Diver decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Diver decoys

Postby Bufflehead dude » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:40 am

We jest got our duck boat and want to try out diver hunting I've been before with some of my buddies so I know how to do it what would be the best diver decoyies (bluebill canvasback bufflehead ) for my money??
Season total 2012 2013
Canada goose 1
Blue wing teal 1
Mallard 5
Wood duck 12
Hooded mergansers 3
Ringneck 1
Bufflehead 1
Blue bill 4
Bufflehead dude
hunter

Re: Diver decoys

Postby jscheirer » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:12 pm

I think you would see alot more blue bills so I would pick up 2 or 3 dozen of those, I also recommend just repainting old decoys that float into bluebills since they wont mind. 6 buffleheads would be nice set off to the side of those because buffs like to land with their own species
jscheirer
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:52 am

Check out the Tanglefree migration edition foam-filled decoys very nice!
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:20 am

jscheirer wrote: I also recommend just repainting old decoys that float into bluebills since they wont mind. 6 buffleheads would be nice set off to the side of those because buffs like to land with their own species

X10

Bills and diver spreads are gorgeous and you can really need deep pockets to do it well and nice....
that being said, they don't care what they are landing in.
if you keep 25% of your rig nice deeks and the rest repaints...(no matter how big a spread)....you will land birds

stand by for the stories of clorox bottles and lobster pot buoys
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:53 am

Find large groups of cheap decoys on craigslist. Rattle can them black and rattle can a white stripe in the middle. As mentioned put a dozen or so nice decoys out around the perimeter and you will kill the divers. Or you can just paint the bill colors and a yellow eye on a couple dozen cheapies and put those around the perimeter and kill a ton of birds. Or you can just paint them all black and still kill a ton of birds.

Bluebills in particular are not that picky about decoys.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum