Deleted Post

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Deleted Post

Postby SEGunner » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:25 am

Deleted Post
Last edited by SEGunner on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SEGunner
hunter

Re: Quack Decoys (Bad Customer Service and Shoddy Work)

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:31 pm

$45 for a decoy that sounds like it was painted with water colors? If the decoy is 25 inches long it should have been more along the lines of $100 to $125 for a goose size decoy. The wood duck paint job which is complex should have been a big part of that cost. There are plenty of good American decoys companies out there.

I make my own foamers. I cannot imagine having my paint ever run. Each coats gets a week cure time in hot weather and a month in cool weather. I also don't ever use paint that would run in the rain.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby SEGunner » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:12 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:$45 for a decoy that sounds like it was painted with water colors? If the decoy is 25 inches long it should have been more along the lines of $100 to $125 for a goose size decoy. The wood duck paint job which is complex should have been a big part of that cost. There are plenty of good American decoys companies out there.

I make my own foamers. I cannot imagine having my paint ever run. Each coats gets a week cure time in hot weather and a month in cool weather. I also don't ever use paint that would run in the rain.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed. Some of the colors ran together too. I just wish people do what they say they are going to do.
SEGunner
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:17 am

They use to be a great company. I had a few...and even with water based paints...nothing ran together. They floated and looked like cork..is what I liked about them...but I never really had an paint issues....now, C/S is another whole ball of wax. To say one thing and do another to a customer....yer done, game over. Sorry you had to go through what you went through.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby SEGunner » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:53 am

goosehunter64 wrote:They use to be a great company. I had a few...and even with water based paints...nothing ran together. They floated and looked like cork..is what I liked about them...but I never really had an paint issues....now, C/S is another whole ball of wax. To say one thing and do another to a customer....yer done, game over. Sorry you had to go through what you went through.

The second chance was to make it right... and I think they fell short. Ken is very pleasant to talk to, but again, talk is cheap. I was hoping for a little more from an American company. The economy is far from fixed, and I would think they would want to do all they can for a new customer, who could have been a customer for life. I really like the idea of them doing special orders, which is the only company thus far who I could find willing to do them. I spoke to the folks at G&H, but they said they couldn't do special orders on account it would mess up their production line.
SEGunner
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:40 am

That's too bad. I have a few Quack black ducks in my spread and I repaint them myself when needed. I like the decoys, soft bodies, movable heads, etc. Pretty much bullet proof.
I stopped by their facility (an old mill building) in Pawtucket, RI a few years ago and had a chance to chat with Ken in his office. Very nice guy, but perhaps as he's getting pretty old, some of the basic business practices are slipping away.
That being said, I would still buy any old ones that I find at yard sales, repaint them and add to my spread.
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby SEGunner » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:14 pm

MassDecoyCarver wrote:That's too bad. I have a few Quack black ducks in my spread and I repaint them myself when needed. I like the decoys, soft bodies, movable heads, etc. Pretty much bullet proof.
I stopped by their facility (an old mill building) in Pawtucket, RI a few years ago and had a chance to chat with Ken in his office. Very nice guy, but perhaps as he's getting pretty old, some of the basic business practices are slipping away.
That being said, I would still buy any old ones that I find at yard sales, repaint them and add to my spread.

Yes, I agree, probably one of the nicest people I've ever talked to. I was probably a little harsh with my comments. I was looking at the decoy today, and from a distance, one couldn't tell the paint runs anyway. It just bothered me having to pay for shipping twice. I'm sure my experience is not the norm, and maybe I'll look into them in the future. Bigger Water Decoys are going to make me a Super Magnum size block, so I guess I'll have something to compare it to.
SEGunner
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum