first season

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

first season

Postby overunderwaterfowl » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:35 pm

I'll be starting my first season duck hunting this fall and im just looking for some pointers on finding ducks I plan on using a boat blind with decoys and some calls I plan on hunting around crown point ny and it's mostly mallards and black ducks around here any pointers are appreciated
overunderwaterfowl
hunter

Re: first season

Postby scruggs12 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:00 pm

Good luck! Re-post in the NY forum. Laws, regulations, etc. will vary state to state. Someone could tell you to bang away, live in FL, and get you in trouble. Also, be aware, duck hunting is a very secretive, cult like thing. People may not be very helpful. It sounds like you have what you need to get going, just scout, be familiar with your state regulations on where and when to hunt. Also, know what you are shooting.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby overunderwaterfowl » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:31 pm

I believe I know the laws I did alot of research online I just gotta get scouting thanks
overunderwaterfowl
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:18 pm

Google earth and a good pair of binoculars. Start around waterfowl refuges as a starting collection point for waterfowl. Concealment is king in waterfowl. I believe in taking more time to set up with sun and wind in the right directions I have been the last one to enter an area and the first one to leave many times just take the time to set up blind and decoys right. Makes the difference between working ducks all day and finishing birds and limits early.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby overunderwaterfowl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:59 pm

Thanks I really appreciate all the help
overunderwaterfowl
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting