Duck Hunting Forum banner

Mossy 935

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  clampdaddy 
#1 ·
I have seen all the post on how the majority of people do not like the 935. I have had my gun for a year now and absolutely love it. It cycles whatever shell I put threw it, whether it be high brass or just a cheap game load. This shotgun was well worth the price that I paid for it.

#4 ·
That is wonderful that you like the Mossberg.
After a friend lets you shoot his Beretta Xtrema2 or A400, however, you'll never look at the 935 in the same way again.
Same could be said about a new Browning, Winchester, Benelli, or even 11-87.

Because of that, my advice to you is never shoot any other shotgun. Ever. Seriously. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
The greater volume of the larger-bore 935 barrel should generally yield slightly lower pressures, which would mean slightly less payload velocity....though ANY difference in MV would be inconsequential.
I can get 100% patterns out of any of my shotguns, and have gotten them....so, statements like ned's mean little.

If you want a serviceable, low-cost shotgun then the Mossberg is probably the best of the lot. Go for it.

#7 ·
mudpack said:
The greater volume of the larger-bore 935 barrel should generally yield slightly lower pressures, which would mean slightly less payload velocity....though ANY difference in MV would be inconsequential.
I can get 100% patterns out of any of my shotguns, and have gotten them....so, statements like ned's mean little.

If you want a serviceable, low-cost shotgun then the Mossberg is probably the best of the lot. Go for it.
:eek: :eek: :eek: mudpack!!! Did you actually just say something...nice about a Mossberg??!! I think hell just froze over. :lol: :lol: :lol:

#11 ·
Jon Bergren said:
They just can't comprehend a 1865 fps load of 7/8 oz of B's penetrating to kill to 69.1 yds and will kill geese to 60 yds easily in a 935 with a Terror choke and don't tell me there isn't enough shot in this load to do this. Ned S
Because most people cannot hit out to 60-70 yards on a flying target as well as you can.

#12 ·
mudpack said:

The 935 shoots most of my reloads faster up as high as 100 fps faster. Also getting 100% patterns at 40 yds is unheard off unless you have a Hastings barrel, expecially if you are shooting 1600 fps- 1800 fps loads. Ned S

#16 ·
this is what an over bore can do for ya with right choke ect...these patterns are with custom choke...
both loads are with 7/8 oz of 1's and b's both over 1800 fps

even 835 is good gun they pattaern so good with all shot sizes it is by far the best shooting gun with steel shot. they really shine with bigger shot sizes 1-on up

also the width of that paper is 24 inches both are right over 31 inches for length just to give ya an idea.

Attachments

#18 ·
There's nothing wrong with the Mossberg X35 series guns. They are reliable and have a reputation for throwing some good patterns, especially with large steel. (They were actually designed to make up for the inadequacies of steel shot back in the late 80s, but that's another story.)

However, the true measure of a shotgun is not solely reliability or "perfect" patterns. The shooter has to be able to put the pattern on the target. And while the stock dimensions can be changed to fit the individual shooter (some guns have shims and such that the shooter can make the adjustments without a gunsmith), things like balance and MOI are more difficult to change. They are also features that are "secondary" in a lot of designs. There's a world of difference between a Mossberg 835 and an Ithaca M37 or a Remington 870 Wingmaster. Same holds for the 935 when compared to some of the other higher end semi autos.

About the only gripe I have regarding the X35s is the way they break down for cleaning. Some guns, like my Berettas and Remingtons, are a dream to break down. The entire complete cleaning, down to the firing pins, takes about 15 minutes. The Mossberg, which may in fact be a stronger design, is a good bit more difficult to break down for cleaning. For a lot of people that isn't an issue. But for those of us that hunt salt water marshes, a thorough cleaning after each outing is just about mandatory.

The bottom line is that if you can shoot it well enough to satisfy YOU (the only one that really matters), that that is all that matters.

Frank

#19 ·
Frank Lopez said:
There's nothing wrong with the Mossberg X35 series guns. They are reliable and have a reputation for throwing some good patterns, especially with large steel. (They were actually designed to make up for the inadequacies of steel shot back in the late 80s, but that's another story.)

However, the true measure of a shotgun is not solely reliability or "perfect" patterns. The shooter has to be able to put the pattern on the target. And while the stock dimensions can be changed to fit the individual shooter (some guns have shims and such that the shooter can make the adjustments without a gunsmith), things like balance and MOI are more difficult to change. They are also features that are "secondary" in a lot of designs. There's a world of difference between a Mossberg 835 and an Ithaca M37 or a Remington 870 Wingmaster. Same holds for the 935 when compared to some of the other higher end semi autos.

About the only gripe I have regarding the X35s is the way they break down for cleaning. Some guns, like my Berettas and Remingtons, are a dream to break down. The entire complete cleaning, down to the firing pins, takes about 15 minutes. The Mossberg, which may in fact be a stronger design, is a good bit more difficult to break down for cleaning. For a lot of people that isn't an issue. But for those of us that hunt salt water marshes, a thorough cleaning after each outing is just about mandatory.

The bottom line is that if you can shoot it well enough to satisfy YOU (the only one that really matters), that that is all that matters.

Frank
The 935 is not any more difficult to break down than any auto. With the bolt spring around the magazine it is most easy to break completely down for cleaning. Also mine has not given me any function issues. Worked perfect every pull of the trigger and outpatterns all my guns except the ones with a Hastings barrel then only 4% less. Ned S

#20 ·
goosepit2007 said:
this is what an over bore can do for ya with right choke ect...these patterns are with custom choke...
both loads are with 7/8 oz of 1's and b's both over 1800 fps

even 835 is good gun they pattaern so good with all shot sizes it is by far the best shooting gun with steel shot. they really shine with bigger shot sizes 1-on up

also the width of that paper is 24 inches both are right over 31 inches for length just to give ya an idea.
Those are some nice patterns. :thumbsup: Unfortunately I don't think I'd be able to hit a teal at 20-30 yards with a gun that shoots like that. :lol3:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.