Western KY

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Western KY

Postby bugle freak » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:55 pm

I am from Eastern part of the state, and am hoping to venture out western ky this winter, and was wondering your alls info on some public ground good for huntin? I know ballard is a hot spot, but dont know the details on how that works.

Anything is appreciated.
Thanks and God Bless!
bugle freak
hunter

Re: Western KY

Postby KyMike » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:03 am

Ballard and Boatwright both have lotteries for their blinds, Biatwright has public walk in and boating area. If you do not have a scheduled blind then you get in line to get the unclaimed ones. You will go to the Ballard office first. If your not drawn there the buggie on down the road to Boatwright office, aka a parking lot, and put in for those blinds. In the first part of the season and weekend you run a bigger risk of not getting drawn for any blinds. If I was coming from a long way off I would make sure I had a blind. It's a few buck to put in for each set of dates but I would put in for several days and get my buddies to do the same. Don't worry about which blind to choose, when you get there just ask the workers which blinds have been doing well, they will know. Last thing you will have a card to fill out each day to say how many people hunted and how many birds were harvested. Don't forget to turn that in.
KyMike
hunter

Postby mike_b » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:10 pm

Boatwright is a daily draw only. No scheduled blinds. Ballard has a standby draw for people who don't show up plus any additional blinds they have open. There is several other places nearby to hunt as well. Boatwright is an experience, that's for sure. I like it there.
mike_b
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:34 am

Ky Lake, Barkley, sloughs etc. some other first come first serve areas as well with less rules.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting