Building a Lay out blind

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Building a Lay out blind

Postby WAQuacker » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:39 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to duck hunting and I want to build my own lay out blind on the cheap.

I am planning on using some camoflauge burlap materials to cover a PVC or tomato stick frame. I am going to be hiking in quite a ways so I want it to be light and easy to set up/ break down.

I'm looking for Idea's or pointers to help me out.

I figure I can make the thing so it breaks down and I can attach it to my pack.

All cad work done with MS paint. If you want some awesome custom CAD work PM me for a good price. lol
Attachments
Lay out duck blind.jpg
"To become old and wise, I have to get through this young and dumb phase."

US Navy ET2(SW)
WAQuacker
hunter

Re: Building a Lay out blind

Postby Honk-n-quack » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Here is how I built mine. Take PVC and make two rectangles 2ft tall and 5 ft long. Put two of the long sides togeter at about a 20- 30 degree angle and and drill some holes and put pins through them. The pins allow you to break it down easier for transport. Then cover it in burlap or camo material of your choice, make sure there is a hole for your eyes or some type of mesh you can see through. You should be able to lay underneath it. What you do is you lay underneath it and when you see birds in the distance just slide it up over your head, and when you shoot just grab the side and toss it over you to the side as you get up to shoot. This should be alot more lower of a profile of your layout blind plan and lighter/easier to transport. Hope this helps :thumbsup:
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby IowaWaterfowler10 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:16 pm

I tried. Just spend the $100 on a factory one without a frame or buy an edge gear down blind. Probably save you money in the long run.
IowaWaterfowler10
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:42 pm

my son bought a used FA brand layout blind with a waterproof bag (which he lays down first) and a snow cover for $75 bucks i don't know if you can build one cheaper than that :no:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby WAQuacker » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:04 pm

I've got PVC and every connection you can think of at my disposal. All I need to buy is burlap. It really shouldn't cost me more than 40 bucks total. Plus I like tinkering with stuff.
"To become old and wise, I have to get through this young and dumb phase."

US Navy ET2(SW)
WAQuacker
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting