Inertia or Recoil

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Inertia or Recoil

Postby cwonder duck » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:58 pm

which is more reliable?
cwonder duck
hunter

Re: Inertia or Recoil

Postby dfrauenkron » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:31 pm

Same thing!
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby Jake88 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:40 pm

I assume you meant inertia or gas? Inertia (IMO) is more reliable than gas, but also kicks much harder
Jake88
hunter

Postby huntswithmutts » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:24 pm

As long as the gas piston is clean it shouldn't make a difference. Nothing is more reliable than an over under or side by side.
huntswithmutts
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:51 pm

dfrauenkron wrote:Same thing!

This. Unless you are talking about inertia (A5) or long recoil (Auto 5) which are basically the same destination with different paths. If that is what you are referring to, my vote is towards long recoil. If you are talking gas/inertia, I go inertia.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Jake88 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:57 pm

huntswithmutts wrote:As long as the gas piston is clean it shouldn't make a difference. Nothing is more reliable than an over under or side by side.

Truth
Jake88
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:06 pm

I shoot a few different ones. Browning gas gun, Benelli inertia, and an old Winchester short recoil. No complaints with any of them. If I had to say which one is the most reliable I would have to refer to a group that has done more testing on the gas vs. recoil/inertia issue......the military. They use gas. Good enough answer for me. It must be a solid gas system though.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:07 am

huntswithmutts wrote:As long as the gas piston is clean it shouldn't make a difference. Nothing is more reliable than an over under or side by side.

I disagree. My NEF single shot is. :hammer:
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:35 pm

Gas operated guns aren't even in this post.

There's a huge difference in these 2 actions. In very basic terms with recoil the barrel actually comes back to eject the shot shell. I don't know of any guns that are still made this way today.

In an inertia gun the recoil only compresses a spring. When this spring decompresses it applies a very short but quick push on the bolt. The weight of the bolt traveling rearward (inertia) keeps it moving to cycle the action.

I would have to say that an Inertia gun like a Benelli would be more reliable than a recoil gun like an A-5. But the new A-5 is from what I understand an inertia gun.

I own one of each and the action of the A-5 takes some getting used to when the inertia action is easier to get used too imo. They both have more kick than a gas operated gun. Hope this helps.
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:33 am

Inertia.
And I say that not because he inertia system in inherently superior to the long- or short-recoil system...but because the modern recoil operated guns are so much superior to any gun you can still buy that is recoil operated.
mudpack
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:16 pm

gearhead80 wrote: ......In very basic terms with recoil the barrel actually comes back to eject the shot shell. I don't know of any guns that are still made this way today.....

I believe the Fanchi 48 is still in production.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:41 am

clampdaddy wrote:
gearhead80 wrote: ......In very basic terms with recoil the barrel actually comes back to eject the shot shell. I don't know of any guns that are still made this way today.....

You are correct. I looked into it and why not, it works..
gearhead80
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:19 pm

I had a Remington 1100 that was gas, it had a hard time ejecting low brass trap loads. I'm not sure if an inertia driven action would do any better. But that's just my experience.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:21 pm

My inertia gun throws trap loads 5 feet to the right..
gearhead80
hunter

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:03 pm

Today's gas gun, extremely reliable. 1000 rounds or more between cleanings is no problem for my sx3
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby z51 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:27 am

Inertia guns tend to be somewhat load sensitive and aren't normally adjustable. Recoil guns require ring adjustment for light vs heavy loads. Including the AL-48. Pick your poison.
z51
hunter

Postby z51 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:50 am

clampdaddy wrote:

AFAIK it's only available in 20 gauge at this time.
z51
hunter

Postby Bug Doc » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:07 am

This is a question that defies an easy answer. Both are simply ways of harnessing the excess recoil energy to cycle the action. The design of the gun itself is what determines reliability, so you would really need to pick two specific models to test before you could come to a defensible conclusion.

Next, you would need to define reliability. Are you talking about the average number of malfunctions through clean guns, the number of shells you can fire before the gun gets so dirty it starts to malfunction due to powder residue, or are you talking about how much sand, grit, & mud you can throw in before it stops cycling? These are all different questions, and different models would react differently to these challenges.
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:31 pm

z51 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

AFAIK it's only available in 20 gauge at this time.

Actually they are producing it in 20 and 28 gauge with the latter being a fine little bird gun. As to Bug Doc's point the two actions are different with the newer inertia style having less moving parts resulting in a bit smoother and faster cycling action. Both are very good but the inertia is the action du-jour of modern day guns due to simplicity and cost of production.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Cobra7 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:45 pm

Hunted with a Browning Auto-5 Light Twelve 3 years ago in Oklahoma in -16 degree weather and my Auto-5 never missed a beat. My buddies Remington 11-87 and Beretta Extrema turned into single shots. We ended up sharing my Auto-5.
Cobra7
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:34 pm

gearhead80 wrote:I would have to say that an Inertia gun like a Benelli would be more reliable than a recoil gun like an A-5. But the new A-5 is from what I understand an inertia gun.

Both are reliable but Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, is more reliable than an old :bow: Browning Auto 5. 100 years of history proves that. Designed by a genius and made by craftsmen (both Belgian and Japanese). I may be just a tiny bit bias. :eek: :yes:
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby Cobra7 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:43 pm

You are exactly right. All this new stuff is just crap with no heart or soul. Let the action slam close on a Auto-5 and that says it all. Real steel baby!!! The biggest mistake Browning has ever made was discontinue the Auto-5.
Cobra7
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:53 am

Cobra7 wrote:You are exactly right. All this new stuff is just crap with no heart or soul. Let the action slam close on a Auto-5 and that says it all. Real steel baby!!! The biggest mistake Browning has ever made was discontinue the Auto-5.

Browning said it was just too expensive to make a gun like that today. I bet the price for a newone today would probably be $1500 to $1900. Who would pay that much for a shotgun especially when you can get a B something or other for so much less :lol3: :huh: ? Whatever :no:
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:11 am

Gas operated autos have significantly less recoil.
But, they also poop carbon on themselves.

Inertia operated autos send most of the carbon out the barrel right behind the payload.

Neither one is more reliable than the other.
Provided that both are well designed, well constructed, and well maintained.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby romeocadet08 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:17 am

Bug Doc wrote:This is a question that defies an easy answer. Both are simply ways of harnessing the excess recoil energy to cycle the action. The design of the gun itself is what determines reliability, so you would really need to pick two specific models to test before you could come to a defensible conclusion.

Next, you would need to define reliability. Are you talking about the average number of malfunctions through clean guns, the number of shells you can fire before the gun gets so dirty it starts to malfunction due to powder residue, or are you talking about how much sand, grit, & mud you can throw in before it stops cycling? These are all different questions, and different models would react differently to these challenges.

This guy gets it ^^^
romeocadet08
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum