opening day and start scouting. By now the geese are starting their routines. Then when I'm on furlough during December and I'm able to hunt daily (possession limit allowing) I'll alternate between scouting and hunting. If I find a new field on a new farm, I'll stop and ask.

My second season of field hunting we did this. The activity died due to warm temperatures turning migrating birds into locals. We ran the geese off across the river. So we found where they went and just hammered them. The farmer's wife gave us maps and was super nice!

I'll use GPS and Google Earth on my cell phone as well.

Makes sure to that you know the land boundaries and where you can hunt.

I hunted a field across from a farm house last season. I was safe and a good distance from the house. The issue was the farm dog pup. I did get three good hunts in but the dog was an issue. She kept running down to visit us. The farmer who is a very very nice person asked me on a scouting trip to not hunt that field because the dog was a pain. No issue.

In Montana pretty much every farmer will let you hunt geese/ducks. The only catch is they won't let you drive into the fields. So before you buy a trailer full of dekes see about that. If you can't I'd look into a silo spread and a light weight blind. Don't even bother with a lot of full bodies.

Another thing I'll do is give them gift cards for food. A night out on a dinner date isn't a common thing for most farmers and their wives. Or if they are a younger family with kids, pizza is great. I'll probably mail mine this summer as a thank you and request.

Also make sure you have at least two large farms to hunt. If the birds change or other hunters show up. Make sure you scout a couple fields and have a plan B.

Another big thing is if you do run into hunters on "your farm" don't get mad. Take the time to chat with them and build a relationship with them. If you are alone and you can join their group, awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Takeem406
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:58 am

KC is pretty competitive best method to obtain hunting dirt is to offer weekends during the summer. most farmers have tons of things that need to be done I have also rented log splitter and put of 5 cords of wood to gain access to the property in the long run its a lot cheaper than a lease and the farmers tend to appreciate it more and then they can give you the phone numbers of some of their farming buddies in town and once they vouche for you your in. check up around St. Joe and orrick that area is the best in the state for honkers and snows but a lot of guides know that as well so it can be tough to find good dirt that isnt taken. good luck and good hunting.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:27 pm

Most be nice to be able to hear an OK once in a while.... Back this way, most spots either have family members already hunting or a club.group has the hunting rights to the farm. We seem to have as many folks chasing the geese and the goose numbers themselves. And most clubs & groups have a waiting list :rolleyes:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Goosebuster72 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:19 pm

Just get out and ask.. I just moved to a new rural area with a lot of corn and wheat fields, and so far have 5 different fields to choose from.. Up here everyone hunts deer and not waterfowl
Goosebuster72
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum