I got the dog! but going to be new to Vancouver WA,

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr

I got the dog! but going to be new to Vancouver WA,

Postby Wingman509 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:53 am

I am currently in the process getting ready to move to Vancouver Washington. I have a 7 month old black lab retriever and he is already on his way to his first hunting titles. he has passes towards his Nahara started retriever title and a junior hunt pass towards his akc jh title. He is a hell of a dog for his age! we just started working on his handle and he is doing well. our problem is we are both rookiesin waterfowl hunting. not to mention we're going to be new to the Vancouver Washington area.I am going to go on Washington fishing games sites and start doing a little research. what public land is even near this location to hunt.? I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has any info to help a rookie in the area that would be greatly appreciated. I don't want anyone secret spots or anything like that I just want to know where a rookie should start scouting and researching?I have calls,a little 12 foot jon boat, decoys and a well trained dogs just need a little help shoving off from the shore! I am currently in Spokane Wa but will be moving by late August! :thumbsup: t
Wingman509
Newb

Re: I got the dog! but going to be new to Vancouver WA,

Postby Shade » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:59 am

Best place to start: WDFW.wa.gov/

Next best: www.huntwashingtonstate.com

Next best: www.google.com/maps followed by www.co.clark.wa.us/ followed by "parcel map" followed by drive time, door knocking, and foot miles.

Good Luck
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby TCFarmer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:17 pm

Lower Columbia Hunting Retriever Club
http://www.lowercolumbiahrc.org/
TCFarmer
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:59 am

Drop me a pm when you get here. I will take you out and show you some walk in areas. We can dove hunt while walking a few of them once season opens up. Look into applying at the Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge for getting drawn for blinds. Join the state waterfowl association. Google Earth is your friend. I take a lot of new hunters out and show them the ropes. I am sure we can find room in the boat for you and your dog this season.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:23 am

Wingman509 wrote:I am currently in the process getting ready to move to Vancouver Washington. I have a 7 month old black lab retriever and he is already on his way to his first hunting titles. he has passes towards his Nahara started retriever title and a junior hunt pass towards his akc jh title. He is a hell of a dog for his age! we just started working on his handle and he is doing well. our problem is we are both rookiesin waterfowl hunting. not to mention we're going to be new to the Vancouver Washington area.I am going to go on Washington fishing games sites and start doing a little research. what public land is even near this location to hunt.? I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has any info to help a rookie in the area that would be greatly appreciated. I don't want anyone secret spots or anything like that I just want to know where a rookie should start scouting and researching?I have calls,a little 12 foot jon boat, decoys and a well trained dogs just need a little help shoving off from the shore! I am currently in Spokane Wa but will be moving by late August! :thumbsup: t

You are already ahead of the game if your dog is nearly ready to go. Mine is almost 8 months and I'm sweating it out trying to get him ready in time for the opener. Keep up the good work on the dog and you'll have plenty of hunting partners this year. Hunting with a good finished retriever makes life so much more enjoyable. :welcome:
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby Wingman509 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:32 pm

thanks for the replies everyone!
ScaupHunter wrote:Drop me a pm when you get here. I will take you out and show you some walk in areas. We can dove hunt while walking a few of them once season opens up. Look into applying at the Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge for getting drawn for blinds. Join the state waterfowl association. Google Earth is your friend. I take a lot of new hunters out and show them the ropes. I am sure we can find room in the boat for you and your dog this season.

I will definitely pm you when I get over there!

I have put in many hours with the pup! He is coming along way ahead of schedule!
Wingman509
Newb

Postby Tealer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:07 pm

I am in your neck of the woods also. If you can hunt during the week, I'm always looking for someone to hunt with.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby jmp_10 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:43 pm

I'm in Vancouver as well and it will be my first year hunting ducks out here. Originating from Southern California and haven't been out duck hunting ever. I'm looking for someone who can show me the ropes as well. I know it might be a lot to ask, but I'm willing to put in the work and help out with whatever any of you need. Can I potentially get an invite as well??

I've got a 9 month old pup that is all wound up from his previous owner keeping him in his kennel most of its life. Working on the basics with him.
jmp_10
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:48 pm

jmp 10 drop me a line when your in town. I have a standing offer to new hunters and local guys to fill a seat in the boat when one is open. The more hunters the merrier in my book.

Take Tealer up on his offer to hunt if he is willing to take you as well. He is a local hunter with a ton of experience and lots of great hunting spots.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting