Wader recommendations for a big guy?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Wader recommendations for a big guy?

Postby Lawdforeman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:41 pm

Just started getting into duck hunting the past couple of seasons. Always been a deer hunter, and would shoot woodies in the flooded swamp I hunt in. I usually wear hip boots, but am looking for a good pair of waders for this season. I'm a big guy hears my problem I used to have a pair of neoprene waders from academy that I felt like a sausage stuffed into them. I've tried some of the big guy waders on at Cabelas, but couldn't walk because they were so long. I looked like a thug with my waders sagging they were so baggy. Sorry for the long post I guess I'm looking for a xl wader for a normal height person, I'm 5'10" about 230 with tree trunk for legs. Any one have some suggestions?
Lawdforeman
Newb

Re: Wader recommendations for a big guy?

Postby Normmcclean » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:33 am

Did you try the stout size waders? they are usually shorter inseam with plenty of room for us big guys. I am on the other end I am tall and big so waders are hard to find. I run lacrosse brush tuff 1600 they fit pretty good. The nice thing about the cabelas waders is once they start leaking and they will leak eventually you can take em back. Macks prarie wings has a big man wader and I believe rogers started making their own big guy wader. also get 1 bootsize too small theres nothing worse than walking in mud and having your foot pull out from your boot
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby Lawdforeman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:48 am

I know the boot size the very first year I bought hip boots I made the mistake of just grabbing the same size as my shoe size. Didn't last long in the muck until I busted my butt. Boot stayed in the mud out came my foot, and face first I went into the muck! I think they were the stout I tried on at cabelas. The nearest one to me is about 45 mins away, and every time I make the trip the wade section is always out of stock. I may end up ordering some.
Lawdforeman
Newb

Postby Normmcclean » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:07 pm

yeah I wear the 13 xl size lacrosse they are hard to come by. If you buy the cabelas brand they still have a decent warranty use them for 3 years and when they leak which they will if you hunt more than a few times a year. take them back even if they disscontinue your model they will give you credit for the last sale price.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby jeepman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:16 pm

I use Columbia waders. the durability of the neoprene isn't the best, but the price is reasonable depending on the amount of use you want to put in them. The stout fit me fine. I'm 6'1'' and am 230 and have not had problems with them. Also something to consider is if you are struggling with a comfortable fit of neoprene you could try a different material.
jeepman
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum