Duck Commander signed with Mossberg!!??

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Duck Commander signed with Mossberg!!??

Postby Yuchi1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:04 am

I think back to the first duck I killed (11/1967) and how my thought process functioned then and what it has evolved to at present day.

IMO, most of us have probably followed a similar path and Robertson & Co. are no exception and have managed to make a passion into a profit center. Bully for them. At least he isn't incarcerated in a federal prison for violating the law like some gangsta-style people we all know. IMO, the show is successful because they are being themselves and people pick up on that especially given the raft of "reality" shows that are as plastic as they come.

BTW, will try and locate guys with Mossturd 835 & 500 models and will take them to the gunclub, chrony the same factory loads through them to see what happens. Stay tuned.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:02 am

yuchi 1

Those Robertson boys , were them-selves a few years ago but , today I like who they were , a duck shoot'n clan that
took pride in want they could , make happen .

A RV trailer on top of a 12' platform , with power for a coffee maker and a recliner ? yea right ! :fingerpt:

With them shooting Mossy's now , 100 fps faster than in the past , there won't be a Gray Duck flying much farther
south of the stateline ?? :fingerhead:
3200 man
hunter

Postby publius » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:40 pm

They've gone to Mossberg because of the money and I don't blame them. I don't understand all of the hate towards Mossberg. They have long been considered to be one of the best pumpguns made. I don't like them as much as an 870 but have spent enough time behind a 500 to know they are reliable. I have no knowledge of the auto's. The Robertson's are good people and are marketing their products successfully and that is a good thing. If I had their business, I would slap my name on anything that would make money.
publius
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:00 am

publius wrote:... I would slap my name on anything that would make money.

Hmmmmm...sounds a bit like the world's oldest profession. :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby GeeLeDouche » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:02 am

I have only owned a few mossbergs,, I have consider them as a "workin mans" shotgun. They are simply designed, made to work, and reasonably priced. Look at that maverick model 88.. I have a huntin buddy who shoots one that he bought at a pawn shop for like 75 bucks with a synthetic stock.. hasn't given him a ounce of problems. They do have their place, that's all Im sayin. I say good on Mossberg and the DC group! hopefully it can be a mutually fruitful relationship.

The Gee
I AM COMMADEERING THIS AIRBOAT!
GeeLeDouche
hunter

Postby bickford » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:07 am

What Willie Robertson shoots has no affect on how many ducks I shoot. It is crazy that people care about this. It's America, people like to make money and that's what they're doing
bickford
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:32 pm

z51 wrote:
BonzaiDuck227 wrote:Off topic but anyone think the DC boys use non DC calls off camera?

Don't know but if they want to make ducky sounds there are many many better calls. My prayer is everyone switches to DC calls.

A lot more has to do with the caller then the call. A guy I know can work wonders with a Yetsen Shur shot.In my hands it sounds more Kazoo then Mallard. Two of my favorites are a original Duck Commander and a MallardTone for finish work and a acryic for long range work. The rest just kinda sit on a shelf
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:30 pm

Ned is back? This forum is cool again.
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:Bad news new guy, once WTN has accepted you, you are automatically a world renown douche.
WTN10
hunter

Postby ShotGunEd » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:29 pm

My wife found these at WallyWorld
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375673394.918084.jpg
It's a good day for ducks to die...
ShotGunEd
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:03 pm

will be interesting to see what shotguns they actually put their name on. They need to be a lot better than the current Mossy line up
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:25 pm

buckmeister wrote:will be interesting to see what shotguns they actually put their name on. They need to be a lot better than the current Mossy line up

I have extensively shot an 835 and a 935. They out pattern all my guns except 4% less than my two Hastings barrel on 1100's. The Mossberg 935 shoots everything I have tested 100 fps faster the recipe calls for. It will shoot any 2 3/4 recipe as long as it is going 1550 fps in cluding the 7/8 oz loads. The 7/8 oz load with B's is one of my favorite. The one I use runs 1865 fps. Never had a problem with either the 835 and 935 except the 835 beat heck out of me. Ned S the young 84 yr old.
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:00 pm

Jon Bergren wrote:
buckmeister wrote:will be interesting to see what shotguns they actually put their name on. They need to be a lot better than the current Mossy line up

I have extensively shot an 835 and a 935. They out pattern all my guns except 4% less than my two Hastings barrel on 1100's. The Mossberg 935 shoots everything I have tested 100 fps faster the recipe calls for. It will shoot any 2 3/4 recipe as long as it is going 1550 fps in cluding the 7/8 oz loads. The 7/8 oz load with B's is one of my favorite. The one I use runs 1865 fps. Never had a problem with either the 835 and 935 except the 835 beat heck out of me. Ned S the young 84 yr old.

YES, WE KNOW...
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:

"Parents aren't the only ones who raise you, there's still public school and DHC"
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:38 pm

:lol: :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby The Drake » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:05 pm

Over and over and over......Damn its like a broken record
The Drake
hunter

Postby WalpoleTed » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:07 am

I spend much more time upland hunting than waterfowl hunting, and knowing how the upland hunter numbers have dwindled and now threaten the sport I love so much, I would give anything to have characters with mass market appeal like the Duck Commander guys drumming up PR for upland hunting. Duck hunting seems to be "hot" right now (which I know comes with its own issues - just ask anyone who was fly-fishing when "a River Runs Through It" came out).

I can't imagine serious duck hunters caring about these guys endorsing anything (some of the comments here have been hilarious), but if they introduce new people to duck hunting and then those people migrate to better equipment and conservation activity, it's a win win. Plus, my kids like the show. :-)
WalpoleTed
hunter

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:45 am

DuckManClyde wrote:I don't think we should let the marketing aspect get in the way of what the D.C.s really are. True american entrepreneurs, who love to hunt. I'm sure with the popularity of the show, other places are begging for the D.C. name on their products. And honestly, who wouldn't love some more cash? These guys are living the american dream, and i don't think signing with mossberg is such a bad idea, Turkey Thugs did the same thing. ( granted most ppl never heard/watched them). Even though there are better brands, not a bad move at all in my opinion.

This is so very true. Money is money and I would love to be sponsered and receive free hunting stuff.
I'm not good enough for my own hunting show though I would love to get paid to go hunting or fishing.
If you don't like it don't watch the show. I think the show is funny and entertaining and it relates to one of my favorite hobbies hunting.
I hope the mossbergs work well for them.
I also hope this brings more people into the hunting or shooting sports.
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Postby Lefty Ray » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:57 pm

It is a Walmart thing. Phil got started selling to individual stores and created enough demand to then sell through the corporate purchasing system. Mosburg sells through Walmart already so any DC labeled gun will get huge exposure and big sales just by sending one gun to each Walmart in America.
Lefty Ray
I shoot a Benelli SuperNova, Franci Affinity, and a Canon 7D

Freelance Outdoor Photographer
No Blind is Too Cold, Too Crowded, or Too Far
Lefty Ray
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:25 pm

I don't see what the big deal is. Before, they were blowing $20 duck calls and shooting $1600 shotguns. They do sell a few high dollar calls but for the most part, switching over to a $500 "every mans shotgun" seems to be more in line with the price point of the products they sell.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Bodycamp13 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:03 pm

I had a 935. I never had a single jam out of it. It patterned well and pointed well. I actually wish I still had it.

I still have my 20ga 500 that I started with.

In my opinion, Mossberg quality is as good today as 20-30 years ago and the price isn't much higher. A lot of people can do a lot with Mossberg guns and have money left over.

I am tired of seeing Duck Dynasty everywhere but I don't blame them...even my kid now has an Uncle Si shirt.

I really like Si. Hilarious.
Larry
aka Bodycamp13
Beretta 682 Gold with 31" barrels
Bodycamp13
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:12 pm

anybody know when they will actually have some guns to look at? They said fall but they had better hurry, teal season is close.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby TrapperRob » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:51 pm

I'm considering buying one, just to piss off the haters. I'll give it to my wife as a birthday present. She loves duck dynasty!!!
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby DuckmanOK » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:03 pm

TrapperRob wrote:I'm considering buying one, just to piss off the haters. I'll give it to my wife as a birthday present. She loves duck dynasty!!!

Hey not a bad idea. Here yo go wife !

But reality, I now have another gun!!! :-). Can't have too many
DuckmanOK
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:15 am

ShotGunEd wrote:My wife found these at WallyWorld

well you can buy mickey mouse and donald duck ones so why not????
good on them, if they make 10 cents per box sold good on them some more :thumbsup:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby z51 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:47 am

ShotGunEd wrote:My wife found these at WallyWorld

I would much rather use their bandaids than one of their two bit calls!
z51
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:56 am

Bodycamp13 wrote:I had a 935. I never had a single jam out of it. I actually wish I still had it.

Then why don't you still have it?

The reasons the Robertsons went with Mossberg are probably many, but you can bet the main reason is that A. O. Mossberg and Sons sent a lawyer to them saying "We'll pay you X amount (probably XXX,XXX amount) to endorse our product."

Not a bad reason.
mudpack
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum