best marsh seat?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

best marsh seat?

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:31 am

Which one do you guys recommend for a muddy bottom?
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Re: best marsh seat?

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:40 pm

I got the mojo one for 40 bucks I think from Walmart. Added a padding to it. Works like a champ
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:37 pm

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:I got the mojo one for 40 bucks I think from Walmart. Added a padding to it. Works like a champ

Walmart eh? Cool thanks for the tip
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby devlou77 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:04 pm

I've got the avery one and I liked it, gotta lean forward just a bit, but overall it was excellent for where I hunt
devlou77
hunter

Postby Quack Wacker NC » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:25 pm

I like the cabelas high Back chair deluxe I think it's called, it's like a dove stool but the seat is 25" tall so when it sinks a little the mud ur sitting bout 20" high and it has a back rest, think there round 40 bucks
Quack Wacker NC
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:56 pm

Avery. its light and small so that makes it easy to pack in. the feet do a fair job of holding the seat upright in soupy mud if you get it semi set up and give a coupple good plop downs on the seat to sink it in.

I would avoid the Banded seat. Its steel not aluminum like the Avery so its heavy, and can rust much faster. its a lot louder and clanky than the Avery and is more wobbly. Just comparing the two true marsh seats I have used vs. dove seats/ stools.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:29 am

I saw a post on a previous marsh stool post, where the guy actually made and sold them but I think he ran out on DHC lol
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby BDK » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:04 pm

I have the Avery . Its nice easy to carry I bought it cause it was on sale . Works good just need some extra padding for those long days.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
BDK
hunter

Postby QuackkAddictsTX » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:10 pm

I actually make them. About $50-$130 depending on what seat the person wants on it. I'll see if I can post a picture of them later. The only bad thing about them is they are fairly heavy.
When times are tough and flocks are small, just take your time and kill them all.
QuackkAddictsTX
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Make your own for $10-$20 depending on how deluxe you want it. Galvanized 1" pipe with a flange and a 1"x8" board then I glue 2" thick blue foam on top or on the deluxe model get bulk camo nylon stretch it and staple it over the foam on the wood plank then screw it on the flange. On the main pipe thread on a T or 4 way cross fitting with a 4" nipple this will keep it from continuing to sink in the mud. Super strong and like $8 bucks on the cheap or $20 if you buy a swivel seat and get real crazy with it. Either way beats the heck out of a chincy $50 marsh seat.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:40 pm

5 gallon bucket or a plastic recycle basket works for me....................

price is right.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:44 am

Normmcclean wrote:Make your own for $10-$20 depending on how deluxe you want it. Galvanized 1" pipe with a flange and a 1"x8" board then I glue 2" thick blue foam on top or on the deluxe model get bulk camo nylon stretch it and staple it over the foam on the wood plank then screw it on the flange. On the main pipe thread on a T or 4 way cross fitting with a 4" nipple this will keep it from continuing to sink in the mud. Super strong and like $8 bucks on the cheap or $20 if you buy a swivel seat and get real crazy with it. Either way beats the heck out of a chincy $50 marsh seat.

I've never dealt with galvanized pipe. Can I get it at home depot? Thanks for the help too
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:39 am

Home depot has it and they will cut the pipe and thread it for you. For $20 you can make 2-3 stools. 30-36 inches seems to work well. Thread on the T or cross fitting 10" up from the bottom. Pipe will sink down to the T and have a 4" nipple of short piece of pipe out to the side. Thread on a flange which is a round flat plate on top end of pipe. This should have 4 screw holes in it so you can connect the board. My card reader at home is messed up but when I get to work I can send you a picture. I have my personal one set up with a padded sling for carrying. I am 300# and the 1" pipe is very strong. If your smaller you could use 3/4" pipe and fittings for a light weight stool. Then just paint the pipe tan or gray. For a seat I buy the camo foam pads for tree stands. You can get 2 seat pads from 1. The Avery seat is OK but a little pricey for what you get my seat is more comfortable and I can use my seat to break 3" ice its so strong. Another nice feature I added to mine was a Velcro strap on top to strap my gun flat on the seat while I'm picking up a bird or moving decoys around so you don't have to worry about it falling off. Fun little project and its the best marsh seat you can buy and it was only $10 and you made it so its that much better. I have guys ask me about them every time I come out of the marsh.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:01 am

Here's one that's a little more elaborate than Norm's. Been making 'em for over 30 years now. Was in an earlier post that may give you some other ideas.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=593&hilit=Marsh+stool#p1839395
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby c14smalls » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:17 am

My Avery hasn't failed me yet
c14smalls
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:15 am

Thanks Norm, It cost mea bit more for materials but that might be due to the small town I live in. I'll work on it today and post some pics. Thanks for the advice all :beer:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:52 pm

Yeah I know what you mean my local hardware shop is twice the price of home depot and home depot is double the price of the wholesale plumbing supplier I get my materials from. Good luck let me know how it goes. Also a nice coat of urethane or paint on the wood seat will make the seat last a long time in wet conditions of the marsh
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby Frodo Bags'em » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:05 pm

Best Marsh seat?.....<$3 for all my duck hunting family, friends and fellow sportsmen.

I made mine from a 36" piece of 2"x4" and used a couple of 2"x6" stabilizers.
The seat itself is a 1"x8"x14" for a slim jim like myself.
Cut the 2"x4" post at the bottom on a 45 degree slant to stick in the mud.

Tack some old web strapping on it so you can sling it over your shoulder
and you're good to start stomping at 4:30 a.m. through some gosh-awful smelling swamp.

Now go spend your hard earned $ on some reloading equip to make superfast steel loads.

Mmmmmm.....I just love to smell that gosh-awful swamp smell in the fall & winter.

p.s. Find some mucky brown paint and slap a couple coats on it....you be the talk of the town!
Last edited by Frodo Bags'em on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frodo Bags'em
hunter

Postby NCSUhunter » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:47 am

Anybody else have any experience with the Banded seat? They are now stocking them at the local Bass Pro and I would have to order the Avery seat online. Like how the Banded has a back but if the quality isn't there then I would rather get an Avery.
NCSUhunter
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:22 am

NCSUhunter wrote:Anybody else have any experience with the Banded seat? They are now stocking them at the local Bass Pro and I would have to order the Avery seat online. Like how the Banded has a back but if the quality isn't there then I would rather get an Avery.

read my post, the Avery is a far better seat. the Banded has almost no cushion, steel not aluminum like the avery so its heavier and could rust easily, its very loosely put together so its loud, clanky and the feet wobble, its also just angle iron instead of a full square tube like the avery which is also why its so clanky. the avery is much easier to adjust height in the water as you have a tethered pin instead of a bolt and wing nut that the banded has. and the top of the banded stool doesnt fold flat for storage like the avery does, so the banded stool takes up more space.

Need I say more? could probably find some more flaws.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby NCSUhunter » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:43 pm

Well think that pretty much sums it up. Now to find out the cheapest place to order the Avery seat from.
NCSUhunter
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:30 pm

I just saw the new Cabela's northern flight seat! same post desgin as the Avery BUT it has a much thicker and butt shaped pad!

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Frodo Bags'em » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:56 pm

Behold.....the <$3 marsh seat.

And what's more...if you leave it in the bushes, no one will steal it!
Attachments
IMG_2127 copy.jpg
Frodo Bags'em
hunter

Postby Frodo Bags'em » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:15 pm

Fellow noble sportsmen.....

The cheap seat in action for your viewing pleasure
Attachments
IMG_1044.JPG
Frodo Bags'em
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:18 pm

Nice! LOL man your spot has ALOT of weeds, do you clear a spot for decoys?
wanapasaki
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum