Winchester SX3 or Browning Silver

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Winchester SX3 or Browning Silver

Postby clymerfowler » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:24 am

getting a new 3 1/2 goose gun and am stuck between these two guns. i love the looks of the silver but have heard alot of good things about the sx3.
Pigeons-201
woodchucks-33
clymerfowler
hunter

Re: Winchester SX3 or Browning Silver

Postby flightstopper » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:54 am

Very happy with my silver. That said from what I understand they are basically the same gun. To the point where parts are interchangeable between the two. Although I could have the SX2 and SX3 confused. Hopefully cannon will reply for you to verify, my source for this info.
Indaswamp wrote:
Bgold wrote:Finally just got to use mah .45 on a living thing...

you named your junk .45???? :huh:
flightstopper
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:16 pm

The SX3 and the Silver are the same action made by the same Company with different appearance and stock geometry. I would go with the one that FITS you best. The Browning is more money which makes the SX3 a better value. I have hunted waterfowl with a 3 1/2" SX2 since 1998. The SX3 is a lighter version of that gun. I also have 3" SX3. You can't wrong with either gun.
z51
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:57 pm

what about the silver and maxus
Pigeons-201
woodchucks-33
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:04 pm

i have a full camo silver that has had three boxes of shell through it that i can get for 800 from a friend.
Pigeons-201
woodchucks-33
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:09 pm

What these guys said. Basically the same gun with a different look and feel. I have a Silver, a buddy shoots an SX3. I like the feel of my Silver but my friends Winchester has one feature that I really like. It has an aluminum mag tube with a short sleeve of steel for the piston to ride on. My Silver has a stainless tube but it will still rust if I don't wipe it down or blow it out with compressed air after it gets wet. After a week of some really wet hunting a rust spot grew inside of the mag tube on my Silver and it caused the mag plunger to hang up. My gun was a 2 shot repeater until I polished the rust spot out. Better housekeeping has prevented any similar issues. Not a big deal, just something to consider.

I had a maxus for a few years. Another great gun but I just didn't shoot it very well, no matter how I shimmed the stock. For the money the Silver was a better deal for me. I never used the mag cut off or the speed load feature on my maxus so my Silver did the same job for less money.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:16 pm

I faced the same dilemma about six months ago: SX3 or Silver. Went to a gun shop that had both. Looked at them, held them, shouldered them.
As was said, mechanically they are the same gun, so it comes down to aesthetics. The Browning had very plain wood, no gee-haws. The SX3 had gorgeous wood, so nice I thought it was fakewood (ala Beretta). I pulled the forearm off and, no, the wood was real. I bought the SX3.

I don't care all that much for the silver finish on the metal, but the dullness is a plus. The red accents look kinda' chintzy, but I've gotten used to it. I like the stock's adjustability. I shoot it well, but it sometimes releases two shells upon firing. Gun still cycles until empty, even with an extra shell floating between the bolt and the lift. Go figure.

All in all, I don't think I made the wrong decision. Only way for you to tell which you like most is to pick each one up and examine them closely.
mudpack
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:32 pm

im getting my gun in synthetic camo or black. most likely black so wood looks aren't a worru
Pigeons-201
woodchucks-33
clymerfowler
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum