Quota Hunting Experiences..Good/Bad??

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, Ichabod97, fowl mouth, callncut

Quota Hunting Experiences..Good/Bad??

Postby cut_un » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:11 am

Wondering what is your take on the Quote Hunting Experience here in VA. Thinking about applying for a few of the spring turkey hunts,hoping to simply hunt more areas of our state. Hope to hear if anyone has ...been there/done that :yes:

My experiences are ,thus far,waterfowl related. Took me a 5th year of applying for a Swan tag but was lucky enough to be selected and also lucky enough to mark the Tundra Swan off my bucket list this past season! I've only hunted Dutch Gap and Hog Island within the Quota system and while it's not the perfect place,have never been skunked while at either,can't say that about some of the "public waters" I've set up in on any given morning :oops: Guess, for me.... would be a :thumbsup: with the system,as a whole...WHAT SAY YOU?
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Re: Quota Hunting Experiences..Good/Bad??

Postby Duck Diver » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:10 pm

I can't say, they took my money and said try again next year.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:39 pm

Duck Diver wrote:I can't say, they took my money and said try again next year.

Man that could ehco across the land right there and the sad part is the money go to NY where it is spent for a couputer to not pull your name out of the pile . Sorry but the door was open !!!
I have had a lot of good hunts at PA and Hog island on the old system when dgif had people working the managements , most all that showed up for the draw got a spot . The Impoundments were alive and all one needed was a gun and a pair of boots , a boat and decoys was at the blind waiting ready . I didn't send any money North either, But all good things have to come to an end and the last quota hunt I won had me in a corner half*** blind with a deep hole in front , no boat or coys and no food growing to draw the birds to the spot .
Anyway someone said in another thread that if you don't want to waste your money don't put in for the hunts , I like that and I'll miss hunting swan and won't miss driving 2 hours for a hunt like above .

:sad: LD :no:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Islander Gunner » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:03 am

Most of my experiences have been good ones on the quota hunts, other than the episode I had mentioned before. I remember many years ago,we were hunting down on Barbours Hill on a lottery hunt and the blind we picked was right on the shore in Back Bay. We had some mallards come in, we knocked down two and another one sailed a couple hundred yards offshore (too far to be out in the jon boat with the wind blowing like it was). There was a big water blind about 600 yards out in Back Bay rigged for snow geese, would you believe the guy in the blind went out after the cripple, shot twice and then brought the bird back to our blind. Said he saw the birds decoy and followed the cripple along the wave tops with his binoculars. That right there is what separates waterfowlers from other sportsman...we are a breed apart and above the others! :thumbsup:
We're not down here in the blind playing baby house!
Islander Gunner
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:13 am

Nice to hear something leaning on the positive side :bow:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:23 pm

The lottery hunts suck as they stand right now. I had a meeting a couple of years ago with Bob Ellis from the DGIF over several issues including the lottery hunt system. The amount of money the DGIF gives away to a vendor in New York is crazy. If you do the quick math on the entire lottery system, you will see a very large sum of money that could be used right here in Virginia. (After they changed the law on what to do with revenue generated to keep it out of the hands of other departments) There are several thousand applicants for the swans hunt alone. TIMES $7.50 each equaled about $10k for just the swan hunt last season. Then you add in Hog Island, Back Bay Impoundments, Back Bay float hunts, Deer hunts, bear hunts, rabbit hunts etc. You see a huge pile of money starting to build. With the money, the DGIF could hire two full time administrators (for the entire year), buy a random number generator program and still have money left over for added benefits to the commonwealth. The lottery suck and it is here to stay unfortunately.

The way the waterfowl hunts are run poorly. Why do they only allow only one day of hunting on the Back Bay and Hog Island Impoundments? If you take the number of Saturdays (It used to be Wednesdays at Back Bay until I asked them to change it) in the season and multiply it by four (the number of hunters selected for the day) you end up with forty four hunters selected for the entire season at Back Bay. I think it was eleven days available to hunt. I say that is not nearly enough hunts days for these areas and scientific surveys have proven, hunting more than one day per week does not hurt the population. NOT PLANTING A VIABLE FOOD SOURCE OR PUTTING WATER IN THE IMPOUNDMENTS DOES THAT. Last season, there was once again no water in the WATERFOWL impoundments. The State waits until the weekend before to send resources to the area to begin flooding and there is a stiff north wind blowing....ahah....no water to be found in the ditches leading from the bay.

As for the floating blind hunts on Back Bay, why can’t the DGIF issue a hunter a single number for the entire year? Many states use this method with success. Simply give the person a single number they drop in a hat when they arrive and have someone draw out the numbered tags to get the blind for the day. Then hang your number on the board and when you are done hunting, remove it from the board. (A built in safety check system) When you sign in to put your name in the hat, all members in your party are required to sign in too. (No double dipping) One tag in the hat per hunting party and there are no exceptions. Also add you boat id number. That system was way too complicated for the state to implement. They say there will be cheating. Sort of like having everyone you know draw for numbers and drag them hunting. This is why we now have numbers into the six hundreds when the high numbers were in the two hundreds three seasons ago. My sons are guest, not hunters, so they do not get numbers. This year they will. Last season, I had two numbers under 100 as did many of my friends and hunting partners. We draw for blinds each day so this method is no different than the system in place except not know you have a certain number for a specific date. All the guys who seem to always get number one, two or three will be upset. Every season the DGIF screws the system up somehow. Two seasons ago, some members were dropped out for the Jr. Sr. name thing and they were not allow to get numbers as they were all drawn and sent out to applicants. Others were dropped out due to using one email address or one credit card. If they went to a single number for the entire season, they could issue a new number at any time due to clerical errors. FYI, the DGIF employees gave up their numbers selected in the lottery system to give to non-DGIF employees due to several mishaps in the system. That was not fair to ask of them because many of the guys who gave up their numbers, we not allowed to hunt. It was a voluntary thing however.

I do not have an opinion on the hog, deer, turkey, squirrel, rabbit, or quail hunts as I do not put in for those. I imagine they are run pretty smooth as they are completely different than waterfowl hunts.

I'm off my soapbox now.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:51 pm

EVEN BETTER...A FREE RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR WEBSITE!

http://graphpad.com/quickcalcs/randomN1.cfm
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:05 pm

The last numbers I've seen were that the swan applicants were down to less than 1,000 per year. Something like 850 or 900 applicants for 700 or 750 tags, which would be in line with how easy it is to get drawn. I think the number of swan applicants was double that back a decade ago, but most folks have had their fill.

Anyone got the official numbers from both periods?
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby kahunna » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:38 pm

The regs say there are 600 swan tags sold.
kahunna
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:23 pm

I have been told many times 600 for Va with about 250 being filled .

:sad: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Ichabod97 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:12 pm

You really don't want to get me started on VA's quota hunt system. I have had some ok hunts with the few i have won.

The biggest issue i have with the system is that you pay to apply whether you win or not. That is DGIF just plain old being greedy. FL went through a big overhaul on their quota hunt system a couple years ago that made it a little more fair. The great thing they have going over VA is that you do not have to pay for your applications. There are only a handful of places that you have to pay IF you do win a quota hunt there. Heck most of the places are FREE to apply and hunt if awarded a quota hunt. The two closest waterfowl WMA's to me are daily quota hunt...so first come, first served for that day.

Anyways...i will stop there, but VA could learn a lot about setting up their system by studying what other states are doing. But i understand...trying to get stuff changed in VA is virtually impossible because they are so set in their ways and rules that are wayyyyyyyy outdated.

Rant over. :mad:
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia

Modified Scissor Blind ppt

imaduckin up north wrote:There aint no ducks in VA
Ichabod97
State Moderator

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting