Fox river just south of Alqonquin Rd dam

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Fox river just south of Alqonquin Rd dam

Postby ReaperWaterFowl » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:16 pm

Hey, does anyone know if you can legally duck hunt just south of the Alqonquin Rd dam on the Fox river? I sort of know the answer because I have seen blinds on that portion of the river, but I can find no information about the hunting there. Can I hunt from my boat on that portion of the river? Are those blinds (in the water) public like the grass lake ones? Any information would be appreciated greatly. Thanks.
BOW-LOWS PRODUCTIONS PROSTAFF
ReaperWaterFowl
hunter

Re: Fox river just south of Alqonquin Rd dam

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:11 am

Get in touch with the county dnr you want to hunt in. They and the cities around potential hunting sites are the authorities.

What I'd do, is scout it out by google maps. Print pictures of where you are thinking about hunting. Then, take those pictures to the authority, and check it out.

Weather or not there are any birds there, that's up to the bird gods.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:03 am

I'd be interested to hear the answer to this one as well. From what I've seen/read, you might be able to hunt up that way. If I recall correctly, there is some guy that actually guides up that way as well, I can't remember his name though :huh:

I've never hunted up that way but i'd imagine that you could shoot the occasional few ducks and probably kill geese with some level of regularity once the subdivision ponds freeze up.

Good Luck!
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:09 am

You can do it, it's just finding where you can do it. Gotta be so many feet away from buildings, not in city limits, can't be on private property. All things the hunter is responsible for. I don't know if the Fox is considered a navigatable waterway. Private individulas may own the bottom of the river, you may not be able to drop anchor on their property without permission. lots of variables, that you are responsible for. Then you have to contend with the local hunters. Be sure, they aren't going to give you any help.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:13 am

Agreed 100%. From what I've been told just finding somewhere to ( legally ) launch the boat can be the biggest challenge.
I love how easy it is to hunt in IL :no:

Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby mallardhead » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:52 am

The blinds out there are privately owned,BUT the spots are public so no one can claim it to be their own. Almost every one is padlocked. law enforcement can not side with the builder for private use.The blinds you've seen are bordered by forest preserve property, and is the only section of the river that's not considered trespassing for some reason. The county has been trying to get them off the river. One blind I know of has been a family spot for over 50yrs. so I think there is some kind grandfathering issue. But the big problem there is access,the public launch is F.P. property. (NO GUNS OR AMMO) And ramp access closes Nov.-March. The guy's that hunt this part of the river either live ON the river or have permission to use land owner property. Good luck, I've quit trying.
mallardhead
hunter

Postby mallardhead » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:09 am

PM sent
mallardhead
hunter

Postby ReaperWaterFowl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:35 am

Thanks for all the info everyone. It seems like a lot of gray area to hunt the fox. I will call the DNR about that and post what I find out.
BOW-LOWS PRODUCTIONS PROSTAFF
ReaperWaterFowl
hunter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:30 am

mallardhead wrote:The blinds out there are privately owned,BUT the spots are public so no one can claim it to be their own. Almost every one is padlocked. law enforcement can not side with the builder for private use.The blinds you've seen are bordered by forest preserve property, and is the only section of the river that's not considered trespassing for some reason. The county has been trying to get them off the river. One blind I know of has been a family spot for over 50yrs. so I think there is some kind grandfathering issue. But the big problem there is access,the public launch is F.P. property. (NO GUNS OR AMMO) And ramp access closes Nov.-March. The guy's that hunt this part of the river either live ON the river or have permission to use land owner property. Good luck, I've quit trying.

This is accurate from what I've been told...
Blackcloud870 wrote:I'd be interested to hear the answer to this one as well. From what I've seen/read, you might be able to hunt up that way. If I recall correctly, there is some guy that actually guides up that way as well, I can't remember his name though :huh:

I've never hunted up that way but i'd imagine that you could shoot the occasional few ducks and probably kill geese with some level of regularity once the subdivision ponds freeze up.

Good Luck!

The guide was Twisted Timber Outdoors. I used him when I got started. He has gone out of business since. He was using private property to access the blinds.
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:17 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:
mallardhead wrote:The blinds out there are privately owned,BUT the spots are public so no one can claim it to be their own. Almost every one is padlocked. law enforcement can not side with the builder for private use.The blinds you've seen are bordered by forest preserve property, and is the only section of the river that's not considered trespassing for some reason. The county has been trying to get them off the river. One blind I know of has been a family spot for over 50yrs. so I think there is some kind grandfathering issue. But the big problem there is access,the public launch is F.P. property. (NO GUNS OR AMMO) And ramp access closes Nov.-March. The guy's that hunt this part of the river either live ON the river or have permission to use land owner property. Good luck, I've quit trying.

This is accurate from what I've been told...
Blackcloud870 wrote:I'd be interested to hear the answer to this one as well. From what I've seen/read, you might be able to hunt up that way. If I recall correctly, there is some guy that actually guides up that way as well, I can't remember his name though :huh:

Good Luck!

The guide was Twisted Timber Outdoors. I used him when I got started. He has gone out of business since. He was using private property to access the blinds.

For once, I've assumed correctly. In your face age old saying!! :hammer:

Blackcloud870
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting