Dog and copperhead bite

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

Dog and copperhead bite

Postby EHO IV » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:51 pm

Anyone on here ever have a dog bitten by a copperhead before? Mine got tagged on the nose this afternoon. Swelled up like a balloon. Took him to an emergency vet this evening and they have in anti inflamatories and pain meds. Had to spend the night for observation and IV fluids. Thank goodness for pet insurance. Would have cost me a fortune but would have been worth it!
EHO IV
hunter

Re: Dog and copperhead bite

Postby cut_un » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:10 pm

Yea, He will get over it, makes em sick and looks real bad but will be good as new before long!!
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:19 pm

That sounds like what happened to my mutt. IDK if it was a Copperhead or not though.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:03 pm

I worry about that everday b/c I have two dogs (black & yellow lab) that are known to run off at a drop of a hat , I would like to hear more about this pet insurance ?

:eek: LD :clapping:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby old1neck » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:52 am

x2 on the pet insurance
What time is shooting time?
old1neck
hunter

Postby EHO IV » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:59 am

LD I have my insurance through VIP pet insurance. For each dog it is like $28/month. They typically cover 80-90% after a $50 deductible. Haven't really had to use it before for anything major but glad I have it now. You always wonder if it is worth it but you don't notice the small monthly payments. Now I glad I kept it up. Bc of having to go to an emergency vet, the bill will be between $1200-$1500 and that is without the antivenum. Dr said the antivenum was $1500. Don't usually need to use that except on smaller dogs that get a nailed. Checked on him today and he is doing better. Finally was able to eat something once the pain meds kicked in. Should get him back this evening.
EHO IV
hunter

Postby Willie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:24 am

Saw on another board earlier this week a guy's dog got bit in the face, actually right in the eye, by a copperhead and the dog died at the vet.
Willie
hunter

Postby skydog » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:09 am

From what I've seen/heard, this has been one of the worst years for Copperheads in a long time...had one come within 6 inches of getting me on a golf course in Caroline county a few weeks ago. Fortunately he stayed put after he tried to strike me and I was able to back the golf cart right over him :hammer:
skydog
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:26 am

I wish I had taken the route of insurance. My golden has cost me over 5k in vet bills.
BACK BAY/PUNGO LOCAL WANNABE
Back Bay Hazardous Sea Conditions Navigation Expert
Back Bay Entitlement & Anti Sunday hunting supporter
Moving to Front Royal, VA to be close to my friends
Don't Take My Blind Whiner/Complainer/Victim & Apparent Homo
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:27 am

AND, glad to hear the pup is doing better too. Keep us posted on the prgress. Picture?
BACK BAY/PUNGO LOCAL WANNABE
Back Bay Hazardous Sea Conditions Navigation Expert
Back Bay Entitlement & Anti Sunday hunting supporter
Moving to Front Royal, VA to be close to my friends
Don't Take My Blind Whiner/Complainer/Victim & Apparent Homo
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby EHO IV » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:45 am

Got him back last night. He was pretty much out of it due to the pain and anti anxiety meds. According to the Dr. we was very anxious in the kennel and uncormfortable. He kept moving around and tangling the IVs. The only time he would settle down was when a technicial would lay with him. So they gave him meds to settle down. Got home and just put his head in my lap and went to sleep. Stayed downstairs with him last night. He kept having to go out to take a leak from all of the fluids they gave him. Bill ended up being $1,300 but thankfully insurance will cover about 80% of it. I know the Carytown Emergency vet is supposedly pricey but it was the only one that I could think of at the time and they did a great job with him so I am thankful of that. Swelling has gone down alot from when I took him in. He seems ok but a little slow/foggy today. He is on pain meds for the next couple of days and no exercise except walks for a week. The swelling will drain from his face down to his neck and chest. The vet took some pics and If I can get a hold of them, I will post them up.
EHO IV
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:58 am

EHO IV wrote:Got him back last night. He was pretty much out of it due to the pain and anti anxiety meds. According to the Dr. we was very anxious in the kennel and uncormfortable. He kept moving around and tangling the IVs. The only time he would settle down was when a technicial would lay with him. So they gave him meds to settle down. Got home and just put his head in my lap and went to sleep. Stayed downstairs with him last night. He kept having to go out to take a leak from all of the fluids they gave him. Bill ended up being $1,300 but thankfully insurance will cover about 80% of it. I know the Carytown Emergency vet is supposedly pricey but it was the only one that I could think of at the time and they did a great job with him so I am thankful of that. Swelling has gone down alot from when I took him in. He seems ok but a little slow/foggy today. He is on pain meds for the next couple of days and no exercise except walks for a week. The swelling will drain from his face down to his neck and chest. The vet took some pics and If I can get a hold of them, I will post them up.

Wow, missed your thread 'EH. Glad things are more on the up and up.

Years ago I lost a 6mo. old to a Timber Rattler.
It sucked.

Might want to hear this from a Vet as well Ed, but a lot of us carry Benadryl to administer afield in the event of a snakebite. It helps quite a bit. Keeps the swelling down.
Hope pup recovers 100%.
:beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby EHO IV » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:07 am

Swamp, I actually gave him 50 mg of benadryl in the field before bringing him home and taking him to the vet. I have to do a follow up visit to my normal vet tomorrow and I am going to ask him if there is anything else to do besides taking him into an emergency vet. My trainer even said benadryl and he should be fine. I just read horror stories of dogs dying and didn't want to risk it. But even if benedryl is the best treatment, what else can you do for the pain and discomfort. Would be nice to carry something else in the firstaid kit to treat it.
EHO IV
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:47 am

EHO IV wrote:Swamp, I actually gave him 50 mg of benadryl in the field before bringing him home and taking him to the vet. I have to do a follow up visit to my normal vet tomorrow and I am going to ask him if there is anything else to do besides taking him into an emergency vet. My trainer even said benadryl and he should be fine. I just read horror stories of dogs dying and didn't want to risk it. But even if benedryl is the best treatment, what else can you do for the pain and discomfort. Would be nice to carry something else in the firstaid kit to treat it.

It has to run it's course- at least that's what I've heard from others and been told in the past by a Vet. I'd keep pup cool, and as comfortable as I could with plenty water.

If the 'doc prescribed some pain meds. that's about all you can do. After this is over and passed, I'd consider de-snaking, or a de- snaking clinic that'll be a good preventative, if you think this may happen again.

Once pup hears a rattle-(snake), and smells the likes of a snake again he/she will avoid the snake altogether :wink: .
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Percidae_Papermouth » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:11 pm

Second one this year... Had a Black and Tan/hound mix get bit a few years back, my mom stuffed a hotdog with four Benadryl and it saved its life, or so the vet said... Took the bite right on the ear, it swole up like a 22oz ribeye.
Attachments
image.jpg
Percidae_Papermouth
hunter

Postby Percidae_Papermouth » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:11 pm

Second one this year... Had a Black and Tan/hound mix get bit a few years back, my mom stuffed a hotdog with four Benadryl and it saved its life, or so the vet said... Took the bite right on the ear, it swole up like a 22oz ribeye.
Attachments
image.jpg
Percidae_Papermouth
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting