Duck Commander signed with Mossberg!!??

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Duck Commander signed with Mossberg!!??

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:36 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:. Oh yeah, and the USMC specs call for a "decent pump" ? :rolleyes:

The Mossbergs they carry aren't the same ones you'd go and buy at your local sporting goods store. Same issue with the 870's that most police forces use.

Really? nno!: I happen to own a 870WM that was initially LE issue (sold as surplus) and it is in no way functionally different from the other (non LE issue) 870WM's I own.

The current 870 Law Enforcement Magnum shotguns are basically 870's that go through the custom shop for some upgraded parts (extractor, springs, safety) and extra attention to detail to ensure total field reliability. But yes, other than horribly reamed chambers that cause jams in the Express line, they do function the same as any other currently produced 870. Just like how a Mossberg 590A1 functions no differently than a 500 even though the 590 has a couple upgraded parts to help ensure battlefield reliability.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:44 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:. Oh yeah, and the USMC specs call for a "decent pump" ? :rolleyes:

The Mossbergs they carry aren't the same ones you'd go and buy at your local sporting goods store. Same issue with the 870's that most police forces use.

Really? nno!: I happen to own a 870WM that was initially LE issue (sold as surplus) and it is in no way functionally different from the other (non LE issue) 870WM's I own.

The current 870 Law Enforcement Magnum shotguns are basically 870's that go through the custom shop for some upgraded parts (extractor, springs, safety) and extra attention to detail to ensure total field reliability. But yes, other than horribly reamed chambers that cause jams in the Express line, they do function the same as any other currently produced 870. Just like how a Mossberg 590A1 functions no differently than a 500 even though the 590 has a couple upgraded parts to help ensure battlefield reliability.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotgun ... odel/50676

Looks like civilians have access to the same shotgun.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:06 am

Yes you can get them. Same with the Remington Law Enforcement Magnum. Never said you couldn't. Just saying that it probably isn't a model your going to find at your local Big5 or Walmart, and it has upgraded features over the standard civilian models.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:33 am

clampdaddy wrote:Yes you can get them. Same with the Remington Law Enforcement Magnum. Never said you couldn't. Just saying that it probably isn't a model your going to find at your local Big5 or Walmart, and it has upgraded features over the standard civilian models.

That is not what you originally posted: ..."The Mossbergs they carry aren't the same ones you'd go and buy at your local sporting goods store. Same issue with the 870's that most police forces use"...

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:Yes you can get them. Same with the Remington Law Enforcement Magnum. Never said you couldn't. Just saying that it probably isn't a model your going to find at your local Big5 or Walmart, and it has upgraded features over the standard civilian models.

That is not what you originally posted: ..."The Mossbergs they carry aren't the same ones you'd go and buy at your local sporting goods store. Same issue with the 870's that most police forces use"...

Tell you what, go to your local sporting goods shop, (not a dedicated gun store) and see how many 590a1's and 870 Law Enforcement Magnums they have on the shelf.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:36 am

Hey guys, this is a duck hunting web site. We generally talk duck guns here. The big bad black gun forum is down the hall on the right.

Having said that, I will try to tie the two together. Generally the Government buys the cheapest thing that meets the minimum specification. True story, going shopping for a gun for my bro-inlaw to hunt with me. Both being Navy vets, him more in the security trade, I said "you could get a Mossberg cause you are already familiar with that." His reply: "Nah, already seen enough of them in pieces in the armory." He bought a Nova, not my choice but works great for him.
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:41 am

I dont really care about the guns because they will kill ducks with any shotgun. I do think that Willie is taking things a little too far with the marketing and stuff. I garantee you all the other memebers of duck commander kinda think the same. I think willie just wants to grow the business even more. The one probelem ive had with duck commander is that since duck dynasty aired a lot of unexperienced newbies have started to try to duck hunt. Its so dumb because they have no idea what they are doing.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:58 am

I split this into two parts for you to answer it.

thomashamm2 wrote:I dont really care about the guns because they will kill ducks with any shotgun. I do think that Willie is taking things a little too far with the marketing and stuff. I garantee you all the other memebers of duck commander kinda think the same. I think willie just wants to grow the business even more.

At the end of the day, they are making money. That is all that really matters to them.

The one probelem ive had with duck commander is that since duck dynasty aired a lot of unexperienced newbies have started to try to duck hunt. Its so dumb because they have no idea what they are doing.

That would happen regardless. Ever seen people get on a jetski that don't know what they're doing? They do it because it looks interesting. The correct way to fix the problem is invite people who don't know what they're doing with you, to show them the ropes. Not sit around and complain from 200 yards away.

For clarification, I have a guy joining me on opening weekend. He has duck hunted once in his life, which was with me last year. After hunting, he went and bought him some decoys, so we could have more to use. He doesn't use a duck call, he doesn't shoot at birds 90 yards away, he waits until they are close enough. Why? He has someone with him showing him what to do.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:27 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:

Tell you what, go to your local sporting goods shop, (not a dedicated gun store) and see how many 590a1's and 870 Law Enforcement Magnums they have on the shelf.

That's also not a relevant statement as most any gunshop can get you one, if they're out. :hi:

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Postby John Duck » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:09 pm

Does the mossy come with face make-up and a fake beard? Just wondering?
John Duck
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:34 pm

Yuchi1 wrote: That's also not a relevant statement as most any gunshop can get you one, if they're out. :hi:

It is relevant in that the 590a1 you brought up (you called it a 500 series) carries a few reliability improving enhancements that are not available on the 500, 535 and 835 sporting models that thousands of people buy at a sporting goods store for purpose of waterfowling.......which I hear the Robertsons kinda like to do. It's been fun but I've had my fill of this one. Stick a fork in me, I'm done. :hi:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:58 am

clampdaddy wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote: That's also not a relevant statement as most any gunshop can get you one, if they're out. :hi:

It is relevant in that the 590a1 you brought up (you called it a 500 series) carries a few reliability improving enhancements that are not available on the 500, 535 and 835 sporting models that thousands of people buy at a sporting goods store for purpose of waterfowling.......which I hear the Robertsons kinda like to do. It's been fun but I've had my fill of this one. Stick a fork in me, I'm done. :hi:

Actually, you were done, several pages back. :wink:

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:46 am

Yuchi1 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

Actually, you were done, several pages back. :wink:

That's funny, as you could not prove a single one of my statements to be wrong. In that sense you are correct. I could have quit long ago.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:06 pm

I still love you guys! :wink: Now shake hands, say Amen and pass the Duck Commander brand gravy to put on my Duck Dynasty brand pork chop (formerly Paula Deen).
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:19 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:Isn't the Mossberg pump (500 series) what the USMC guys carry?

Yeah, but any company can make a decent pump gun. The better question is, "who makes the autos they carry?". :thumbsup:

Looks like you agreed, (and, even tried to divert by going to the S/A's) but are now trying to stay on the head of that pin by saying the "500 series" doesn't include the "other" 500 models.

Another internet alligator (mouth) with a spring lizard anus. :no:

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:24 pm

I said be nice,and shake hands before I beat up guys with my Duck Commander Uncle Si tea cup. :mad:
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:28 pm

A5Gunner wrote:I said be nice,and shake hands before I beat up guys with my Duck Commander Uncle Si tea cup. :mad:

I would but cannot lean that far to the left (coast)! :wink:

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:50 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:
A5Gunner wrote:I said be nice,and shake hands before I beat up guys with my Duck Commander Uncle Si tea cup. :mad:

Whoa, whoa, whoa! A spirited discussion about guns is one thing, insinuating that I'm a liberal is fightin' words! :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:56 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa! A spirited discussion about guns is one thing, insinuating that I'm a liberal is fightin' words! :lol3:

Alright, I'm sorry for being so mean.... :umm:

FSH Pro Staffer

Yuchi1
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:01 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:

Alright, I'm sorry for being so mean.... :umm:

Forgotten. :beer:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:10 am

On the Mossberg website their is a picture showing the Duck Commander crew holding the shotguns that are going to be introduced mid winter. It will be interesting to see if there really are any changes made to their guns other than cosmetic changes.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby TrapperRob » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:16 pm

buckmeister wrote:On the Mossberg website their is a picture showing the Duck Commander crew holding the shotguns that are going to be introduced mid winter. It will be interesting to see if there really are any changes made to their guns other than cosmetic changes.

I'm sure it will be duck commander decals, and $500 to the price tag.
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby FL Saluki » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:50 pm

mnbirdkiller429 wrote:I'm new to this site. I was googling duck commander mossberg and read your forum. When I was a kid my dad had one of the first 835's. Why I don't know because I never seen him hunt for any birds. Having a dad that wasn't a waterfowl hunter I didn't waterfowl hunt. When I was 20 I moved to Phoenix AZ and didn't hunt anything for many years. Dad was diagnosed with cancer when I was 29 and I came back to MN to help out on the family farm. I immersed myself in mn wildlife. I bought a small boat and fished like I had never fished before. I hunted whitetail deer like I had when I was a kid. A friend of mine was hard up and needed money for christmas presents and sold me an old mossberg 500AB . I started shooting clays and my love for shotguns grew. The next fall I went out and got a 835 and started goose hunting and was instantly addicted. I love my 835 and shot 1000s of shells through it at geese, clays and a few turkeys. This year I went out and got a 935 and duck hunted for the first time. Opening morning the ducks dropped like rain. I went with my girlfriends brother and his friends. Before we started the hunt everyone there asked what kind of gun I had and said with pride a mossberg auto mag. I was laughed at and told how worthless a mossberg was. After duck 6 or 7 someone asked me how much I had paid for it. 2 weeks later that guy purchased his own and loves it as much as I love mine. Did duck dynasty get me to duck hunt? No peer pressure did I was suppose to work that morning. I called into work while calls were being blown into and shots were going off and said I wouldn't be in that morning I was duck hunting. You guys can call Duck Commander sell outs for switching brands. I agree with them an American family company using an American family built firearm. Will I buy a Duck Commander Mossberg? I plan on it with great anticipation. The girlfriend needs a 12 ga and she will get a 500 or 835 of her own. She shoots clays with me alot not much of a hunter. Old Phil sat in his little shed and made duck calls and worked very hard 40 years ago and is now living the American dream. I say good for all the Robertsons. I'm glad some down to earth nature loving redneck folks with a love for their country and our future are in the spotlight. The show entertains me. Its nice to see a show without alot of cursing and bleeps that portraits people like myself having as much fun as they can and living life to the fullest.

I agree. I got here the same way through Google. I'm middle-aged and started hunting about five years ago. Basically I'm still new to the sport and trying to learn as much as I can. I'm not a very good hunter at all, but I'm having the time of my life.

Here's my proverbial 2 cents on the subject...

Regarding Mossbergs... People like me who are new to the sport and don't have a lot of disposable income find Mossberg pump shotgun to be affordable, reliable entry level option. I have a 20 gauge 500 model with interchangeable barrels (field barrel and rifled barrel for slugs). I also have a 12 gauge camo 535 model, also with interchangeable barrels (field barrel and turkey barrel). I don't want to question motives, but I wonder sometimes if pride and status creeps into our purchases? I fully recognize that you basically get what you pay for, and a Browning Citori or a Benelli Legacy is usually going to be more reliable and last longer than a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. But I also would suggest that a whole lot more of it has to do with who is using it.

I grew up golfing, and on the rare occasion that I hit the links, I frequently find myself outplaying guys who are hitting the latest fancy new clubs, even though I am swinging 35 year old clubs... I even use WOOD woods on the fairway!

I suspect wielding guns is much the same. Put an entry level shotgun in Phil Robertson's hands and you're going to end up with a lot more dead ducks a lot quicker than if you put a Benelli Super Vinci in my hands.

Regarding the Robertsons... As a new hunter who is satisfied with my Mossbergs, I am excited that the Robertsons have signed with them. I like the Robertsons. I like Mossberg. What's not to like? But if someone wants to buy me a Browning or a Benelli, I'd be fine with that too. I'm not going to be loyal to Mossberg just because the Robertsons have signed on. If the Robertsons can get more people into hunting, I say, wonderful! I'm tired of our country moving further and further away from our roots. The more people that get into hunting, I believe the more people will starting thinking about our 2nd amendment rights.. and that isn't just a good thing. That's a great thing!

I'm looking forwarding to seeing what the Mossberg DC line looks like.
FL Saluki
Newb

Postby A5Gunner » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:50 am

It will look just like any other Mossberg except it will have a beard and an extra $200 price tag. :yes: The uncle Si edition will come with a cheap 70s tupperware cup you can get for a nickel at a yard sale...and an extra $200 price tag. Pay it if you want but I will send my money to DU if I feel like giving it away, at least it will do some good there. It's not jealousy, why would you pay more cause it's got somebody's name on it? I get that celeb endorsments bring attention to your product but special products with thier name on it are just crap.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:01 am

Whats wrong with making as much money as they can.All they're trying to do is take care of their families just like the rest of us.
Bernie P.
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum