Versamax or super black eagle II

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Versamax or super black eagle II

Postby ColeW » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:08 pm

I want to buy a new gun for this season and I want to hear some thoughts on the two. Which is the better all around gun they're close in price so that's not the deciding factor. I would like to hear any comments about the two.
ColeW
Newb

Re: Versamax or super black eagle II

Postby mawtrfowler » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:36 pm

I can't speak much for the versamax as i havent had a chance to shoot one but i have handled one. The SBE is lighter than the versamax. I prefer an Inertia operated semi like the SBE over a gas gun like the versamax because they're lighter, more reliable and easier clean. I shoot a Vinci and three of my hunting partners have SBE and we've never had any problems. After maybe 5 years of not being cleaned and hunting hard my friends SBE was gunked up enough to not cycle target loads which speaks to the reliability of the inertia system.
The best advice is go to a gun store and compare them side by side to see which one you prefer.
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:18 pm

Love my Versamax. Haven't had the least bit of trouble out of it and it shoots like a dream. I prefer gas when shooting autos due to the reduced recoil and was brought up on 1100's and Wingmasters so I had to give the American made VM a try. I've shot plenty of SBE's and Nova's and I just don't see what all the fuss is about with Benelli. Not trying to ruffle any feathers and I hunt with a fella that swears by em, but there just not my cup of tea. As far as no difference in price you might wanna check up on that. My advise would be to go shoulder and shoot if possible a few of each and the decision should be much easier. :thumbsup:
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby cannon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:24 pm

I have both. I prefer the versimax. Benelli makes fine guns. I simply prefer the weight, feel, and recoil of the Remington. Haven't had it long enough to make an informed judgment regarding long-term reliability.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby cootlover » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:22 pm

I have SBE I got back in 1994 up until last year I have had two jams not bad for that many seasons. I was told it needs a new recoil spring and I have shot the hell out of it but I don't think the newer was are that reliable. I like how the versaxmax feels but don't think there made as good SBE so shoulder both and buy what you like best.
cootlover
hunter

Postby The Drake » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:09 pm

Shot benellis for 11 years. Bought a versamx and really like it. Simple to clean, much much less recoil.
The Drake
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:46 pm

SBEII...... have a 11-87 my best friend for years but the benelli points so well and becomes weight less once you point it SWEET :grooving: just got it can't wait for doves!!!
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby geordie tom » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:04 pm

I have been a benneli owner for close to 20years then i saw and shot a versamax that was enough i knew i had to get one, its been fantastic so far i prefer it to any other semi auto out there at the moment.
geordie tom
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:06 am

My recommendation: Buy and use both of them and when you finally decide what in your opinion is the best for YOU then just sell the other one.
You'll never be able to say that you should have bought this or that then.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby cannon » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:01 am

lostknife4 wrote:My recommendation: Buy and use both of them and when you finally decide what in your opinion is the best for YOU then just sell the other one.
Lost

I like this train of thought. The guy that dies with the most wins. :lol3:
cannon
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:59 pm

lostknife4 wrote:My recommendation: Buy and use both of them and when you finally decide what in your opinion is the best for YOU then just sell the other one.
Lost

Having had both models, am betting the SBEII goes to a new owner the first time he torches off a 3 1/2" round in it. :wink:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:
Lost

Having had both models, am betting the SBEII goes to a new owner the first time he torches off a 3 1/2" round in it. :wink:

I agree but then all I ever shoot is 2-3/4" TSS and some 1 oz Steel in mine LOL, 3-1/2" is what I have a 10 ga for.
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:35 am

geordie tom wrote:I have been a benneli owner for close to 20years then i saw and shot a versamax that was enough i knew i had to get one, its been fantastic so far i prefer it to any other semi auto out there at the moment.

I never needed a reason to buy a new gun or anything else for that matter. If I wanted anything I just bought it, no justification
needed. Tell her you are buying it for her.............. LOL
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Goosebuster72 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:03 pm

lostknife4 wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:
Lost

I agree but then all I ever shoot is 2-3/4" TSS and some 1 oz Steel in mine LOL, 3-1/2" is what I have a 10 ga for.
Lost

Well said.. That's also what I have a 10gfor
Goosebuster72
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:24 pm

The SBE is the proven design. No way I would buy anything from Remington at the moment, except their ammo. Even my rechargeable dehumidifier from them wouldn't work worth a darn. Got an eva-dry from Rogers and now the humidity stays at 49%.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby NW Birdhunter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:52 pm

My vote is for the Versamax. Any load. Anywhere. Every time. It won't scramble your brains or sprain your wrist during prolonged shooting or while using heavy waterfowl loads. :yes:
Forget the past, the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
NW Birdhunter
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:49 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:The SBE is the proven design. No way I would buy anything from Remington at the moment, except their ammo. Even my rechargeable dehumidifier from them wouldn't work worth a darn. Got an eva-dry from Rogers and now the humidity stays at 49%.

While I can't disagree with your assertion of the SBE being a "proven" design, because there is no doubt it is. You are living in the past discounting the VM as an at minimum "reliable" design, especially considering it's short life time thus far. Since it's introduction in Aug of 2010 it has had very few issues, most notable the magazine cap issue with early models which was covered by Rem at no cost to the owner. Other than that the gun has had quite a track record of rave reviews by multiple respected publications and for the time frame, has developed quite a loyal following. Just do some research on SGW, Guns and Ammo, Outdoor Life, etc. Some consider Remington "not what it used to be" but I consider Rem to be more in a transitional phase. After all they have been producing the same 870 design for 62 years to the tune of over 10 million! There is bound to be a lull in QC in that amount of time, especially when the brand is so focused on research and development of new designs. I love the old 1100s and Wingmasters as much as anyone and own a "few" myself but everything changes. I challenge anyone who has not shouldered/shot a Versamax to go give one a try. My experience has been flawless. As far as your dehumidifier.. I didn't know Rem was in the dehumidifier business but I do know they're in the firearm business and there's a reason for that. When you go to a steak house, I recommend you get the steak. :thumbsup:
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:49 am

I bought the v-max sportsman a couple months ago. My 1st autoloader. Probly shot about 3 boxes thru it so far. Sweet gun, fits me good, light-weight. Everybody that Ive let shoot it so far loves it. Taking it to the range today to give it a workout, will see how it does.
Boocephus
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:09 am

Well, there you have it.

Plenty of guys are recommending the Benelli, and equal number recommend the Remington. I don't see how you can possibly go wrong with either one.

As for myself, I've shot a friend's SBE and don't care for it's weight/feel. I much prefer the Golds, 11-87's, Xtrema2s and other, more "organic-feeling" guns that seem more natural in my hands. My buddy sure likes his SBE, though, and I can hardly fault his shooting with it.

I like lost's idea of buying both. Then, if you decide to sell the Remington, PM me.....I'd like first chance at it. :biggrin: (IF it's in camo)
mudpack
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:33 am

I have to do some further testing but the issue I had with initial testing was how must their gas system drops the velocity of the shot. Apparently all that lower recoil comes from about 100fps less velocity at the muzzle in comparison to my Benelli's. All the Gas auto loaders loose a bit of velocity (in my testing) compared to the O/U's and Benellis I have tested but the VM had the highest loss in velocity. I do like the lower recoil when out on the sporting Clays field as I can really feel the SBE II after 100 rounds in a T shirt. But when hunting and I blow thru a box of 3.5" mags I never notice the recoil at all :yes:

Both guns fit me well but the VM just feels too big and bulky and a bit front heavy. I like the thin forend of the Benelli as it feels more like my O/U's

I have not had any issues with Benelli but have had a lot of Remington issues in the past so I will see how the VM holds up.

You should get a lot of shooting out of either one you choose.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cootlover » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:47 pm

The extrema feels like a 2x8 with a trigger :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:09 pm

BurninPowder wrote:You are living in the past discounting the VM as an at minimum "reliable" design, especially considering it's short life time thus far. Since it's introduction in Aug of 2010 it has had very few issues, most notable the magazine cap issue with early models which was covered by Rem at no cost to the owner.

it should be reliable, The gas system and bolt were copied from Benelli :yes:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BurninPowder » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:19 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:
BurninPowder wrote:You are living in the past discounting the VM as an at minimum "reliable" design, especially considering it's short life time thus far. Since it's introduction in Aug of 2010 it has had very few issues, most notable the magazine cap issue with early models which was covered by Rem at no cost to the owner.

Gas System? If I'm not mistaken the SBE is an inertia operated action... ie. No "gas system" Pretty hard to copy something that's not there. The gas system on the VM is the FIRST and only to my knowledge, to regulate cycling pressures directly from the length of shell being used, using several sets of ports inside the chamber. As for the bolt, no copy there either just try to interchange some parts, you will be disappointed. This sounds like some of the common misconceptions spouted around the internet. Many people automatically assume that because some of the "looks" and external operation of the VM are similar to the SBE, that they are the same gun. They are not. Again not trying to say that the SBE is a bad gun, because it has no doubt earned it's take but after shooting both I simply prefer the VM.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby cannon » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:37 pm

BurninPowder wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:

Gas System? If I'm not mistaken the SBE is an inertia operated action... ie. No "gas system" Pretty hard to copy something that's not there. The gas system on the VM is the FIRST and only to my knowledge, to regulate cycling pressures directly from the length of shell being used, using several sets of ports inside the chamber. As for the bolt, no copy there either just try to interchange some parts, you will be disappointed. This sounds like some of the common misconceptions spouted around the internet. Many people automatically assume that because some of the "looks" and external operation of the VM are similar to the SBE, that they are the same gun. They are not. Again not trying to say that the SBE is a bad gun, because it has no doubt earned it's take but after shooting both I simply prefer the VM.

I think he was alluding to the M4. Benelli makes gas guns too. And the design of the VM certainly is close. On the other hand, almost every production gas gun stole design elements from the 1100 or the 390. And benellis "inertia driven" platform certainly owes some of its features to the classic A5. Building on the designs of outstanding products is certainly a tradition, both here & abroad.
cannon
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:58 pm

cannon wrote:
BurninPowder wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:

I think he was alluding to the M4. Benelli makes gas guns too. And the design of the VM certainly is close. On the other hand, almost every production gas gun stole design elements from the 1100 or the 390. And benellis "inertia driven" platform certainly owes some of its features to the classic A5. Building on the designs of outstanding products is certainly a tradition, both here & abroad.

I digress... I read that as SBE not Benelli because the original gun mentioned by the OP was the SBE. My apologies. :bow: Who could forget ARGO :clapping: In all this duck gun chatter of SBEs M2s and Novas the M4 slipped my mind. No doubt a resemblance there.
BurninPowder
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum