Boothbay Harbor

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Boothbay Harbor

Postby clymerfowler » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:30 am

are any of you on here near this area. my parents and i are going on vacation there august 1st through the 10th. would like to maybe stop in and talk to someone about hunting at some point during the week. wanting to get into smaller style diver hunting and figured some of you would maybe be able to give me some hints. i live in almost the most south western part of ny state you can go.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 206
Ducks-37
clymerfowler
hunter

Re: Boothbay Harbor

Postby Seaductor » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:33 pm

You won't have any trouble finding a seaduck guide and you could shoot a few regular divers with them but finding someone who specializes in just divers may be tough. I'm a puddleduck and goose guy but we do see a lot of ringers, whistlers and buffies from time to time. I don't know anyone that targets them as a habit. In fact, waterfowl guides other than seaduck guides are a rare commodity!
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:55 am

well i am basically wondering if there is anyone on here that is close to there i could maybe sit down and have a chat with sometime while im there. going there for a family vacation when nothings in season and im craving waterfowl
Pigeons-231
Geese- 206
Ducks-37
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:29 am

You're coming to Maine to hunt waterfowl when NY is full of it!!??? We've got decent hunting if you have local knowledge and work hard at it for puddlers at least.
Sea ducks were always the big draw but populations have crashed the last couple years and there are not near the number of birds around that there even 5 years ago. I used to see rafts of thousand and the last couple years, it's been more like a few hundred and not near as many rafts as there used to be.

The thought is that those big rafts of sea ducks have depleted the mussel supply to the point where birds have started wintering farther south. Enough so that there are several guides in Mass and Rhode Island offering decent hunts.
There is also the school of thought that says that too many years of high limits and too much pressure have depleted the population. I think the answer is probably a combination of the two.

Like I said, I don't know anyone who specifically targets diving ducks. Not to rain on your parade, but If I was looking to go somewhere, I'd consider another state with more reliable hunting.
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:14 am

No sorry im not coming to hunt. Me, my dad, and my mom are coming up the first week of august for a family vacation and i was looking to see if there was anyone close i could just spend the day with or whatever and talk about hunting with since there are no seasons in.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 206
Ducks-37
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby Robk » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:24 am

I'd put the depletion up on another factor as well. Eagles have been seen walking nest to nest and feasting on the babies out at Duck Island to the point the whole colony of nesting birds were wiped out.
Robk
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting