Baikal MP 153 Factory Setting Marks

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Baikal MP 153 Factory Setting Marks

Postby snapshotmd » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:24 pm

While I was doing the 100 round break in on my MP153, the recoil spring got jacked up. It jams everytime now and I have to pry the recoil spring out from under the action bar sleeve.

On other forums, the indication is the gas adjustment is set too low; that the action was cycling too fast for the spring. I found the gas adjustment nut in between marks that indicates "fowl" play :lol3: . The instruction manual says there should be a mark showing where the factory setting should be, but I'm confused which marking is what? So the question is which is the factory setting; A or B?

2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Re: Baikal MP 153 Factory Setting Marks

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:14 am

The mark just goes in that notch. For heavier loads you turn it out (the direction of heavy) a turn or two and for light loads you turn it in. you can pull the manual off EAA's site or from the Remington site. you need to turn it towards heave probably a few turns if it is jamming the spring up that good.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rob MacK » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:33 am

The advice you have so far is correct as far as I am concerned. I have two of them both are set a bit different. When she sticks like that she is set too low. I would take it to the heavy side 3/4 of a turn providing you are with in the adjustment tolarances which to me looks like you are from the pic you sent. She will be fine.

Rob
Baikal-MP-153.....The other, other "B" gun.
Rob MacK
hunter

Postby Thax » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:03 pm

Had the same thing happen to me. Bought a new spring and turned the gas nut out 2 turns. Been fine ever since.
Thax
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:29 pm

How long did it take to get the new spring after ordering it?
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby Thax » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:25 am

Ordered it from EAA Corp for about 10 bucks 5 or 6yrs ago. Came from Florida to Oregon in less than a week. Good gun, mainly use as a back-up now but for 3 seasons I used it hard. The factory XFull choke worked best for me on ducks and geese as they seem to be more open then other chokes. Scored the gun for 300.00 at the time and I can't think of a better gun for the $$.
Thax
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:26 pm

I got the new recoil spring yesterday and went out today to shoot some skeet with it. From all the good things I’ve heard about this gun, I’m very disappointed. The gun failed to feed with the 1-oz loads that everyone says it cycles. It shoots the 1-1/8 oz loads great so I figured that maybe I didn’t break it in all the way. I only shot 86 hunting rounds; 50 rounds of 3-1/2” 1-3/8 oz and 36 rounds of 3” 1-1/4 oz. Then I decided to turn the gas adjustment nut so that I could shoot the 1 oz loads. I bottomed out the nut and the 1 oz loads still jammed the gun. It was like the cycling didn’t change; it jammed the same way. Then I turned it the other way so that the nut became flush with the end of the cylinder. Same result.

And now the good part. While I was testing the cycling of the 1oz, I emptied the chamber and noticed a light firing pin dent in the primer! Slam fire central!

Question: How does the gas adjustment work? I noticed the collar with the gas holes doesn’t move at all. The only noticeable thing is the spring gets depressed.
Last edited by snapshotmd on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:48 am

They operate by gas pressure so If the 1 ounce rounds your using do not generate enough pressure it will not operate. you should NEVER bottom out the adjustment nut. It should be turned in no farther than flush with the bottom of the notch and no farther out than flush with the top. what 1 oz loads are you shooting? are they over 1200 fps? if they are they should work at least they did in mine with a 28" barrel. lighter loads would not work in it but I would not expect them to anyway.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby snapshotmd » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:07 pm

These were 1 oz Gun Clubs going at 1185 fps. I tried turning the nut only 1 turn, but no improvement. Then I went for broke and bottomed it out.

So does your's shoot the 1 oz with no adjustment?
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:43 pm

I no longer have it but it would NOT cycle 1 oz without adjusting it as I usually kept it adjusted for 3.5" and it would not cycle the 1180fps loads in 1 oz, only in 1-1/8 oz it would cycle the 1250fps 1 oz loads. :thumbsup:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby snapshotmd » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:19 pm

Just to let you know what I'm talking about, the image below shows a shell with a light firing pin mark by just merely chambering a shell. I did not pull the trigger on it! The inertia of the bolt moving forward caused the firing pin to strike the primer. I would really hate to see this thing go full auto with 3" shells without the plug. This is not a one time thing since I can reproduce it.

2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby goosepit2007 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:43 pm

i have mine turned out to were you can see one thread above the side cut outs about 1/16 from the top. it kicks the factory 7/8oz lead loads loads out with no problem.
throws the hulls out about 3 feet, i might turn it little more back to light side but, it works fine for all my steel loads. throws them right out and i do not plan on shooting lead (light loads) through it any ways. just tried it one time after i went through breakin period and i cranked it out to were it is at know. works for me. i have over 1000 rounds of steel through it.
all were 2 3/4 with few 3" 1 1/4 bb's through it so far.
goosepit2007
hunter

Postby inthebox30lbs » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:57 am

I have had several Mp153's and they are all a tad different as far as the setting goes. I will say my current one will not run the 1oz trap loads consistently. 1 1/8th loads all day long. This is on the factory setting. However its only on about 300 rounds. As the parts smooth out and the action spring weakens it should on the factory setting shoot 1 oz loads. Snapshot sounds like your gun needs to be shot more with heavier loads. As far as the primer dent, I have seen it when the action springs were new, or a brand new gun. Call EAA and ask to speak to a gunsmith. THey have been very helpful when I needed them in the past
scott
inthebox30lbs
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:53 pm

inthebox30lbs wrote:I have had several Mp153's and they are all a tad different as far as the setting goes. I will say my current one will not run the 1oz trap loads consistently. 1 1/8th loads all day long. This is on the factory setting. However its only on about 300 rounds. As the parts smooth out and the action spring weakens it should on the factory setting shoot 1 oz loads. Snapshot sounds like your gun needs to be shot more with heavier loads. As far as the primer dent, I have seen it when the action springs were new, or a brand new gun. Call EAA and ask to speak to a gunsmith. THey have been very helpful when I needed them in the past
scott

So what you're saying is "shut-up and shoot the hell out of it! Nothing's wrong with it!" :smile:
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum