Duck Hunting Forum banner

Black bellied whistling duck

5K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  creole 
#1 ·
I call them Mexican Whistlers but anyway, we had a TON of them this year and they are still EVERYWHERE. Still at the lakes, ponds and heck, still in the city sitting in the trees. No joke, I swear lol. It's crazy how many we killed this year but the main reason why I'm posting this is I was wondering if y'all have them wherever y'all are at and if you've ever killed any. This is the first season I've seen them here in East Texas and they're actually kinda big and still really good eating.

#2 ·
I can remember the manager at Lacassine NWR here in LA being all excited about having their first nesting pair ten or fifteen years ago, but it wasn't long before they were thick enough to be a scourge to rice farmers. Last I'd heard they'd expanded their range east all the way to VA.

#4 ·
That's interesting. The first time I saw them this past season, it was just me and a buddy and all of a sudden we hear a loud funny sounding whistle like nothing we've every heard. Well, it started to get louder and louder so we decided to turn around and coming over the trees at this public lake, about 750-1500 of them were just swarming. It truely looked like a black cloud lol. Well anyways, almost all of them lined the shore and about 150 piled into our decoys. However, never seeing them before, we scrambled on our phone googling all the species of ducks and trying to see if it was legal to shoot them. Anyways, at the end of the day we walked away with a 2 man limit. And even it being 100 degrees here in East Texas right now, they still continue to roost in the same cove on the lake.

#7 ·
Westtennduckhunter said:
I'm sure Rick knows more about them I do.
I can't claim to have them pegged. Seems like most of the year they just shift around en mass, being thick for a while, then absent, then thick again. Have long wished for a couple in our September teal limit, but we also have them, off and on, for the entire regular season, regardless of weather:

#10 ·
Streater said:
...nor do they come to a call...
I was once convinced of that, too, and had to shown a remarkably effective means. Not at liberty to share the "secret," but it's out there for those who listen to the birds and think outside of the box.

Bumping a spinner on and off can help sway them, too.

#16 ·
I live in Ocala Fl and they are everywhere here. I was out playing golf and they were landing in the water right next to me. They are great to eat and like everyone else said dumb. My father and i had a group fly in we shot and got 3 a piece they circled back around and then tried to land again and we got 3 more a piece. Craziest thing Ive ever seen!

#17 ·
dog walker said:
I saw the first ones here on the east side of the Ms river in coastal La in 2006. They are thick here all summer and for teal season but come November they are just about gone. Now up by the grain elevators they never leave, they stay year round.
X2...the grain elevators in Destrehan are loaded down with them...if they would fly a little further south (as in the marsh between airline hwy and I-10) I would get a shot at them!!

#20 ·
Nutt said:
QuackkAddictsTX said:
I call them Mexican Whistlers but anyway, we had a TON of them this year and they are still EVERYWHERE. Still at the lakes, ponds and heck, still in the city sitting in the trees. No joke, I swear lol. It's crazy how many we killed this year but the main reason why I'm posting this is I was wondering if y'all have them wherever y'all are at and if you've ever killed any. This is the first season I've seen them here in East Texas and they're actually kinda big and still really good eating.
Just curious what part of east tx are you in? I've never seen one here in netx.
Around the Mt. Vernon, Mt. Pleasant and Pittsburg areas.

#22 ·
Though Larry has been looking into ways of getting the September teal season framework changed to allow us some whistling ducks then, that's still way down the pipe at best. Count like other ducks in the overall limit of 6 during the regular season with no special species restrictions.

That's here in LA. Other states may have other restrictions.

#23 ·
QuackkAddictsTX said:
Nutt said:
QuackkAddictsTX said:
Small world I'm from Pitt.

#26 ·
Nutt said:
QuackkAddictsTX said:
Nutt said:
QuackkAddictsTX said:
Small world I'm from Pitt.
Wow, that's awesome! I hunt with a couple of people from there. We're having a hard time finding places to hunt this year from the water being so low.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.