Sweltering 90*s

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, casey_714, jjohnson_714

Re: Sweltering 90*s

Postby kgrant » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:49 pm

They have no idea what's in store for them In a month.
kgrant
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:52 pm

After a fried trout breakfast this morning, I went out to to mow the lawn.
Hadn't been on the mower 15 min when I saw the lawn covered with dark shadows moving swiftly across it.
Tho I couldn't hear a thing over the noise of the mower, I knew what I was seeing before I even looked up.
Hundreds of geese, perhaps scared off a nearby grainfield, were passing overhead in one large group, and of course I had to shut off the mower to enjoy the ruckus.

I have been counting the days and weeks all summer, waiting for the start of the first opening day bird hunt, and even tho it will only be for doves, it is a very important part of a years long tradition in my hunting group.
Perhaps that first opening day hunt means something different to each of our group, but I think we are very close to being on the same page each year, as it usually draws together all the usual suspects who seem to set everything else aside for the event.
I think I am better able to tolerate these high temps the last few days, knowing that change is coming soon now, and the mark of it will be that first hunt!
Barely over a week now.
I think I'm gonna make it!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:10 pm

Well , we don't even have water to put-out the Rim Fire here , much less for the Waterfowl or fish so , I'll be happy just
to see a few birds . Does anyone know if Ducks dust themselves ? If so , I might have a chance !

Jim keep talking , current events are nice to hear . Now when you say Doves ,Yes , we have Doves !

3200 man
3200 man
hunter

Postby Jesse Minish » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:16 am

Oh how I miss hunting Dove... I lived in the Nampa area for a few months about 10 years ago and shot so many dove. Lots of fun!
Jesse Minish
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:15 pm

Still not that sense of "Autumn" in the air just yet, but it can't be more than just days away!
Had really good rain over the weekend. Cooler temps coming for next week for the most part.

Dove season one week away today! Eastern Idaho State Fair is less than that!

Not so far away now will be the gold and orange leaves, and the frost on the Pumpkin soon to follow.

Spent the weekend scouting for yet more hunting locations. Enjoyed some unlooked for success!

Everything is shaping up nicely. Going to be a great hunting season just ahead!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:57 am

Not prepared to say all of the sweltering 90*s are behind us just yet, but the ten day forecast has been changed to show several more days of thundershowers and lower temps than they were calling for just a few days ago.
Hope we get at least the opening day dove hunt in before anything really drastic happens.
After that....let 'er rip!
Indian Summer with a good cool rain every week until duck season starts!
How would that be?

Need some frosts to put all these Yellowjackets to bed. Can't ever remember seeing so many!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:02 am

I have many places to hunt this year in the mountains . My favorite is BLACK Mountain close to home and with this fire
(160,000 plus areas and growing ) there are lots of Black mountains to choose from !

Send some rain our way , please !
3200 man
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Well, 3200 man,
Read my latest post about a wet winter in N calif, in the calif thread. (or this link)
http://torontowxcenter.blogspot.ca/p/pr ... tlook.html
Who knows? We can only hope!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Just drove thru town and saw they'd hung the 'Welcome to the Eastern Idaho State Fair' Banner across our main street into town.
There is a noticeable increase in the hustle and bustle all over town now, and Blackfoot's one big social event is about to take place!

Always look forward to the State Fair. It's the one time I can tolerate big crowds, but I can do it for the food if nothing else, and there's always plenty else to see in fact.
It's only a week, and then Blackfoot settles back into the quiet little farming community it normally is, and seemingly even more so the week after the fair ends.

I'd made a late decision to try and go fishing today, as the Moon is well past full, and the fish should be coming back on the bite, but none of my friends could come out to play today, so I guess I'll just have to content myself posting a bit here, and planning for later.
Fishing and hunting will soon be dominating much more of my time during the daylight hours, and Sunday football, and the evening baseball playoffs a great deal more.
Come on September!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:41 pm

Once viewed , I went right in and put my Head-dress on , all I can do now is make my legs sore from hopping around
switching from leg to leg . It's good info ,if , it comes true !

I'm 45 miles from the western part of the fire and it's up hill from there , I can't imagine what our rivers will look like
once it starts raining , we might have really Black....Bass in our lakes .
3200 man
hunter

Postby InTheDecoys » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:26 pm

3200 man wrote:Once viewed , I went right in and put my Head-dress on , all I can do now is make my legs sore from hopping around
switching from leg to leg . It's good info ,if , it comes true !

I'm 45 miles from the western part of the fire and it's up hill from there , I can't imagine what our rivers will look like
once it starts raining , we might have really Black....Bass in our lakes .

rain in idaho??? ya right.. :no:
InTheDecoys.... Take em
InTheDecoys
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:01 pm

Swarms of doves. Absolutely swarms. More than I may have ever seen in a field I have permission to hunt. Pheasants were cackling around us while we stood in the field. Greenheads flying by. We know the geese will be there later. They are using it now.
I know where I'll be hunting Sunday! I'll be in that same field for pheasants and Honkers later on. So will dams10ww, he was with me today.
Farmer welcomed us to hunt it, and several other pieces of property he owns. Later, had much longer chat with his son, and his friend while in the field itself. That in turn led to even more information, and other hunting locations and invitations for later pheasant hunts in even better fields. Walked away just a bit giddy. This last week has seen hunting opportunities open up all over Eastern Idaho. Checking out even more leads tomorrow! Gonna be a great hunting season!
Scouting pays off!

Come on Autumn!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby kgrant » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:26 pm

That is awesome and good luck to you guys. I am still trying to locate those tasty birds but so far no luck hope ya'lls opener goes well :thumbsup:
kgrant
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:02 am

At long last the dog days of summer seem to be ending.
Had a great opening day dove hunt, but the following morning, Labor Day, the rains came, and came in earnest.
We've had several good soaking rains since, and they seem to have run off most of the doves, but in the process they seem to be ushering in the change to autumn.
I'll take the trade off!
Went to the Eastern Idaho State Fair yesterday and got into the food. Watched the Boston Red Socks beat the Detroit Tigers 20-4 later that night.
Woke up to a good heavy rain this morning. Raining as I type this. Everything seems to be saying the sweltering 90*s are being banished.................. finally.
All good things are come at last!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:55 am

Checking posts from another forum, I see that two years ago the temperature was 90* September 29th.
Opening day duck hunt here in E Idaho was exceptionally warm then, but the day after finally saw the heat break with cool showers.
Things seem to be shaping up a bit differently this year.

Now that the State Fair has come and gone, we've already seen some good moisture. Temps have held steady in the mid eighties, but it seems the last few storms have already reduced the dove population significantly, but not before we were able to get in an opening afternoon hunt. One of the best in years.

This morning is the coolest we've had , but as close as it seems, it does not feel like Autumn has arrived just yet in the valley.
That sense that we've turned the corner into Autumn seems just out of reach, but close.

When it comes, it will be time to abandon the Sweltering 90*s thread, and move into one devoted to the fall season.
Fall 'til Christmas. Is there anything better?
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:48 pm

Just a week past Memorial day, and as early as it still is, seems fall is forever ahead of us.
But, the weather hasn't turned hot just yet, (tho mid 80s* is predicted this week), and the longer that is held at bay, the easier the wait is going to be.
Snowball bush outside is all in bloom just now, and is really pretty. Jan has planted flowers, and I built up the dikes around our irrigation ditches so we are getting a good yard flood.
Always amazes me how crappy everything looks in the yard as soon as the winter snow goes away, "The Brown Time" we call it, and then the green time comes, and everything comes back into order and beauty.

Haven't had the boat in the river yet. The river is nearly down to normal flow levels, but the color isn't right. Don't know what's mucking it up? Haven't heard any reports of big fish being caught yet, and I'm not seeing many fishermen on the river banks, or in boats either.
Can't wait to get on the water.

But my favorite time is still the fall, the yellows and reds in the trees and bushes, the cooler air after the long days of summer heat, the first fall rains, and then those first heavy, wet snows while the trees are still full of autumn leaves.
Still liking things now tho, but you know I'll be counting down the days 'til summer is over, and it hasn't even
started yet!.
Hey! Just two more months until NFL football. (Preseason of course)
Come on fall.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby jdinid » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:30 pm

I'm currently sitting in the yard at our cabin. The river here has been 1200 cfs above normal for several weeks now but it appears to be dropping back in the normal range. On the plus side, the fire pit has been cleaned out. :)

The garden is looking great and fishing CJ Strike with a friend I'll be hunting with yielded 74 Smallmouth over eight hours.

And yes, fall is coming. :)
jdinid
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:25 pm

Ah, Smallmouth bass.
What I wouldn't give to catch a dinner's worth.
May have to drag the boat to American Falls to catch some.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby jdinid » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:41 pm

Fsbirdhouse wrote:Ah, Smallmouth bass.
What I wouldn't give to catch a dinner's worth.
May have to drag the boat to American Falls to catch some.

Did Tempura Bass Saturday. Turned out pretty good. I'm going to do a Chinese style whole fish next go around.

Oh, and even if you quadruple bag it, it's not good to have fish carcasses sitting in the garbage for three days...
jdinid
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:23 pm

Three days?
OW!
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:38 am

With the hot weather here , only 2 hours after sun-up and 2 hours before dark is bearable for fishing for Bass .
My Son being a Tournament fisherman already looks like a Raccoon with his tan !

I received some pic's from my Brother of the beauty around his house in Thayne , what a wonderland of Spring as his
golf cart was loaded and he was headed out to use White Balls instead of Black ones !

He says the Gray's river is not far from , just right ! I'm looking forward to finding out as I'm getting tired of eating
Bass and Tilapia !

3200 man
3200 man
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:45 am

My river just came up even higher over the last two days. Not gonna be on it for a while I think.
Wife's got me building walls outa landscape bricks. Looking to put in a Birch tree or some such white bark, yellow fall leaf tree, in the back corner of the property.
Guess I'd best get that done before the real hot weather comes.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:40 pm

Fsbirdhouse wrote:My river just came up even higher over the last two days. Not gonna be on it for a while I think.
Wife's got me building walls outa landscape bricks. Looking to put in a Birch tree or some such white bark, yellow fall leaf tree, in the back corner of the property.

How's the fishing up there in September?
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:45 pm

Fsbirdhouse wrote:My river just came up even higher over the last two days. Not gonna be on it for a while I think.
Just a note of caution on birches in Idaho, they all seem to die from borers! Usually after you've watched them grow big, and then sadness. The "river birches" that grow in clumps seem to do a little better than the white birch. Just thought you might want to know........
blackrock
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:02 pm

blackrock wrote:
Just a note of caution on birches in Idaho, they all seem to die from borers! Usually after you've watched them grow big, and then sadness. The "river birches" that grow in clumps seem to do a little better than the white birch. Just thought you might want to know........

Uh Oh.........Thanks,
Come to think of it, our neighbor lost his a couple of years ago.
May have to go with a Quaking Aspen.

We have a maple in the front yard, and it's really pretty in the fall, but I want something that will grow fast.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting