Trade SX3 for Maxus?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Trade SX3 for Maxus?

Postby huntswithmutts » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:03 pm

Long story short, I was at the local range and had to rent a Maxus for a round of skeet and fell in love with the firearm. I already own an SX3 field, but have been thinking about the Maxus ever since. Would it be worth trading in a SX3 field for a Maxus stalker? I know they are so similar, but the gun fit so well....
huntswithmutts
hunter

Re: Trade SX3 for Maxus?

Postby JWG » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:59 pm

Dunno which Maxus ya shot but just a heads up. If it was a Sporting model it doesn't have the shell cut-off. All other Maxus models do and depending on your grip, the cut off gets in the way. THATS JUST ME, but otherwise helluvagun. Goes for both guns though, ya got a quarter?
$550-$750(trade in estimate) for ol x3 and $1100-$1300(new-ish price) on new Maxus
Last edited by JWG on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
JWG
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:56 pm

Yep, the cut-off sticks out too far and in a layout, you WILL engage it at the most inopportune time. Take a radiac and whack it off!

The only two real differences are the cut-off and speed-load, other than that they are basically the same. Except the stupid forend that rattles and wallows around.

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:59 pm

I'll post just the opposite of these. I've used my Maxus two seasons now and have NEVER had the cut-off lever catch on anything. As for affecting your grip, my hand is nowhere close to the cut-off lever when I'm shooting. All that said, I've only had reason to use the cut-off a few times as I have a 10ga with me 90% of the time.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby zophy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:47 pm

What is a cutoff? Thinking about buying a maxus
zophy
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:28 pm

zophy wrote:What is a cutoff? Thinking about buying a maxus

The magazine cutoff allows you to empty the chamber without cycling another round from the magazine into the chamber.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:56 am

It isn't your hand, it hangs on grass, limbs, and other crap you put on your layout.

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby team_reload » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:11 am

I dont know why everyone is making the cut off switch such a big deal. I own a maxus and hunted all last season, Dove, Pheasant, duck, goose with it and never had the cut off switch come on once. How many people here that are talking bad about them actualy own a maxus or are you just writing what you heard someone else say they had a problem with? I can say first hand Gloves, no gloves, army crawling, lay down blinds, sliding into a gun case, back seat of a truck, moving your hands around it, have never posed a problem at all. Great gun you will not be disappointed.
Bangin' Birdies
team_reload
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:10 pm

team_reload wrote:I dont know why everyone is making the cut off switch such a big deal. I own a maxus and hunted all last season, Dove, Pheasant, duck, goose with it and never had the cut off switch come on once. How many people here that are talking bad about them actualy own a maxus or are you just writing what you heard someone else say they had a problem with? I can say first hand Gloves, no gloves, army crawling, lay down blinds, sliding into a gun case, back seat of a truck, moving your hands around it, have never posed a problem at all. Great gun you will not be disappointed.

Not to mention it's been on all the A5's over the years and I've never heard of that problem. A friend of mine has a few A5's and has never had a glitch with the cut off, a Belgium Sweet 16 and a Light 20.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby team_reload » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:40 pm

Baymen Moe wrote:
team_reload wrote:I dont know why everyone is making the cut off switch such a big deal. I own a maxus and hunted all last season, Dove, Pheasant, duck, goose with it and never had the cut off switch come on once. How many people here that are talking bad about them actualy own a maxus or are you just writing what you heard someone else say they had a problem with? I can say first hand Gloves, no gloves, army crawling, lay down blinds, sliding into a gun case, back seat of a truck, moving your hands around it, have never posed a problem at all. Great gun you will not be disappointed.

Not to mention it's been on all the A5's over the years and I've never heard of that problem. A friend of mine has a few A5's and has never had a glitch with the cut off, a Belgium Sweet 16 and a Light 20.

x2
Bangin' Birdies
team_reload
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:09 pm

you would take a substantial loss and you would gain very little, think on it for a month then decide.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:56 am

Back to the cut off debate. I handled a Maxus yesterday. The cut off switch does stick out further than on the old A5's, so I now see how a snag could happen. The old A5 cut off switches were more rounded and sat flatter to the back of the receiver.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:11 pm

Baymen Moe wrote:Back to the cut off debate. I handled a Maxus yesterday. The cut off switch does stick out further than on the old A5's, so I now see how a snag could happen. The old A5 cut off switches were more rounded and sat flatter to the back of the receiver.

Hunt out of a layout using raffia grass long enough and it will happen. It happened to me once too often, when a banded Pintail was dropping into the decoys, feet down at about 20yds, shot the back bird first to get him out a little bit, went to drop the hammer, nothing. That day, I whacked it off and never looked back.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:27 pm

huntswithmutts wrote:Long story short, I was at the local range and had to rent a Maxus for a round of skeet and fell in love with the firearm. I already own an SX3 field, but have been thinking about the Maxus ever since. Would it be worth trading in a SX3 field for a Maxus stalker? I know they are so similar, but the gun fit so well....

The same thing happened to me during my first marriage. Be careful, even the "replacement gun" will lose its luster after a few more rounds of "skeet".
dgram36
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum