RangeFinder for Flying Geese & Ducks?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

RangeFinder for Flying Geese & Ducks?

Postby oldbutnew » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:49 pm

Does anyone have any experience ranging flying Geese and Ducks with a laser rangefinder?

I'm looking to by one for this purpose, can anyone recommend a model?

When I'm fishing during the off season I have plenty of opportunities to work on learning to estimate distance better, if I can buy a rangefinder that will work on flying birds.

Thanks,

OldButNew
oldbutnew
hunter

Re: RangeFinder for Flying Geese & Ducks?

Postby tenfingergrip » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:32 am

I cannot imagine what good a rangefinder would do unless you are a birdwatcher and just want to know how far away they are. Since they are flying, it would be practically impossible to lock on the moving bird for an accurate reading anyway.

If you are hunting, just step off or pull a tape out to 40 yds (40 giant steps), put down a decoy(s) or marker(s) and don't shoot anything outside that distance and you'll be ok.

(Have I been punked?)
Last edited by tenfingergrip on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:34 am

tenfingergrip wrote:If you are hunting, just step off or pull a tape out to 40 yds (13 giant steps), put down a decoy(s) or marker(s) and don't shoot anything outside that distance and you'll be ok.

(Have I been punked?)

Yeah really. But just in case this is a genuine question, I have the Nikon Prostaff-3. I just check the distance of different objects with the RF while I'm waiting and set my kill perimeter. What ever enters the perimeter is shootable.
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby TXducksanddeer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:11 pm

Spend your money on something more useful like ammo
TXducksanddeer
hunter

Postby cONG » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:57 pm

What kind of ammo? :lol3:
The Simmons rangefinder are good for the price
cONG
hunter

Postby F250 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:25 am

I carry a Nikon 800 in my pack. I use it to double check the distance to the farthest decoy, whether I am hunting water or fields. We want to know where the 35 yard mark is, and set a certain decoy or other marker at that distance.
F250
hunter

Postby JWG » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:02 am

I've used the scan mode on my bushnell arc 1000 plenty of times. I thought the same thing, how the hell would you be able to get a reading off something moving? Geese flew over the treestand all day and it worked. Was actually kinda fun, helped pass the time!
JWG
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:56 pm

tenfingergrip wrote:I cannot imagine what good a rangefinder would do unless you are a birdwatcher and just want to know how far away they are. Since they are flying, it would be practically impossible to lock on the moving bird for an accurate reading anyway.

If you are hunting, just step off or pull a tape out to 40 yds (13 giant steps), put down a decoy(s) or marker(s) and don't shoot anything outside that distance and you'll be ok.

(Have I been punked?)

40yds= 13 steps??? :huh: thats just over 9FEET and 2inches per step to make 40 yards. sounds physically impossible to me.

I'd take 40 3ft steps, or walk 100ft and count steps. 100ft/ how many steps taken. get your distance traveled per step, mine is 2.56ft on a normal walking stride with work boots on and I'm 5ft 9" with a 32in inseam. then take normal steps that ad up to 120ft. (40yds)
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:36 am

Right, you're awake, 13 steps is 40 feet not yards. Glad you're in charge of the artihmetic.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby oldbutnew » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:04 pm

JWG,

Thanks for the reply.

I new there had to be someone out there that has tried this when they aren't hunting birds.

Some days fishing or hunting ducks in the fall (geese out of season) its a regular geese parade flying by and I wonder just how far they really are.

Plus if I have one of my buddies with me, we can bet on the distances.
oldbutnew
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:22 am

JWG wrote:I've used the scan mode on my bushnell arc 1000 plenty of times. I thought the same thing, how the hell would you be able to get a reading off something moving? Geese flew over the treestand all day and it worked. Was actually kinda fun, helped pass the time!

X2
Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum