Base Layer

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Base Layer

Postby apg36820 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:13 pm

I have been looking at the Cabelas E.C.W.C.S Thermal Zone base layer top and bottom. I have looked at it in the store many times and seems to be a well made product. One advantage is it has the Cabelas guarantee on its clothing. Has anyone used these in the field? what do yall think?
apg36820
hunter

Re: Base Layer

Postby Greenhead329 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:32 am

They are a very good and comfortable product. You will stay very warm. However that being said if you have to do any rowing/ walking/ physical activity prior to your hunting site they are TOO warm. ...You sweat too much (at least I do)...and the wicking ability is FAIR...
Spent two weeks in Alaska in february...and moving around in these, getting still, moving..wound up more times than not with my sweat froze to me.

If you have a long boat ride, and hunt in extreme cold, with not much protection from the elements these would be perfect.

However in my two weeks and subsequent stay in Idaho hunting, my favorite base layer became my merino wool layers...absolutely PERFECT for me. All of my spots required walking or paddling, followed with several hours of sitting...never got too hot or too cold, would occasionaly get a chill, but was by far the most comfortable and comparable to underarmor in wicking ability
Whoever says you can't buy happiness has obviously never owned a lab

?Dos Juevos???... Dos Juevos
Greenhead329
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum